Status: work in progress(:

Concrete Angel

Dinnertime

"Joey, where's my red skirt that I bought the other day?" I holler from my room.

"How am I supposed to know?" Joey yells back from the bathroom.

"I kind of need it." I mumble more to myself than to him.

"What skirt are you talking about?" Joey asks walking out of the bathroom in a towel. Really...this is got to stop making me blush.

"The red one." I say avoiding looking at him.

"Which red one?"

"I don't have more than one!"

"You don't have to snap at me."

"Sorry, but he's going to be here any minute and I'm not ready and neither are you!"

"I just need to get dressed, but you need to leave for me to do that."

"I need my skirt." I say throwing my arms up.

"It's right there!" Joey says pointing to his bed where I had laid it earlier.

"Oh, my bad." I say grabbing it and running to the bathroom to get dressed. I was a bit flustered. I was really nervous about this dinner. I wanted the guys to go because they made me relax but the more I think about it the more they probably shouldn't go. I guess it's too late now though.

"Izzy, your dad is here!" Joey yells knocking on the bathroom door.

"Coming! Get the others will you?" I say applying the last bit of makeup to my face.

"They are here too." Joey says. I quickly finish up and rush out to the hall where the boys were waiting.

"Hello sweetheart, you look nice." Howard says giving me a one armed hug. I smile and get myself in the mindset of a play. It's time to play my part.

"Thanks, so I'm thinking that we should go into town and eat. There's a Chinese place that I've been dying to try out." I say smiling up at all of them.

"Are you talking about that new place?" Jake says eagerly.

"Oh yeah, China Buffet or something." Scotty says nodding.

"Well, let's go." Howard says and he leads the way to his car. Luckily for us, he rented a van to look more dad like and we all piled in.

After what seemed like the longest ride ever, we arrived at the China Buffet. Howard lead the way and got us a table by showing his badge when the guys weren't looking. I took a seat across from Howard with Joey and Scotty on each side of me. Chris and Ron were beside my "dad" and Jake was at the head of the table.

"So you are the boys my daughter has chosen to hang out with." Howard says all dad-like.

"Well, I am her roommate. I didn't give her much choice." Joey says chuckling.

"They saved me from getting trampled by guys my first day." I say nudging Joey's arm.

"Well then I guess I should be thanking you."

"No problem. It's what we do for friends." Jake says smiling at me.

"So why didn't your mom come too Izzy?" Joey asks looking at me.

"She...passed away. When I was little." I say looking down at my plate.

"Yes, just me and Elizabeth now." Howard says patting my hand.

"And your son, right?" Scotty says cocking his head to the side.

"Well yes...my son." Howard says slowly looking at me.

"Leo is in college." I say quickly covering my tracks. I knew I was going to hear about that slip-up later.

"Wow, that name is really close to the name of that freak who attacked that little girl." Jake says carelessly as he pops some chicken in his mouth.

"Jake!" Chris says popping him on the head.

"Sorry sir, sometimes Jake just doesn't think." Ron says to a very tense Howard.

"It's fine. I'm guessing my little girl told you how overprotective I am?" Howard says smiling at us all.

"Yes sir, she did." Scotty says.

"And with all due respect, I think you should keep her in school. We wouldn't let anything happen to her." Joey says looking at Howard.

"I'm not taking her out. I believe she is safe here." Howard says slowly.

"Well on that note, is everyone done?" I say smiling around the table to see empty plates. I was ready to get this over with.

"Let's head out. I need to get some work done tonight so I can be with you tomorrow." Howard says standing up.

We all head out and experience another awkward car ride. This night just needs to get over with. We finally make it back to the school.

"Boys, ya'll head on up. I would like to say goodnight to my daughter alone. Nice having dinner with you all." Howards says as we all pile out.

"I'll wait inside the lobby for you Izzy. Nice meeting you sir." Joey says leading the boys to the building.

"You need to be more careful." Howard says watching them leave.

"I am."

"Telling them you have a brother? Getting attached?"

"I didn't mean to tell them about him."

"But you did. That's what happens when you get too attached."

"I'm not."

"Yes you are. You and that roommate of yours are dating, even if you won't admit it to me."

"I swear we're not." I say my mouthing dropping at the accusation.

"You will be soon enough if you don't back off some. You could have to leave at a moments notice."

"I KNOW! Okay! I KNOW!" I yell throwing my arms up.

"Elizabeth, I'm just trying to keep you safe. I promised your parents I would."

"I know. It's just hard. I want this to be over with."

"It won't be. Until they catch him."

"It won't be over then either."

"It might be. They are talking about the death sentence."

"That means...."

"That you'll definitely be going home soon."

"I have a curfew. Goodnight." I say turning on my heel before I got anymore unwanted news.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments?