Get it Right

Again?

I dropped my gym bags next to the girls the next day and said, “I think I have a new stalker.” I looked over towards the pool and then back and said, “you guys will honestly never guess who tried to follow me home yesterday.”

“That weird homeless guy two blocks away who asks you out every time we walk by,” Jenna said popping her head up and I made a face and shook my head, “well it’s not any of the old stalkers right.”

“No,” I shook my head, “it was Matthews.”

Bri and Jenna were smiling but Lilly chimed in, “when you say Matthews do you mean the swimmer, or the assistant water polo coach.”

“Ooh,” Bri said, “good question.”

“Who cares,” Jenna said, “I’d do them both.”

We all looked over at her unsure. “Of course you would slut,” I said and then shook my head, “there’s like a rule you know, don’t sleep with people who stalk you.”

“And I will respect your rules,” Jenna said, “but it doesn’t mean I have to abide by them.” Everyone was giving her a weird look and then she just stuck her tongue out, “get over it.” We all shrugged and she continued, “oh and it’s the swimmer, Lilly.”

“How do you know,” Lilly and I said at the same time.

“It’s so obvious,” Jenna said as if she knew and then when we all looked at her to continue she scowled and said, “fine, I saw him follow her out.”

“Creepy right,” I said now facing everyone, “why couldn’t it be like Zach or someone remotely tolerable.”

“But you like Zach and you just said you don’t sleep with stalkers,” Jenna crossed her arm giving me a stern look.

“Fine,” I shook my head, “he is the exception.” I crossed my arms, “I think he was just trying to catch me doing something stupid, it’s like he’s determined to prove all the rumors about me.”

They all shrugged and then Jenna looked up, “where is it you go after practice anyways.” I laughed, shook my head and then glared because as many times as that question has been asked they know the answer is always no. “Fine, don’t tell me,” she put her hands up defensively, “but I totally wouldn’t mind if he was stalking me.”

I followed her eyes to the swimming pool and then I just shook my head, “you are sick, what happened in your childhood to mess you up so much.”

“Yes because she’s the troubled one,” Lilly said laughing and I just glared at her. I walked over to the diving board and climbed up it just to jump back in. I have chosen a career where I fall for a living. “Yay,” Lilly said, “Izzy did her one dive, now she’s done for the day.” I stuck my tongue out, that bitch. And you know what, that day I actually practiced the entire time. Well, until two thirty when I showered off and walked over to Anna’s house.

That evening when her parents came home I made my usual walk back to the club. I went into Cal’s office and turned on my music like I usually do. I set up the training cam, with the tape I stole last week. It was my normal night routine and then as I climbed up to the top of the 10m board it was completely ruined. “Hey,” someone yelled from down the floor, “who’s up there.” I ducked and tried to lay straight on the diving board so that maybe they would ignore it. No such luck though, I felt someone climbing up the diving tower. I got up and jumped in as quickly as I could, the jig is up, I probably can’t do this anymore. I looked up and saw no one, I thought it’d be safe and I popped my head up and the voice was surprised, “Izzy?” I looked to my side and there he was, “is that you Haze.”

“Seriously,” I got out and grabbed a towel, “did you follow me again.”

“No,” he said and I raised my eyebrow, “I fell asleep in the locker room and your obnoxious music woke me up.” He looked at me strangely, “what are you doing here.”

“I broke in here to rob the place, Matthews,” I said sarcastically and he looked at me blankly, “I’m practicing.”

“Practicing,” he said as if it were completely impossible.

I sighed, “Even someone as naturally gifted as me needs practice.” I walked over and started packing all my stuff into my bag.

“So let me get this straight,” he said mockingly, “Izzy Haze spends extra hours practicing, she doesn’t party and she has a job. What else don’t I know about you?”

“Everything,” I said unamused and then crossed my arms, “so what now, are you going to tell everyone, get me kicked out of this place.” He shook his head and I was put off, “why not, I would,” I got mad, “I’d want to get the stench of failure out of here.”

“I wanna help you,” he said shocking the hell out of me.

“Help me,” I laughed, “besides the fact that you know absolutely nothing about diving, you also live to bring me down, how could you possibly help me.” He opened his mouth, “and if you say anything like will of a champion I will be kicked off the team a third time for committing murder.”

“There’s something fun about being the underdog and proving everyone wrong,” he said, “also I know that you’re history could affect judges, their only human, so I think you need something amazing.”

I looked at him unsure and then shook my head, “if you’re talking about a new move, I’m way ahead of you.” He looked at me unsure and I sighed though I couldn’t believe it, “fine you can help, just don’t slow me down.” And now you can put in the montage of days working together and perfecting the move that will of course be named after me.