Status: Back in action. Active!

Lost

Chapter Four

"So, tomorrow is our first day of training," I heard Riley say as we sat alone at the dinner table. It was just after the parade and my heart was still beating from the nerves I had felt during that time. I didn't even want to think of training!

"I know.." I said in a quiet tone, swirling my fork around in my food, "Are you nervous?" I looked up at him after I asked this, just to see how exactly he was reacting. He shrugged his shoulders, his eyes not meeting mine. He didn't answer for a bit, so I just looked back down at my food and took a bite.

"Yeah.. I am. This is the first time we'll be around the other tributes.. Are you nervous?" I immediately nodded, but I didn't say anything to him. There was really no way to describe how nervous I was about being in the same room with all of the other tributes.. The tributes that would be planning my death in their minds as they looked at me. I know that we weren't allowed to fight with the other tributes, so I didn't have to worry about the others trying to kill me off right then in that room.. but I just didn't want to face them. I put down my fork and stood up, "I'm going to talk to my brother.. I'll see you tomorrow," I said, before giving him a slight smile and walking towards my brothers room. I knocked on the door of his room and, when hearing his muffled 'come in,' I walked in.

I hadn't been in my brother's room yet, but it wasn't really different from my own. I looked around for a moment as I closed the door behind me. My eyes soon landed on my brother's form, sitting on his bed. I smiled at him, before walking over and sitting next to him. We didn't say anything for some time, we were just enjoying each others company while we could. We didn't know if I was going to live, after all. Suddenly, he reached his arm around and placed it around my shoulders. I smiled up at him and leaned into his chest, letting out a sigh, "What's the plan for tomorrow?"

"Well, tomorrow is your first day of training."

"I know that! I mean, what do you want me to do?" I rolled my eyes a little at his vague statement.

"Well, it's up to you," He said, after a moment of thinking, "You can either show the other tributes your skills.. or you can wait and focus on the other stations, like camoflauge and fire making."

"I don't want to appear like I'm some huge weakling, when I'm not. I'm afraid that if I just focus on the other stations, that's what they'll think of me," I said, my voice fairly quiet. I didn't want them to peg me as weak and write me off the second we get into the arena. That just wasn't an option for me. I wanted to stand a chance.. I do stand a chance, if I can make it past the Cornucopia.

"Then show your skills. You're talented with a bow and arrow, Faye. I taught you well.. You're also good with knives, you can handle yourself when you get out there. I also want you to focus on the other stations, though. You'll definitely need them. Focus on those stations first.. then when you think it's a good time, show off your skills," Derek told me, wrapping his other arm around me so we were in a hug. I lifted up my arms and hugged him back, nodding my head.

"Alright.. I'll do that."

---

The ride in the elevator the next morning seemed to take forever. At least, it did in my mind. I was so nervous and Riley could tell. He took my hand in his and gave it a reassuring squeeze, just before the doors opened. We walked in, hand in hand, ignoring the other tributes. It was hard to ignore their stares, but I somehow managed to do it.

I was pretty proud of myself in that moment.

As the instructor gave out the rules, I looked around the other tributes. There were many that were tall.. muscular.. scary. I was very tiny, which could be confused for me being weak. I'm positive I'm not as strong as most of these tributes, especially the Careers. I could point out the Careers just by glancing at them. It was the way they held themselves in such a cocky manner.. Not to mention, they were all huddled together. They had already made their alliances with each other, just like each Career did, year after year. They were doing the same thing that I was doing, looking over the competition. I quickly looked away before they noticed that I was staring at them. Soon enough, we were dismissed to go to the stations. I stood in the same place for a moment, looking around at the different stations I could go to. Many of the tributes immediately headed towards the weapons, so I knew that I should steer away from that for a while, until the line died down.

So, I went towards the edible plants station. I learned all I could about which plants were dangerous, and which would keep me alive while I was in the arena. Of course, Derek had taught me about some of the plants that he knew, but the trainer that was telling me all about it, as well as quizzing, obviously knew so much more. I spent quite some time over there, probably half an hour, before I stood up to show I was done at that station for the day. I gave the trainer a smile and a thank you, before waving towards him and looked back around at the stations. I noticed Riley over towards the archery station, and he caught my eye. He waved me over, but I was hesitant. I looked around, and of course, at least one or two tributes had their eyes on me. I let out a breath, before standing up a bit straighter and walking over towards Riley to wait with him in line.

"Did you learn anything?" He asked, looking around him, before back down at me.

"I know what plants could kill me, if that's what you mean," I said, shrugging my shoulders "It was helpful.. You should go check out that station sometime this week."

That was the last of the small conversation, it seemed, because Riley glanced up and there was a hard glare on his face. I looked back to see who exactly he was glaring at. It was Preston, just like at the parade. He was staring my down with a smirk on his lips. I was trying to read him, but his eyes and body language gave absolutely nothing away. I looked back over at Riley and hit him lightly on his chest, "Stop. If you keep that up, he's going to go after you the minute we step into the arena, Ri!" I scolded him, frowning.

"He needs to stop that," He responded, not breaking his gaze with the blonde tribute.

"And you need to stop! All he's doing is staring, it's nothing troublesome."

"It's the way he's staring. It's like he's already decided you're his first target," Riley said, finally breaking his gaze with Preston to look down at me. My eyebrows came together in confusion and I looked over at Preston, just to see if Riley was right. He did seem to have a knowing smirk on his lips, as if he had something planned as he looked at me. I quickly looked away, before pushing Riley up, telling him that it was his turn.

"I'm going to pass on this.. You can go," He mumbled, walking off towards the swords. That was his strong suit, anyway. So, I stepped up. Picking up the bow in my hand, I stood in form without any arrow. I needed to get used to it, first. I placed my eye on a target, before pulling back on the bowstring and letting go. It was definitely something that I wasn't used to, because it was built better than the bows that Derek and I trained with. After a few more times doing that, I picked up an arrow and placed it in the arrow rest. I rose up and drew the arrow back in one fluid motion. I set the arrow where I wanted it to go, then let go and watched it fly. It lodged itself right in the center of the bullseye on the target. I smiled, happy with my outcome, before placing the bow back down and stepping away from the station. I didn't want to do that too much, just when I felt I needed to practice on the bow a little more.

I moved over to the knives, getting ready to throw a few. I let one fly, before they announced that it was time for lunch. Good, I didn't want to show off my knife skills, anyway! I placed down the other two knives that I held in my hands, before moving to the exit. I felt someone grab my hand and I looked back, expecting it to be Riley. However, I was surprised when I saw the blonde boy known as Preston.

"Good job with the bow and arrow today," Was all he said, that stupid smirk on his lips. Then, he let go of my hand and walked off, towards the lunch room. I stood there a moment, my eyebrows together in confusion and slight anger. What was he playing at?

Whatever it was, I knew that I couldn't fall for mind games that these tributes were going to try and pull.
♠ ♠ ♠
It's been a while, I'm sorry!