Status: work in progress(:

Concrete Angel

I have an idea

"Ms. Rivers, it's nice to have another girl." Mrs. Hutto says grinning down at me.

"Thank you." I say smiling at her brightly.

"Okay, everyone take out your homework." Mrs. Hutto says walking around the classroom to take it from people as they tear things out of their notebooks.

"Zack?" Mrs. Hutto says holding her hand out.

"I don't have it." Zack mumbles and I swear he looks ashamed. That's crazy, he's the bad boy. The one who doesn't give a crap. He can't be ashamed.

"Zack." Mrs. Hutto says disapprovingly before walking to the next guy.

I study Zack for a few more minutes. He pulls out a book and opens it up. He takes a piece of paper and starts doing work. I am stunned. I forgot that he disgusted me. I looked at him with a new view on things. He was cute, in that little brother way. He looked confused and I felt his pain. Chemistry was horrible. He wrote some stuff down; only to cross it out. I find myself not able to tear my eyes from him as he looked up at the board. This was a new Zack. I feel eyes on me so I finally take my eyes off of Zack and see Joey looking at me.

"What?" I whisper nudging his arm.

"Nothing." Joey says pulling out his book and opening to a certain page. I stare at him before glancing at Zack again. He was still working.

"Elizabeth, you'll have to share a book with Joey for now. We will order a new one for you." Mrs. Hutto says and I nod pulling out a notebook to take notes as she starts to teach. Joey pushed his book in the middle of the table so I could see it without a word.

The bell rings and Joey jumps out of his seat leaving his book behind. I slowly stand up completely confused. I don't know what I did wrong. I suddenly feel like crying. I close his book and put it in my book bag. I sigh quietly and go to leave the room. I was half way down the hall when I realize I left my jacket in the class. I turn back around and make my way to the class. I let myself in and go to my desk. Mrs. Hutto was talking to Zack and neither of them saw me.

"I don't have detention?" Zack asks slowly handing her a piece of paper.

"No, I believe my husband already gave you that today." Mrs. Hutto says smiling at him.

"I really meant to do my homework. I just got distracted." Zack says slowly and I trip over the desk trying to get to my chair.

"Mrs. Rivers, I didn't see you." Mrs. Hutto says and I blush as Zack turns around quickly to see me standing there holding my jacket.

"I forgot my jacket." I say lifting it slightly.

"I have to go." Zack mumbles and he heads for the door.

"Zack, I expect better next time." Mrs. Hutto says and he nods meeting her eyes. There was a big difference in him when she was around.

"I'm sorry, I just needed this." I say heading for the door.

"It's fine. It really is nice to have you here." Mrs. Hutto says waving at me as I leave.

I was so confused. Zack obviously cared about what Mrs. Hutto thought. I saw his face when she said she wanted better from him. It was almost like he was disappointed that he was doing bad. Which is so not the vibe that I got from him to begin with. I really wanted to go find Joey. I didn't understand what was happening with him or this new Zack that I saw and I just wanted some answers.

"Elizabeth!" some guy yells as I walk in the cafeteria. I scanned the room for my friends and saw Joey sitting at our normal table. The rest of the guys must of been in line.

"IZZY!" the same guy yells coming up from behind me and I spin around.

"What did you just call me?" I snap at this poor guy. I was angry and confused. Joey saw me and he saw the guy. I met his eyes. He looked away. He looked mad. I don't know what I did.

"Izzy? Isn't that your nickname?" The guy says looking scared.

"No, it's not. There's one guy who can get away with that and it's not you." I growl and I suddenly feel the cafeteria get quieter.

"I just wanted to take you out." The guy says and ten guys jump up all at once.

"I want to ask her out."

"Give me a chance."

"Please, pick me." The guys yell and plead and finally I just scream for everyone to shut up.

"I have an idea." I say walking away and refusing to give them anymore information.

"Idea?" was whispered all around the cafeteria and I roll my eyes and sit down in front of Joey.

"What's your idea?" Jake says sitting down next to me.

"Speed-dating, this Saturday. That way everyone gets a chance and I can be left alone." I say taking a fry from his plate.

"Speed-dating?" Joey says rolling his eyes in a hurtful way.

"What's wrong with that?" I snap upset that he seemed mad at me and I didn't do anything.

"Nothing if you want a million guys breathing down your neck all night, but then again I guess most girls do. It's something Holly would love." Joey says causally and my face reddens.

"Joey, I don't know what the hell I did to you but you're being a jackass." I say my voice shaking. I stood up and stormed off. I knew I would have to face him sooner or later but right now I choose later.

"Izzy." I hear Joey say loudly but I keep walking. I wasn't going to talk to him. I was not in the mood.

I found myself roaming around the school. This was probably a good thing. I needed to get better at finding places by myself. I found where the pool was and the arcade. I found a rec like place where all the ball fields were. I was amazed. They were so beautiful. I couldn't wait, in a few weeks there were tryouts. I already decided with the guys that I was going to try out. Joey had promised to help me practice as it came closer to time. Though now he might not. I guessed I could of been nicer but he really hurt me. I walked onto a field and sat on the pitchers mound. I loved it here. I ran my fingers through the dirt and smiled at the feel of it.

"Now, Mrs. Rivers, you aren't supposed to be on the field without a coach." A voice says from in front of me and I open my eyes to see Joey standing in front of me.

"Well I wasn't told that rule." I snap standing up and brushing off my pants.

"That's cause I just made it up." Joey says looking at his feet nervously. I stand there with my arms crossed. I didn't know what he wanted or why he was here but I didn't want to hear anymore crap from him.

"I'm sorry." Joey mumbles kicking the dirt with his feet.

"What?" I say and his head snaps to face me.

"I'm sorry. I was being a jerk." Joey says looking everywhere but at me.

"I know you were but I didn't expect you to say sorry." I mumble watching his search the field.

"I'll race ya." Joey says smiling at me and I raise my eyebrow in confusion.

"Excuse me?" I say sighing at him.

"I'll race ya. If I win, you forgive me and I'm off the hook. If you win, I'll do whatever you tell me to until next Monday and you can chose then if you forgive me or not." Joey says smiling at me.

"Once around the bases?" I say grinning. Joey nods and we both walk to home plate.

"On three?" Joey says and I nod.

"One."

"Two."

"Three." We both say and we were off.
♠ ♠ ♠
Aren't Joey and Izzy just so cute(: Comments please!