Status: Back in action. Active!

Lost

Chapter One

The sun was blazing down on the population of District 10, as they all stood in the town square. Everyone was looking anxiously at the temporary stage, waiting for the start of the The Reaping. I looked around, biting down on my bottom lip, looking for my brother. My brother was a victor of the Games, having won when he was only fifteen years old I needed to know I would be okay.. that it wouldn't be me that would walk up those steps of the Justice Building, then be whisked off to the Capitol to fight for my life.

I caught glance of my older brother, finally, and he was doing the same. Looking for me. When he found my face, he gave me an assuring smile and a thumbs up. I only smiled back at him before turning around and facing the Justice Building once more. I stood next to my best friend, hand in hand, holding onto each other for dear life.

"It'll be okay, Faye.. The odds will be in your favor. They always are," she whispered to me, giving my hand a squeeze.

It didn't make me feel any better.. I did not have a good feeling about today. I didn't know if it was just because it was the Reaping, or if it was because something was going to happen.

"Just think about it. You just have to get through today, then we only have two more years left. We'll be okay," Madilyn, that was her name, looked over at me and smiled a soft smile, though it didn't meet her eyes. She was just as terrified as I was.

She was right, though. The odds were more in my favor, more than some of the children that were standing around and waiting. I haven't had to take out tesserae ever since my brother won four years ago. Though, being sixteen years old, my name was in there quite a few times for the tesserae I had taken out before he had won.

I gave a smile back to Madilyn, before shrugging my shoulders, "I don't know. I don't have a-"

I was cut off by the mayor as he stepped up to the podium and began to read the same thing he does every year. It's about the history of Panem, I've heard it so many times that I've learned to just tune it out. Madilyn looks over towards me and I give her a not-so-convincing smile. She squeezed my hand again, but this time it was a bit more harsh than the last. I rolled my eyes and looked back towards the mayor, acting as if I was suddenly interested in his story of Panem.

Soon enough, the District 10 escort steps up to the podium with her sugary sweet smile on her lips, "Happy Hunger Games!" She exclaimed happily, her eyes scanning the crowd, "And may the odds be ever in your favor. Now, let's get started. As always, ladies first!" She scurried over to the bowl that held thousands of names. Both mine and Madilyn's grip on each other got painfully tighter. I watched her with wary eyes as she snatched up a piece of paper and walked back over to the podium.

Time seemed to move achingly slow at this point. I seemed to watch our escort, Winnie Grimme, open up the piece of paper and smooth it out in slow motion. That's when the name of the female tribute rang out through the square, "Faye Garner."

I stood completely still and looked up at the stage with a fearful gaze. Me? It couldn't be me! There were so many other names in there! It wasn't supposed to be my year! Tears pooled my eyes as I kept staring up at the stage and Winnie repeated my name. Finally, Madilyn jerked me from my thoughts by pulling me into a hug.

"Be careful, Faye," I heard her whisper in my ear. I nodded, wrapping my arms around her. I let go of her shortly after and made my way towards the stage. I tried hard to keep my face void of any emotion, but I knew that fear was written all over my face. I stood next to Winnie as she asked for any volunteers. Of course, there weren't any. I knew there wouldn't be. No one wanted to go out and die in an arena full of teenagers.

"Okay, now for our male tribute!" Winnie said in an exciting voice. She went over to the bowl full of boys names. She grabbed one quickly and went back over to the podium. Clearing her throat, the next name rang out in the square, "Riley Thompson."

I knew of him from school, we talked briefly when given assignments. We would sometimes pair up together, growing somewhat of a friendship through out the years. We weren't very close, though. I watched as his bulky form made its way to the stage and stood beside me. He didn't look bothered by the fact that we were about to go into an arena to die, but then again, he knew that he had a fair chance. He was strong and he knew how to work with knives, so he might make it out alive. We faced each other and shook hands, but before I knew it, he pulled me into a hug on stage.

"We'll be okay," he whispered in my ear, before letting go of me and giving a smile to the crowd, waving to them. I waved back weakly, before we were ushered off stage and into the Justice Building.

I was shown to a room and I sat down in the overly stuffed chair, before the tears started to pour down my cheeks. I knew I didn't stand a chance out there. Yes, I was fairly strong and I knew how to work with a bow and arrow.. but compared to other districts, to other tributes.. I wouldn't make it past the first day. Once my brother came back from the arena, he made it known that he was going to show me how to survive. And that he did, he taught me everything he knew. From archery and knives, to knowing which plants were poisonous and which were medicinal. But it didn't mean that I would make it past the Cornucopia without a knife in my back.

Suddenly, the door was thrown open and my parents were in the room. My brother, Derek, wasn't there because he was going to be a mentor so I knew I would see him soon enough. I was swept into a hug by my father and I couldn't help but hug him back, tightly, "What am I going to do, daddy? I can't do this!" I cried into his shoulder.

"Yes, you can, Faye. Derek has taught you everything you need to know! You can do this, you can make it back alive.. I know it," He whispered into my hair, before letting me go.

Soon, I was engulfed into a hug by both of my mother. My mother was crying and I knew my father was trying hard not to. I let more tears fall and hugged her tightly.

"Knock them dead, Faye," I heard my father whisper behind my mother, before placing a kiss on my forehead. I smiled weakly and nodded, "I'll try."

"There is no trying. You will," He said, the tone in his voice telling me there was no arguing with him. I only nodded again.

"I love you sweetie.. Stay true to yourself, okay?" My mother said, and I nodded, giving her a weak smile. I wasn't going to change who I was to get sponsors, they would have to like me for me.

Soon, a Peacekeeper opened the door and told them that it was time to leave. I gave them all one last hug goodbye.

"Get your hands on a bow, Faye! You can do this!" My father called out to me, before I was alone again.

I couldn't do this.

I didn't even have time to sit down before Madilyn burst through the door and picked me up in a death grip of a hug, "Oh, Faye!" She wailed, her grip only tightening even more. I hugged her back, allowing a sob to escape from my chest. We didn't say anything pretty much the whole time that she was there with me.. We stayed like that, in a hug and crying. It was comforting to know how much she actually did love me and how much she cared. Soon, she let go of me and took off her necklace, before placing it around my neck. It was simple. It was a dainty chain and on the end of it was a small bird in gold with its wings out. I smiled through my tears and wrapped my arms back around my best friend, "I believe in you, Faye.. I love you.. Please, try to win."

I nodded my head and we let go of each other, "I promise. I promise I will try."

That was all I needed: the support from my family and my best friend. I had people to come home to.

She smiled and nodded, before giving me one last hug and leaving the room. Once again, I was all alone.

I thought that I wouldn't have anymore visitors, but only minutes later did the door open again. This time, it was Riley. He gave me a small smile as he closed the door behind him and walked over to where I was. Sitting down in the chair across from me, he let out a sigh and ran his hands through his dark hair. It was silent for a while. I didn't know why he was here, I didn't know what to say... so I just looked at him and waited.

"We have to stick together, Faye," He finally said, looking over at me. That took me by surprise. I thought he would just leave me in the dust once the games started.. but I guess not.

Finally, I nodded my head slowly, "Um.. okay."

And that was all that had to be said. He nodded his head, and it went silent again. At least one thing was for certain when we entered the arena. We wouldn't be alone.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hi guys!

There should be updates on this story daily! Please, comment below and tell me what you thought of this chapter.