Status: New :)

Let It Roll

Bring it on, summer.

I took a few deep breaths and glanced at the two other people seated in the waiting room with me. I assumed that they were both also candidates for the internship that I was here to interview for.

That middle-aged tubby guy with an unshaven face? He didn't stand a chance. Why would Nickelodeon studios hire someone who had no idea what appealed to kids? I looked down at the man's left hand. There was no ring. Which probably meant no kids. Yep, he wouldn't have any idea what would appeal to children and therefore would not stand a chance.

The blonde doll with a pixie-cut hairdo? She seemed well-put together. Her outfit was professional if not a bit outdated. Her nail polish was chipped; it didn't help that in between chewing on her gum with her mouth wide-open like a cow, she'd bite her nails. If she did that during the interview as a nervous habit, she'd be swept under the rug.

“Popov, Bridget?”

My head turned in the direction of the receptionist's voice.

“Follow me, please.”

I nodded and grabbed my purse from the chair beside me. As she led me to the studio director's office, I reeled through the benefits of interning for Nickelodeon Productions this summer.

1. I was provided with an apartment in a complex not far from the studio, which meant I was in an affordable yet safe part of Los Angeles, free of charge. So, I was home, but not living with my parents.

2. I would be learning the ropes of the entertainment industry from one of the surviving greats of childrens' entertainment, Nickelodeon.

And 3. I'd be getting paid. A lot. $18 an hour, starting.

“Good luck,” the receptionist said to me with a smile, as she pointed towards a door at the end of the hallway. I smiled back, whispered a quick “Thank you,” and walked the rest of the way by myself. I took a deep breath before letting myself in.

The room was not as grandiose as I had expected, but was actually kind of tiny. A wall of windows allowed sunlight to shine brightly into the room, illuminating the dark furniture decorating the room. I was no interior designer, but the rug didn't quite match every other piece of furniture. Somehow, it fit.

“Bridget Popov?”

I quickly took my seat and smiled at the man sitting in the chair behind the desk. He was older, you could tell, but he had a young vibe to him.

“Let me just ask you one question. Why are you here?”

I was taken aback by the sudden start of the interview.

“Excuse me?”

“My apologies for the abruptness of this all. I'm not interested in learning about you quite yet, all of the basic information I would want to find would have been included in your initial application. I just want to know why you're here, applying for this internship.

“The other few applicants who got by our pre-screening process include a middle-aged man with all of the proper requirements but none of the preferred interest or experience and another college student your age majoring in mass communication. Unfortunately for her, my secretary did a Google search on her and discovered that her focus is on how all children's programming these days is a detriment to society. Needless to say, she won't be working for me.

You're the only applicant that I can see working out for me this summer. So, wow me with your answer to the question I asked previously and this internship is yours. I'll tell my receptionist the position has been filled and the other two can go home without wasting my time.”

I let out a nervous laugh and gulped air. I took a deep breath before nodding and launching into what I hoped sounded like a heartfelt explanation as to why this internship was perfect for me.

“Ever since I was a kid, I would come home from a day at school and immediately turn on the TV. I'd watch programs while I was doing my homework. All That, Kenan and Kal, and The Amanda Show were my favorites. And then the green slime would just make me laugh for days. I grew up with these shows and people that I am proud to say shaped my sense of humor to be what it is to this day, and I can't imagine spending my summer doing anything else, anywhere else.

“I want to learn more about this industry, and I want to do it in a way that will mean more to me than sitting behind some desk. Nickelodeon, one of the primary sources of today's children entertainment, is my first choice for learning what I want to. And if I can't do it here, than I know I'm missing out.”

The man behind the desk sat still for a minute before nodding resolutely. He took a deep breath before picking up the phone and dialing just two numbers.

“Jenna, please release the two applicants waiting in the lobby. Tell them the position has been filled. I'll be going home early today so forward all calls to my cell phone.”

He put the phone back on the receiver and looked straight at me.

“My name is Mr. Lennox but you can call me Charlie. I did not introduce myself initially because who I am is not important because I am not the one in charge of the studio interns. You will meet Mrs. Collier on Monday when you start. I'll have Jenna email you the information packet. Show up on time, wear business casual attire.”

“Yes, of course, thank you.”

Charlie stood up from his chair and extended his arm across the desk. I shook his hand and smiled at him.

“You won't regret this, I promise. I won't let you down.”

I turned to leave the room. I was just at the door when I heard Charlie call my name.
“Bridget, it's not me you have to worry about. Mrs. Collier... well, she is an entirely different story.”

I furrowed my eyebrows and gulped. I managed a weak smile, nodded my head, and left the room.

Summer, bring it on!
♠ ♠ ♠
http://www.polyvore.com/office/set?id=54534952

Enjoy :)

Please, leave comments and recommend!