Get it Right

Welcome to my life

I have a strict schedule I keep to in my life. I wake up at eight, I get all my stuff together and then glare at the motivation I have hanging in my room. I put up the worst news paper articles to keep my head in focus. The one with the title ‘Another National Title, Another Hazy decision?’ That one is my least favorite. I grab a quick Breakfast like toast, granola bar or occasionally a banana and then it’s out the door. I walk to the park near my house and then run the trail in the park till about 10:30. Then I walk over to the club. I consider this my cooI down lap. I walk in at roughly around 11 on most days, okay closer to 11:30 which is only an hour to an hour and a half after I’m supposed to be there to start my training. It was part of my ‘rebel’ thing I guess.

Okay so I kind of liked the reputation, the press that I could practically dive in my sleep. This came from the fact that during my training hours I would goof off. I’m a club diver, on the national team, and this is the year not to screw up because this is the year for the Olympics. I’ve already screwed my chances a bit by not competing at any international competition especially Worlds. But I am the best, I was gifted and this was the only thing in my life that ever came natural. I just figure I would be that secret weapon, the one no one’s seen.

I walked in and walked past the actual swimming pool where the swimmers would train. The diving towers were in the middle pool, we had two, one on both sides. That way more people could practice on the real thing. We also had girls on the trampoline working on their moves and people on the harness to practice and then some just strength training. Past our pool was the water polo pool, now I’m not really into the sport, but the guys who play it. I just have a little thing for them. Anyways back over to my pool, I walked over to Bri, Jenna and Lilly. We were the four who made it on the national team as far as diving went, which is why we train together. “Izzy,” Bri called out, “you are late, Cal is totally going to flip.”

“Cal should be used to my late appearances by now wouldn’t you agree,” I said as I tore my jacket and sweats off and began to stretch. 10:00 to 5:00 with a lunch Break, that’s like a full day of school, but this is training. We have absolutely no lives, well actually I’m speaking for myself, I have absolutely no life. Home schooled and I spend the rest of my life hopelessly devoted to this sport.

“Yeah,” Lilly mumbled, “used to it, doesn’t mean he likes it.” I shot a stern glare towards her, Lily and I didn’t get along well, probably because I ruined her Olympic chances. She was ranked twelfth on the national team out of twelve for individuals, not my fault, but she was at one point my partner for syncro diving. That is before the entire nation found out I’m only in this for myself. Let’s just say getting kicked off the national team doesn’t exactly help your partner. After that no one wanted to be my partner, not even Lilly who really had no other option. She undid her ponytail and let her pin straight black hair fall down as she rolled her green eyes at me. “I honestly don’t even know why you show up,” she said while putting it back up, “all you ever do is goof off anyways.”

“Lillian,” I said, “we can’t all be as dedicated as Bri, that no fun attitude doesn’t work for me.” I shrugged and looked at Bri who just crossed her arms and laughed. She threw her brown curly hair forward as she stretched out to her leg. Briana Welsh couldn’t disagree; she was so serious all the time. She could have every move down perfectly to a tee, but she got really nervous. Syncro 10m with Jenna, they do pretty well.

“Lilly’s just jealous that she won’t be going to the Olympics,” Jenna stuck her tongue out. Jenna was the crazier one of the group, the partier. In a crazy attempt to assure that the four of us all had different hair colors she died hers a bright red and I mean bright. “Or maybe it’s her spot light or the fact that despite Izzy’s rep people still like her more than you.” She smirked and wiggled her eyebrow.

“I am so not jealous,” Lilly said getting in Jenna’s face, “besides when Izzy get’s kicked off I’ll take her spot.” Thank you Lilly for your confidence in me.

“Don’t count on it,” I said getting onto the trampoline and taking a few warm up jumps before doing a flip or two. Then I started goofing off a bit.

“Look who decided to finally grace us with her presence,” Nate said with a bored and disgusted look on his face. I stopped jumping and crossed my arms, but of course I kept moving because the trampoline didn’t stop with me. “Cal wants us both in his office,” he said.

I jumped off and gave Bri a little look because I knew she had a crush on Nate. I never understood why, male divers always struck me as slightly gay. She averted her eyes from him probably feeling my stare and then she narrowed her eyes at me and I laughed following the meanie. “Well it can’t be bad if he wants you too,” I said skipping up to his side.

He shook his head irritated, “I will never understand how you do absolutely nothing and you get first and I work as hard as I can and only get second.” Jealousy, envy, admiration, one of those had to be the reason he was always so bitter towards me.

“That’s because there’s someone better than you,” I said nodding my head, “and there’s no one better than me.” He glared and I just grinned and shrugged. “Hey Cal, wasup,” I said as I opened his door. He pointed back to the reporter waiting in one of the chairs.

“My name is Jane Kelly,” she said extending her hand as Cal left the room. Cal was our coach and he really hated interviews getting in the way of training. They were inevitable though.
I put out my hand for the handshake and started, “Izzy Haze.”

“Nate Gardner,” he said copying my motion.

“We are doing an article about stars in the area,” she said.

I raised my eyebrow, “stars in the area, why would you want to talk to him, he only got second?” He elbowed me in the side and I gave a puppy dog face, “aww baby you know I was just kidding, you’re first in my heart.” He just gave me a confused look and we both looked back at Miss Kelly for the interview.

“Are you two a …” she started.

My yes and Nate’s no were simultaneous. I was just having a bit of fun, I had far too much respect for girl code to ever think about it. I looked at Nate shocked and he looked at me with the same lost expression, “don’t be shy, honey.”

“I’m not,” he said.

I leaned closer to the reporter and grabbed onto Nate’s arm, “he’s just a little shy because technically we aren’t supposed to date, club rules.” Really there is a no dating rule, that everyone breaks, but it’s one more way for them to assure we have no life. “We all know, I’m not afraid to break a rule or two,” I smiled at the woman and took a look at Nate, “I think it’s time we just let the world know.” He was shaking his head and I turned back to the reporter, “isn’t he cute.”

“You mentioned breaking rules,” she said and I took a deep breath knowing exactly where this interview was going.

I was happy to get out of there, and I hopped down the stairs with glee to get back to avoiding my training. “Wasn’t that fun,” I said looking up at Nate.

“No,” he said, “they’re going to publish a story about us being a couple.”

I nodded, “scandalous right.” He shook his head irritated and I just laughed. “No one here is going to believe it,” I said, “could you imagine goody good Gardner breaking a rule and for rebel Izzy Haze, it just couldn’t be.” My gestures were exaggerated through that entire speech, not to mention the corny announcer voice I was using. He rolled his eyes and I shrugged walking over to the diving tower where the rest of my training buddies were.

“Can you believe that cocky jerk,” Bri said as she waited for her turn to go up and take a dive. I looked over to where she was looking and I saw the same woman along with about three more reporters and a few camera men flocked around Aiden Matthews.

I hmphed at the sight and then turned to Bri, “yeah ever since he got here he’s been taking my spotlight.” Bri gave me a look and I gestured a defensive what and then continued, “Think about it.” I looked over at the sight, “they’re probably asking him how it feels to have such and such gold medals and why he started and how many he expects to win this year. You know what they ask me, what are you going to get arrested for this year.”

“Here’s an idea,” Bri said sarcastically, “stop getting arrested.”

I narrowed my eyes at her, “I’m working on it.” She just laughed and turned her head to get ready to climb and I decided to mention, “by the way, if there’s an article about Nate and I having a relationship, I was just playing around, it’s not true.”

“Why would I care,” she said looking down from about a foot up the ladder.

“Cuz ya love him,” I said shrugging.

She blushed and then started climbing more and yelled down, “I do not.” I shook my head; they were so perfect for each other, both workaholic goody goods that were crazy about each other.

I was just staring envious at the swimmer before Cal woke me up, “Izzy climb up there, it’s your turn.” I put a thumb up and started climbing up to the giant diving board. When I got up there I decided I’d take a good look at the water polo guys. There was nothing quite like them and by them I mean Zack Tyler, the God of water polo. Why didn’t reporters pay that much attention to him, I wouldn’t mind reading that article. “What are you doing up there,” Cal yelled up at me.

“Admiring the view,” I shouted down and then turned around. Took a running start and jumped off doing only like two turns on my way down and then getting into cannon ball form before hitting the water to cause a huge splash.

“What the hell was that,” Cal said as I popped my head out. I knew that there was absolutely nothing right about that, but I wasn’t really trying. Scratch that, I was definitely trying to make a huge splash, irritate a few people and grab as much attention as I could.

“The best unrecorded cannon ball in history,” I said shaking my head as if I were disappointed.

“Is there anyone who can get through to you how important this is,” Cal said looking at me as I exited the water. I shook my head no and he just made his usual face and walked back up to his office. I knew how important it was; I just pretended not to care. I went back to what I call training until around three when I decided to go pack up. I always left at around three, and I had my reasons. I babysit this kid a few blocks away from here, everyday; it helps me pay for my training here. I’m not some rich kid who gets everything I want. But once again I just let it seem like I’m leaving early because I care less, my rep.

I walked into the locker room and put on my club pants and a tank top and then started heading out. “Bowing out early Haze,” an annoying voice said and I turned around to face the swimmer. I hate swimmers, they think they’re all that. I can swim back and forth. He lifted his goggles up onto his hair which oddly did not have a cap on. He smirked and said, “Is this, what it’s like being the most distinguished failure of this century.”

I leaned down and smirked at him, “no Matthews, this is what it’s like.” I leaned in closer as if I were going in for a kiss and then I took his goggles off his head and smacked him. I stood up and chucked the stupid goggles across the club to God knows where. “I think it’d be in your best interest if you avoided pissing me off.”