Status: Fin.

Live In Reality

Chapter 6

“This place really does look amazing,” Stephenie said looking around the studio. The contractors were long gone-as were Lenore’s work clothes- and the Lemieux daughter had stopped in for a little dancing session.

“Thanks,” Lenore smiled as she adjusted her spandex shorts. “It’s been a lot of work, I’ll tell you.”

“I’m sure,” she nodded. “But it’ll all be worth it when this place reopens. I’m excited for the gala.”

Lenore stood up and stretched with her left leg up on the barre. “Me too. I’ve never had one here so it’ll be different.”

The two work in silence for a few minutes as they stretch out their muscles and Lenore decides upon a song for them to dance to. Not finding one she liked enough, Lenore hits ‘shuffle’ on her iPod to let it choose a song for her.

Lo and behold, the one song Lenore didn’t want to hear begins to play. Honestly by Hot Chelle Rae filled the speakers, leaving Lenore staring at Stephenie.

“We can pick a different song,” Stephenie said moving towards the device.

“No,” Lenore croaked. “Leave it. I’ll teach the routine I choreographed for it.”

Stephenie nods and watches Lenore before mimicking the first few eight counts. As they progressed through the steps, she saw her teacher close her eyes and continue dancing.

Lenore was trying to block out reality and live in the moment when she had first listened to this song with Sidney. For a few brief minutes, she was back in his backyard on the chilly March night. She heard the glider creak and the laughter of his teammates from inside the house. There was no dance studio, no Stephenie, no relationship problems. It was just Lenore and Sidney, dancing.

The two only spoke of dance for the next half hour as Lenore broke down the routine to teach it to her student. That was all they were for 30 minutes, teacher and student, master and novice.

“You know he’s been staying with us again,” Stephenie said quietly as she packed up her things.

Lenore looked up from the position she had been sitting in on the table across the room. She had been scrolling through her BlackBerry.

“What?”

“Sidney,” she said lightly. “He’s been staying in the guest house for a little while.”

Lenore couldn’t bring herself to look at Stephenie. Instead, she chose the windows and watched the cars speed by.

“I think he’s scared,” Stephenie continued. “I think he’s hoping that if he stays away long enough, that it’ll all be a dream. That eventually, he’ll go back and find you there, just the same as always.” She took a few steps closer to her teacher. “And you know what? I think you’re a little scared too. I think you’re scared that it won’t be a dream.”

“That’s enough,” Lenore said quietly. “I think you’re ride is here. I’ll see you later, Steph.”

Stephenie nodded. “Right. I’ll see you, Lenore. Thanks again.”

After watching her student pull away, Lenore curled her knees up to her chest. Maybe if she stayed in her safe haven long enough, it all really would be a dream.

*****

“You’ve got to talk to her,” Jordan frowned.

“You act like I haven’t tried,” Sidney said not looking at his teammate. “Because trust me, I have.”

“Well then try again!” Max said pushing his captain’s shoulder. “Lenore’s not going to wait around forever.”

“That’s the thing,” he said finally looking up. “I think she would. She wants me to make the first move. She wants me to figure things out.”

“So do it!” Jordan threw his hands in the air. “You’re the captain. Fuck, you’re the dude.”

“What Jordan is trying to say,” Pascal said putting his hand on his young captain’s slumped shoulder. “Is that Lenore’s done a lot for you relationship. She put it back together in June. Now, it’s your turn to try.”

Sidney looked up gratefully at the older man. “Thanks, Duper. I’ve gotta run. I need to talk to some people
♠ ♠ ♠
Hmmm, any ideas as to who Sidney needs to talk to? I'm conflicted as to what should come next in the story. I have a few ideas and am having trouble picking what to use. So how about a little game? The first person I see in the comments section that gets the right answer to who Sidney is going to talk to will help me decide. I'm going to try and update tomorrow or Wednesday, so get your guesses in by then! Let me know what's on your minds, lovelies!

What Lenore Wore