Status: work in progress(:

Concrete Angel

More and more lies

"Sit down." Ms. Smith says as we walk into her office.

"Is this place secure?" I whisper as she shuts the door.

"It's the only place that is."

"He's out." I say quietly.

"I know. We didn't expect for this to happen. The police are doing everything they can to find him. The agent in charge of you is on his way here." She says pacing behind her desk.

"I thought they weren't allowed to contact me." I mumble.

"Things have changed. We put you close by because he'd never expect it."

"What am I going to tell the boys?" I ask trying my best not to cry.

"Nothing. Stick to your story." Ms. Smith says finally taking her seat.

"I'm not leaving?" I ask looking up at her hopefully.

"No, you're not leaving." A voice says from the door. We both jump and turn to see Agent Howard in the doorway.

"Hello, June." he says smiling at me grimly.

"Elizabeth." I correct quickly.

"Oh yes, I'm sorry. I still see you as that beautiful little girl i found 6 years ago." He says sitting next to me. I shudder at the thought but refuse to show the fear that was in me.

"What's the game plan?" I ask looking at him.

"Always the tough girl." Howard says giving me a small smile.

"Not always, I kind of freaked out on my roommate and his friends." I say quietly not looking at him. I didn't want to admit that I had friends. I couldn't let him know I was attached.

"We'll tell them you saw the story and flipped because it happened close to where you used to live. You moved the year it happened because your father is overprotective. And you knew he would rush up here the minute he heard, you didn't want him to yank you out of school." Howard says quickly. It's amazing how he can just make things up.

"And then he just left?"

"No, I'll stay around for a few days."

"You're going to be my dad?"

"I can handle it."

"Shall we then?" Ms. Smith asks and I nod and get up to lead the way.

I hear them whispering. I know they are talking about me. I don't want to hear. Once we got in the elevator they got real quiet. I looked at Howard. He had worry lines, I'm probably going to get those soon. He's been in my life since I was born. He was my real dad's best friend growing up. He got assigned to my case and we've been dealing with each other ever since.

"IZZY!" Joey's voice screams as I enter the room. His arms are quickly around me and much to my surprise I relax. Howard coughs from behind me. I untangle myself from him and try not to blush.

"Who's this?" Jake says looking at me.

"Rude much." Scotty mumbles but looks at me expectantly.

"This is my dad." I say quietly.

"Mr. Rivers, nice to meet you." Chris says walking towards Howard shaking his hand. All the boys follow suit and nod at him.

"So who is who dear?" Howard asks me putting a hand on my shoulder.

"This is my roommate Joey." I say pointing at him.

"Joey. Got it."

"That's Jake, Scotty, Chris, and Ron." I say pointing each of them out.

"Nice to meet you all." Howard says and Ms. Smith coughs lightly from the doorway.

"Is there anything else you need from me?" She asks my "dad."

"Nope, I'll just be spending some time with my daughter for a few days if you don't mind." Howard says.

"Of course." Ms. Smith says smiling grimly before leaving.

"Where will you be staying sir?" Joey asks nicely.

"There's a hotel down the road. I should actually go check in now. I'll be back to have dinner with you Elizabeth." Howard says looking down at me.

"Okay, I'll see you then." I say giving him an one armed hug and letting him go.

"Why's he here?" Joey ask as soon as the door is shut.

"My dad is....overprotective." I mumble hating myself more and more as the lies come out of my mouth.

"What do you mean?" Scotty asks.

"That story, of the girl, it happened in my neighborhood. He made us move as soon as it happened. He freaked out. So when I saw the story, I knew he'd rush up here and I was scared he was going to yank me out of school." I say quickly trying to keep my facts straight.

"Ya'll moved just because of that one girl?" Jake says.

"Yeah, he's really protective. He's gotten better though." I say shrugging slightly.

"So are you leaving?" Joey says quietly.

"What? No?!" I say looking at him alarmed.

"You said he was going to yank you out of school." Joey says a bit louder.

"No, I was scared of that. I talked him out of it. But we have a few days with him." I say avoiding his eyes.

"Oh, okay good." Joey mumbles before heading to his bed to lay down. Scotty and Ron and Jake were all laying in mine so I walked over to Joey's and just made a place for me to sit.

"So, dinner with your dad tonight?" Chris says from his seat on the floor.

"Yeah, will you come? All of you?" I ask quietly looking at Joey first.

"Of course we will." Joey says patting my hand.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks for the one comment I got! Keep 'em coming guys. I like to know what you're thinking about what's happening.