Thinking of You

"Went Outside and Saw the Moon"

"It's a beautiful night tonight." Letting out a sigh for a moment I wasn't sure if I actually said that out loud or not, but by the gentle squeeze on my shoulder I knew that John had heard what I had said.

John readjusted the blanket that was set over our laps while humming an agreement, "Yeah, it's been a while since the sky has been this clear. Seems like all the stars are out tonight."

I gazed up at the cloudless sky as I felt him take another sip of his beer. The many nocturnal bugs accompanied John's iPod playing from the small set of speakers on our front porch. It was these little things that truly made me happy, these little things like sitting out on the front porch at one in the morning, snuggled up to someone’s side, listening to the bugs and watching the stars dance.

"You really like the stars don't you?" John asked quietly, making me jump almost. While looking up at the cloudless night sky I seemed to have forgotten he was there.

Looking up at him I smiled, "Yeah, I guess I always have. I've always been fascinated by them, and the moon."

"The moon?" He repeated before taking another sip of his beer, "You know what's weird? So many people have looked at the same exact moon that we are right this very minute, whether they were looking at it thousands of years ago or from just a few miles away, it’s the same moon. Now I personally, I think that's pretty fucking cool. Knowing that someone is looking at the same moon you are, it's like an unknown connection between the people who are starring at it."

Smiling I looked back at John knowing what we were getting into. Every so often we would just sit around and listen to music while he drinks his alcohol and I get as comfortable as I can. Then something random would pop into our heads and we would talk deeply about it for hours, we would say the most mind-blowing things, the things that keep you up at night wondering, scared. The things you fear so much you don't even talk about them, not even with your closest friend. But we would sit there and hypothesize together, freak our own selves out without even caring, and that's what I love most about John. He made me feel like I could say anything.

Chuckling I shook my head, "This is going to sound stupid but, you know in the movie 'Joe Dirt', and how he talks about the moon and how he wonders if his parents ever look at the same moon, wondering if they ever think about him? That's what you just reminded me of."

John just smiled, "You are the biggest liar I know."

Astonished I shook my head, "No, that's really what happened in the movie I promise-"

"Not about that," he cut me off chuckling lightly to himself before muttering, "You get so worked up sometimes. No, I was talking about how you always say that something is going to sound stupid but it never does. It usually turns out to something meaningful and intelligent."

"Oh..." I replied quietly, feeling embarrassed. Honestly, compared to him I did feel stupid. Sure, he gave me the confidence to say whatever was on our minds, but whatever I said felt inferior to him. He was John O'Callaghan; lead singer of The Maine, amazing poet, philosopher at times, inspiration to people all over the world. He was far more intelligent to any guy I knew, how was one supposed to compete with that?

"Plus, I think it's kind of cute how you think you are stupider than me, because we both know that isn't true."

Slightly rolling my eyes I looked back up at him, "John you shush your mouth."

"No Val, it's true," he insisted, looking out over the empty plains in front of us. "You are one of the most intelligent people I have met in a long time, just ask anyone. I don't think I've ever met another girl who thinks as deeply as you do or who knows how everyone is feeling just by the look on their face. You're clever and I really admire that."

Blushing I looked at the ground, "I could say the same about you too."

I heard him set down his beer on the railing next to him before his hand cupped the side of my face, bringing my eyes to look at his own. John didn't even say anything as he slowly pressed his lips to my own gently. Closing my eyes I kissed back for a moment before he pulled away, just when I wanted more.

Suddenly John's eyes got big as he inhaled a short breath. Standing up he took my hands, dragging me with him, "This is one of my favorite songs and we are going to dance to it."

My ear tuned in on the song playing, realizing it was 'Free Falling' by Tom Petty. All confusion and shock went away after realizing that one of John's favorite artists of all time started playing.

Without hesitation he pulled me close to him, took my small hand in his ginormous one while the other was resting on the small of my back, and started to move his feet. As I hooked my arm around his neck, John started to softly sing along with the song.

As it finished, he rested his forehead on mine, humming the final notes. I closed my eyes, feeling the heat from his skin fall on me, savoring his scent that I loved so much, taking in as much of him as I could for a moment.

"Marry me." His voice was just above a whisper but it started so much intensity inside me.
Pulling back I looked at him. "What?"

John smiled wider before wrapping his arms around my waist and pulling me closer to him. "I said, 'Marry me'."
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey there! Part one of three!

Funny story about this story, I started writing this as just a short story I had in my head then one day as I was looking at the lyrics for Thinking of You I realized how much they related to each other! It was like my subconscious was thinking of the song while I initially wasn't. So I wrote the rest of the story with the song in mind and here you go!

next two chapters will be up today!

THANKS FOR READING!