Get it Right

Competition

I was there, finally, in Sweden for my first national competition and the last one before the Olympics. My hair was tied up in a pony tail as I followed all the girls who were primped by prep teams they could afford because they had sponsors. Oh how set my life would be with a sponsor, I don’t know why I don’t already, I could sell some legit leather jackets since I’m America’s bad girl, the troubled athlete. I mean there has got to be something that the bad girl would be a perfect example, but there wasn’t. But National Champ didn’t count for anything when you don’t perform elsewhere.

The last few days were spent convincing our coaches that I was capable of performing a move of high prestige with great pristine. And before that I was failing at convincing them to let me attempt the new move I had invented. They didn’t even want to see it. They put me in because they know my capability, but they have their money on Larcy, Larcy Luna, she was my enemy and complete opposite. To the world she was like America’s sweetheart of sports, but in reality she’s a bitch. Her consistency speaks for itself and everyone is only afraid that human nature will cause the judges to score me lower.

“I think this is the first time I’m going to see you dive,” Larcy says as she takes off her outerwear to stretch.

I raise my eyebrow, “because you close your eyes and hold your breath every time I beat you in Nationals.”

She tilted her head from side to side cracking her neck, “it’s a different game out here, your good in your small pond, but I don’t think you could handle the pressure, the stiff competition.”

I shrug, “considering all we’ve ever done is come in third and occasionally second for the past two something years,” I pretended to think about it, “I’d say I couldn’t do any worse than you.” She glared at me and walked back over to Trish, who was from her club.

Jenna walked over and laughed, “I love how she’s trying to psych Izzy ‘I don’t give a fuck’ Haze out.” She looked over at her shoulder and then back at me, “it’s pathetic.” I nodded and we all continued to stretch. Jenna was only there for the synchro competition, but Bri was there for both. As for Lilly, she wasn’t there at all, I’m not even positive how she made the national team, it must have been a real good day for her. “So,” she turned to me before the competitions were about to start, “you nervous.” I nodded and she looked at me surprised, “I never thought I’d see the day when you were nervous.”

I shrugged, “well you know I put on some makeup and I’m nervous it’s not waterproof, could you imagine how stupid I’d look.” She shook her head and just laughed at me before giving me a nice pat on the back.

My first event was the 7 meter. I couldn’t hear it then, but upon watching it on television I heard how all the commentators talked about my shady reputation and how I couldn’t possibly do anything spectacular. I smirked before setting up for my dive, knowing that something of that sort was to be said. Then I effortlessly did it, my first dive, scoring a 28.17 overall combined score that put me as the front runner and never moved. Similar scores in the other two events, I was unbeatable, I’ve always been and I’ve never been too nervous. That was the start of everything.
When I got back to the club the next week there were camera’s and stuff set up in one of the corners, I dropped my bag and looked at Jenna, “let me guess more cameras for the swimming sensation as the Olympics start to creep around the corner.” I rolled my eyes at Matthews and the reporter laughing their phony laughs.

She nodded, “but they want to talk to you too, but you weren’t here so he went first.”

I rolled my eyes, “great, because interviews always go so well for me.”

“Just relax,” she said trying to be reassuring, “this time try not to yell or piss off the reporter, it might help.” I nodded at her good ideas and then she continued, “and try to smile, your trademark scowl isn’t very appealing.” I crossed my arms and scowled and then she pointed and nodded, “exactly, don’t do that.”

I walked into the room passing Matthews who gave a reassuring smile before I went in. The lights were brighter, I’ve been written up several times, but never on television. What was she going to ask me, I wasn’t even sure if I wanted to know? “Isabella Haze,” the woman put her hand out for a hand shake, “I believe this interview has been long overdue.”

I nodded, “I’ve been trashed and made a fool of in virtually every other form of media, it only seems appropriate that we extend it to television.” I grinned at her displeased look, it didn’t take long for her to wipe it off and gesture for us to sit.

I sat down in the chair and the reporter did so as well. She looked at me unsure knowing that I would be a hostile person at best. She flipped through the papers in front of her nervously and when she looked up I knew she was going to ask. “So you did fantastic at the Swedish invitational,” she looked at me waiting for a response which was just a confirming nod, “your performance seemed to come out of nowhere.”

I let out a brief laugh, “nowhere, obviously you hadn’t seen my performance at the last three National competitions.”

“You seem pretty confident,” she said, “are you nervous at all for the Olympics, stiffer competition and more eyes on you.”

I crossed my arms, “you don’t have to be nervous when you’re good.” She went to say something and I cut her off, “and don’t even talk to me about how unbeatable Russia or any of the Asian countries are.” I smirked and leaned back, “that little competition was just the beginning and let me tell you,” I paused, “you ain’t seen nothing yet.”

“Spirit of a champion,” she brightened up, “no doubt training in the same club as the great Aiden Matthews has fueled your spirit.”

I raised my eyebrow, “it’s fueled my frustration, that’s for sure.” She looked at me intrigued and I continued, “Since the moment him and his ego stepped into this place they’ve done nothing, but steal my spotlight.” She looked at me surprised and I responded with an unsure, “what?”

“There have been rumors that the two of you sparked a romance,” she said. Then she thought for a second, “or is it something you’ve kept from your boyfriend?”

“Boyfriend,” I said shocked and then laughed, “oh my god that thing with Nate was a joke, that goody two shoes would never in a million years date me, and while on the subject I would never in a million years date Matthews. I can barely stand being in the same room as him.”

“Well,” she took it in, “he had some pretty pleasant things to say about you.” He did, shoot, I never thought in public we’d keep up our friendship, our feud and hatred was so much more fun.

“It’s a publicity stunt,” I said, “he says a few good things about me and I say a few about him and we both look good to the press. Problem is, I don’t mind looking bad and I’m not going to sell out just for a few good opinions.”

“Quite a pistol,” she laughed fakely and continued, “say what they might about you, but I find your brute honesty refreshing in someone so young.” I looked at her and I suppose they had been nipped and tucked a few times. At first glance and in the blinding light she didn’t look old at all, but on closer inspection she was at least forty. I nodded my head at her and she smiled, “well thank you Izzy.” She stood up and I followed bidding her farewell with a sturdy handshake.