Status: Back in action. Active!

Lost

Chapter Five

Life in training had been hard. With training everyday, as well as putting up with Riley and the other tributes, I felt as if I was going to go insane from all of the tension and hostility that was growing between the twenty four of us. I had been adamant to Riley about not making any sort of alliance with anyone before the arena, because I knew what it would come down to. It would come down to us killing each other in the long run, so I didn't want to deal with it. He wasn't happy with my decision, but he respected it. I think he just wanted more protection, but I could protect myself just fine. As could he.

Today was the private sessions with the Gamemakers, and honestly, I was relieved. I was so sick and tired of all the tension between all of us, I was ready for people just do what they had come to do; kill. I was currently staring down at the floor as I waited for my name to be called, my leg shaking up and down from nerves and impatience. Riley was beside me, his arms crossed and a blank stare on his face. I knew he was scared, especially about his score. Our scores determined if we would get any help from sponsors in the arena and we could use all of the help that we could get. Everyone could.. We all wanted to survive, after all.

"Faye Garner," the seemingly robotic woman voice called out. I stared at the door for a moment, before letting out a breath. Riley reached over and rubbed my back, giving my shoulder a reassuring squeeze, before letting me go. Soon after, I stood up and walked over to the door, stepping into the room. It slammed behind me, but I didn't flinch like I thought that I would.

My eyes took in the room around me. It was like the training area, but it had a colder feeling in this room than it did there. My eyes went straight to the archery station, before looking up at the Gamemakers. I walked over to the station and picked up the bow, before turning to face them, "Faye Garner, District 10," was all that I said. I just wanted to get this over with.

I picked up an arrow and placed it into the arrow rest, placing my eye on the target. Straight in the center, that's what I was hoping for.. I had to impress them. I had trained with this bow, though, so I could do this. That's what I had to keep telling myself. With those thoughts in my mind, I rose up the bow and drew the arrow back in that motion that I was so used to. Setting the end of the arrow where I wanted it to go, I let out a breath before letting it go and watching it fly. It seemed to go in slow motion for me, something that had happened often while I was in this predicament, before lodging itself in the center of the target, where the heart would be. A huge smile came to my lips, before I did it once more, just to show them that I could be consistent with my archery. I looked up at them once I was done, watching their faces, but they didn't show any sort of emotion. I placed the bow back where I had gotten it, before nodding towards them, "Thank you," I said, loud enough for them to hear, before walking out of the room.

It was now night time and nearly time for our scores to be shown. I was gripping Derek's hand tightly, but my face was showing nothing. I didn't want the team to know how nervous I was about my score. I didn't think that I had done good enough.. I should have shown them my other skills, my stelth, my knife throwing.. but it was too late to do anything, "It'll be okay, Faye," my brother was whispering over and over again in my ear as we waited for the results. My brown eyes cut to the television once I heard the voice of Caesar Flickerman fill the room. Everyone grew quiet in anticipation and I even felt Derek tense up some. After his introduction, it started.

I had never bothered to remember most of the tribute's names, just because I didn't see the point. Almost all of them would be dead in just a few days time. It was no surprise when the first two, District One, had gotten good scores. The girl of a nine and the boy an eight. Next was District two and I felt Riley straighten up as Preston's name was announced. He really didn't like that guy. When his score was declared on television for everyone to hear, my eyes widened and I knew that Riley looked the same as I did. Preston Levi; score of eleven.

In that moment, I knew that he was not someone that I wanted to mess with.

After his surprising score, the scores dwindled down back to normal. Most of the tributes had gotten reasonable scores, with the exception of the girl from District Four, who had only gotten the score of a five. Finally, it was time for our District to know what he had made.

"From District Ten, we have Riley Thompson with a score of.." Caesar paused looking down at his paper, before a smile came to his face as he looked back up into the camera. I knew this was driving my fellow tribute mental, "Nine." I heard him let out a sigh of relief and the room went into an uproar of 'congratulations' and 'I knew you would be fine.' I was happy for him, I really was, but now it was my turn.

"And now, for the girl. From District Ten, we have Faye Garner with a score of.." I held my breath, staring at the screen as I waited for the number to pop up, "Seven." I stared at the number, happy that it was somewhat decent, but I had always hoped for better. I was slightly disappointed with myself, but I knew that I could work with that score. I let a smile come to my lips and I leaned back into the couch as my brother clapped his hand down on my shoulder with happiness.

"We could do this, Faye. We could beat them," Riley whispered in my ear after he leaned back into the couch to talk to me.

I didn't answer him for a minute, because I didn't know what to say to him. Sure, we could have a chance, but there is no guarantee. Not to mention.. there was only one winner. There couldn't be two, and I didn't want it to come down to the two of us. I knew the alliance between the two of us would have to end eventually. Finally, I looked over towards him and shook my head, "There's only one winner, Ri," I whispered back to him.

He nodded his head with a small smile, "I know.."

"I don't want it to come down to just the two of us," I said, frowning a little as he smiled. Why the hell would he be smiling about this?

"When there's only a few people left, I know that we'll have to go our seperate ways, Faye.. but we could make it. Maybe one of us could win," He said, his tone hopeful as he thought about all of this.

I stood up and shook my head, looking down at him, "I don't know.." I said, before walking back towards my room.

I was ready for all of this to be over.
♠ ♠ ♠
It's been a while, I know! I'm sorry! So, I think that this chapter sucked. It was more of a filler, with the scores.

I had lost inspiration for this story at some point, but I'm going to finish it! I promise! Also, I noticed a lot of you talking about how you all think that this is going to be a District Ten version of Peeta and Katniss' story. I can tell you now that it won't be, this plot is original and I don't want you all to think that.

Anyway, I'll update soon. In the mean time, tell me what you all thought! (: