Get it Right

First Day Back

“So I didn’t see either of you last night,” Bri said as we stretched in our home for the next few weeks. She raised her eyebrows suggestively, “did anything happen.”

I rolled my eyes, “no, you and Nate are just so sickeningly adorable that I want to puck every time I’m around you.” I looked from Bri to Jenna and then shrugged, “but this one on the other hand was out all night.”

“I love soccer players,” she smiled and then looked at me, “what about you and Matthews?”

I shrugged, “we talked for like five seconds then that beach volleyball player came over, informed him I was a whore and then I saluted her and told her I was off to find someone to blow.” I bobbed my head from one side to the other, “it was interesting, and then Zack Tyler told me he liked me.”

“What,” they both looked at me and I shrugged. Bri being herself came out and said it, “you’ve had a crush on him for how long and you act so nonchalant.” I just shrugged once more and she leaned forward, “what did you say.”

"I like the part where you saluted the bitch," Jenna laughed, "that shit was funny."

I smiled at Jenna and then turned to Bri, and scratched my head, “something deep with in me compelled me to say I don’t believe you.”

“Oh Izzy,” Jenna was upset, “why, two years crushing on him and when he reciprocates you say I don’t believe you.” I just walked over to the board and started climbing up. “Oh now Izzy trains,” she yells out, “I guess the trick to find something she wants to avoid even more.”

I just smiled as I climbed up the latter. I did my new move trying out my new combo for the first time in front of people. In front of people who weren't Aiden or the national committee. I poked my head out of the water and Bri looked at me, “what the fuck was that.”

“I’m not sure what I wanna call it yet,” I shrugged, “but what do you think.”

“Great just work on your entrance,” Jenna came over, “by the way no one in their right mind is going to let you do that.”

I looked at her with my eyebrow raised, “I’m Izzy Haze, since when do I wait around for people to let me do something?” They both gave me a look that said are you freaking insane. “Everyone is rooting for me to fail,” I looked at them, “no one is going to stop me from doing a high risk dive at trials, possibly ruining my chances, they’ll probably encourage it.”

“I think you’re overestimating everyone’s dislike of you,” Jenna looked at me, “you’re still the best diver we have and China’s won gold for the last how many years?” She took a moment for thought and then continued, “Izzy you are a gift to the sport and a secret weapon, they want you there.”

I looked at her unsure before shaking my head, “no I think they hate me, everyone always bets on Larcy Luna.”

“I hate her,” she scowled, “America’s sweetheart my ass, she’s a bitch and not to mention a total slut.”

“Pot calling the kettle,” Larcy walked by with her face scrunched up as if he were better, "I mean let's face it the only one of you three who deserves to be here is Brianna, and barley so."

"Say's my three national wins over you," I glared at the bitch.

She shrugged, "you're a convict, I don't see how anything you say is at all relevant."

We watched her walk over to another group and then Jenna shook her head and mocked her, "pot calling the kettle." Then she put he finger up defensively, “Difference is I’m not America’s sweetheart; I don’t act sweet and innocent,” she shrugged, “so it’s okay for me to act like a slut.” I looked at her with my eyebrow raised and then shook my head before stretching. “Think about it,” she looked at me, “I admit I’m a slut, I’m not running around being fake.”

“Yeah,” I nodded, “but you should thank god that no one knows you’re a slut, because being a proclaimed one sucks. Seriously every guy I walk by thinks I’m going jump into bed with him.” I sighed, “it is exhausting coming up with either insulting comebacks or clever jokes to defensively maneuver out of the situation.”

“As if the attention isn’t exhilarating,” Jenna looked at me.

I shook my head, “not really.”

“What about the attentions from Aiden Matthews,” she raised her eyebrow, “admit that you love that.”

“Yes because I'm just begging to jump into bed with Matthews," I laughed and then put on a serious face, "please guys, I have standards."

"Ladies please line up," it was the booming voice of our new coach. He was extremely buffed out and I easily recognized him as a former Russian champion. He was worthy of our attention and our praise, neither of which my reputation would lead him to believe me capable of. But I paid careful attention as he gave us a big speech and ended by telling us that our first practice wouldn't be till tomorrow.

"Great," I muttered under my breath to Jenna, "I didn't even have to be here today." She elbowed me and I fell back into line before he dismissed us.

I began walking away until his rash voice called me back, "Haze." I rolled my eyes and rejoined him. "I hear you have a problem with authority, I don't know what you've gotten away with before but you will see yourself out of my camp if you so as step out of line." He looked at me intensely, "do you understand me?"

"Yes sir," I saluted him in a somewhat mocking manner.

He glared, "I'll be watching you."

I threw my arm up as I walked away to represent that I heard him and then said, "that's creepy."

"What was that about," Bri asked.

I smiled, "just the official Izzy Haze welcome." I shrugged as they beckoned for more, "the usual, I'm not putting up with your shit conversation that everyone gives me before they find they have an odd affection for me."

"Like Matthews," Jenna smirked and I rose my eyebrow. She pointed at the door, "please explain why her's just waiting for you."

I shrugged, “we might hang, he’s going to show me around the stupid training center, play some pranks on your beloved soccer players.” She widened her jaw in a shocked expression and I smiled, “let it be know you don’t piss off Izzy Haze and just get away with it.” I grabbed my bag and started walking out.