Meow, Meow

Nine

11:52 my clock reads. I turn my head stiffly, staring up at the ceiling.

Just hours ago I was in the same position, only with a wholly different set of issues on my mind. Now instead of thinking about myself all I can think about is that girl, or cat, or whatever she is.

First she was this warm presence that I feel totally comfortable with latching onto, then she was this cat girl with eyes that I could get lost in, and finally she was the little puff ball tabby that has been staying in my house for almost three weeks.

The fact that I have no idea exactly what she happens to be is not the only part of this whole thing that has me confused.

When I told her to get out- her expression crumbled, her eyes showed nothing but the purest sadness. It was like I had told her the most horrible thing in the world, like I had told her I had killed her mother or something.

For some reason I feel shameful and guilty because of this. I put that look on her face. I made her feel that way.

Wait. What the hell am I thinking?!

She was in my house, naked off all things, and in my bed, lying with me. I have every right to be pissed off!

But… It did feel really nice when she was holding me, all warm and safe feeling. And she didn’t seem to want to hurt me. If anything it looked like she was truly being honest.

“I just want to be here with you.” Her words echo inside my head, making me writhe uncomfortably.

Why would she want to be with me? Because I’m her… What did she say? Her mate.

Yea, then there’s that. She called me her mate, which I can only assume she means like her wife or girlfriend.

I don’t see how she could come to such a conclusion when not only has she not even really talked to me but she doesn’t know me. Let alone the fact that she thinks that it’s all fine and dandy to tell me this after I find her in my bed.

Again my mind goes back to the fact that I was cuddled up against her, clutching her as she was willingly holding me back. I remember how comforted I felt and safe.

My face goes flush with heat, and I turn over burying my face in the satin softness of my pillowcases.

As I’m rolling in the pit of my own embarrassment something I’ve never thought of pops into my head.

Should I report her to the police?

Mulling this over briefly, I decide that’s probably not going to be the best idea. They probably won’t believe me anyway- a girl with cat ears and a tail was in my room, cuddling naked with me in my bed. Yeah, not very believable. And I realize that I don’t want to her into huge trouble or anything.

Ugh!

As if I didn’t have enough shit to worry about in my life.

Getting up quickly, I shut the light off again and slide into bed. After a lot of twisting and turning I eventually manage to somehow fade into a fretful sleep.

~

The next day I wake feeling like absolute shit. There’s a mild throbbing in my head and my muscles are achy.

Pushing this and what happened last night out of my head, I focus of things that are really more important.

I have two back to back morning classes at nine and a night class that starts at three and ends late. During the break I spend my time in the library working. It’s not that bad on most days. It gives me the time I need to study and get work done. But today I can’t focus.

It’s her. The girl, cat, whatever.

Every time it gets the chance my mind decides to wonder, and my thoughts always end up about that girl, cat, or whatever she is.

The look on her face sticks inside my head as if painted directly onto my eyeballs.

Her eyes- the perfect mix of golden hazel and stormy gray, welling up with tears and her slender, freckled frame trembling with emotion. The way her lips quivered and her ears fell, by themselves. I can’t seem to put it out of my mind.

The clearing of someone’s throat snaps me from me reverie and I look up quickly.

I’m met with the face of my old crush and best guy friend Chris. His eyes flicker momentarily to my cleavage before he quickly raises his gaze and focuses on my face.

“Like what you see?” I ask coyly, forgetting about her and leaning over slightly to get a rise out of him. It works. His eyes fall back towards my chest and his gaze lingers.

“You know I do.” He smirks once his dark brown hues meet mine again, licking his lips slightly and leaning with his elbows pressed against the desk I’m sitting behind.

“Now what would your girlfriend say if she saw you ogling me.” I chide playfully, waiting for his response.

“What girlfriend?” He huffs, his face constricting into a grimace.

He hates it when I mention anything about him having an actual girlfriend, especially since his last one left him the day before their one year anniversary.

He’s always a big flirt, but after that he became an outright raging womanizer, bringing girls home, fucking them and leaving them. Sometimes I barely been recognize him. Still he’s my friend and he’s been there almost as long as Lucia.

Instead of continuing my game with him, I lean up and ask. “So what’s up? You’re supposed to be in class anyway.”

“Oh.” He straightens himself also, looking as if he genuinely forgot. He twists his large fingers through the braids in his hair as if he can’t figure out the reason he’s here in the first place.

The seconds lengthen. I narrow my eyes, eyeing him suspiciously.

“Yeah, well,” He begins, pausing hesitantly, which is something that is definitely not him. Him glances away briefly, his mouth pursing as he tries to find the words. “I noticed you’ve been down lately I was wondering if you wanted to go out with me tomorrow afternoon.”

I smile. Now this is the Chris I remember so fondly. “Yeah, Chris, of course. Where are we going?”

He returns my smiles, all his horribly crooked teeth showing. “Can’t tell you. It’s a surprise.”

Rolling my eyes, I huff and pout my lips, trying to get him to tell me. He doesn’t budge and I just sigh, “Okay.”