Status: Fin.

Live In Reality

Chapter 5

“Lenore,” Chantal knocked on the door her friend was behind. “Come on. Get dressed; we’ve got to go to work.”

“I’m not going into the office today,” she muttered into her pillow.

“Yes, you are,” Chantal said as she walked in. “Let’s go.”

“Why should I go with you?” Lenore asked looking up at your friend.

“Because I’m your best friend and I would never do anything to hurt you,” she said patting her friends back. “Come on. We’re going for coffee, my treat.”

“Starbucks?” Lenore perked up.

“Where else?” Chantal smiled. “Up and at ‘em!”

Lenore dressed in something that would let her feel comfortable while still being deemed sophisticated enough for the office. She loaded her purse with her BlackBerry, wallet, iPod, a few work papers, and her father’s pocket watch.

“Can we go now?” she asked as she walked down to the kitchen.

Chantal glanced up from her phone. “Sure. We’ve got a busy day at the office. And tomorrow we have to go in to the studio to meet with the contractors.” She had reverted back to her assistant attitude. “Coffee on the way.”

*****

“So you’ll pay for my- to quote you- ‘ridiculous caffeine fix’?” Lenore mused.

“I owe you,” Chantal sighed. “So yes, I will. So long as you won’t make me drink any.”

“Fair enough,” she laughed.

As they waited for their drinks, Lenore was blind to the hockey player that had walked in with a hat pulled low over his face and sunglasses over his eyes. Chantal caught sight of him out of the corner of her eye and she gave a slight nod.

“I’m going to go to the bathroom,” she said. “Grab my drink and meet me out front?”

Lenore nodded. “Sure thing, Chan.”

As her friend moved to the back of the coffeehouse, Lenore stood clicking around on her BlackBerry. Unbeknownst to her, Sidney was slowly making his way over to her.

As she felt a hand on her elbow, Lenore whipped around.

“Excuse me?” she asked.

“Lenore,” he breathed out. Pulling off his sunglasses, he locked eyes with her. “Can we talk?”

“No,” she shook her head. “You can’t have figured all this out.” Lenore grabbed both drinks from the counter. “You’re not that good, Sidney.”

Before he could respond, a voice called out.

“Look! It’s Sidney Crosby!”

Lenore was shuffled to the back of a mob of fans and pressed towards the door.

Looking back at her boyfriend, she saw his eyes locked on her. Letting her lips curl into the smallest of smiles, she pushed out the door. Hoping that Chantal would follow, she made her way out to the car.

*****

Sidney watched her walk out of the coffee house for a long moment. She had looked back, that had to mean something. Lenore had even been wearing his necklace.

“Was that your girlfriend?” a fan asked as he signed her hat.

He looked at her with wide eyes. Was she still his girlfriend?

“I hope so,” Sidney said quietly as he thought carefully. “I just hope I didn’t screw it up too much.”

“Don’t let her get away,” the girl smiled. “If she’s worth the thought you seem to have put towards her, that is.”

Sidney looked back towards the door where he could see Lenore and Chantal in the parking lot.

“She definitely is,” he nodded. “She’s worth everything.”
♠ ♠ ♠
What do you think? Now that Chantal's and Sidney's plan has gone awry, what do you think they'll do? More importantly, what do you think is going through Lenore's head? Let me know what's on your minds, lovelies!

What Lenore Wore