The Fellowship

The White Wizard

Aelinaras, Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli had entered Fangorn. Gimli spotted burgundy fluid covering a small amount of foliage, and decided to taste it, he quickly spit it out. "Orc blood!" Aelinaras looked at him and shook her head. "You shouldn't have licked it!" she said thumping him over the head. Aragorn stooped down looking at large holes in the forest floor. "These are strange tracks." he stated looking up and around him. "The air is so close here." Gimli complained slight shaken from the vibe Fangorn gave off. "This forest is old. Very old. Full of memory and anger." Legolas said looking very confused. The trees began to groan, creek, and bellow. At this Gimli raised his axe. "The trees are speaking to each other." Legolas said to Aelinaras who just leered at him still peeved about his attitude earlier. "Gimli!" she and Aragorn called. "Huh?" he asked looking around. "Lower your axe." Aragorn said before both he and Aelinaras sent looks at each other that said Idiot. "They have feelings, my friend. The Elves began it: waking up the trees, teaching them to speak." Aelinaras said to the dwarf. Gimli scoffed "Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm? Except the consistency of squirrel droppings." Aelinaras rolled her eyes at his statement. "Aragorn, nad no ennas!/Something is out there!" Legolas warned his elven eyes scanning the forest. "Man cenich?/What do you see?" Aragorn asked. Legolas' eyes flickered to the right. "The White Wizard approaches." "Do not let him speak. He will put a spell on us!" Aragorn warned. Aelinaras reached under her shirt to her shoulder where she had a dagger hidden, Gimli tightened his grip on his axe, Aragorn wrapped his hand tightly on the hilt of his sword, and Legolas readied an arrow. "We must be quick." Aragorn whispered the four turned around to attack, a bright light that sprung from the wizard blinded them. Aelinaras found herself frozen this was the down side to being able to turn into a deer bright lights such as this could render her motionless. Gimli's axe was deflected as well as Legolas' arrow. Aragorn found his sword had become to blistering to hold. "You are tracking the footsteps of two young Hobbits." the wizard said his voice sounded like that of Saruman's. "Where are they?"Aragorn said as Aelinaras snapped out of her temporary paralysis. "They passed this way, the day before yesterday. They met someone they did not expect. Does that comfort you?" the wizard asked.

Aelinaras glared at him. “Like hel-" Legolas covered her mouth before she could finish she growled. "Who are you? Show yourself!" Aragorn demanded. The light dimed seeing who it was both Legolas and Gimli bowed. Against all odds and all the four companions new to be true, cloak is glowing white, there stood Gandalf. Aelinaras stood with her eyes widened. "It cannot be!" Aragorn said in utter disbelief. "Forgive me. I mistook you for Saruman." Legolas said shamefully. "I am Saruman. Or rather Saruman as he should have been." Gandalf replied. "You fell!" Aragorn said still confused his voice cracked, as this real or just a spell. "Through fire. And water.From the lowest dungeon to the highest peak, I fought him, the Balrog of Morgoth...Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside. Darkness took me. And I strayed out of thought and time. Stars wheeled overhead, and every day was as long as the life age of the earth. But it was not the end. I felt light in me again." everyone was silent looking at him intently. "I've been sent back until my task is done." the wizard finished. Aelinaras blinked before shouting "Gandalf!" and ran over to him hugging him. "I knew it!" she said her voice coming out in a pitchy gurgle as she fought back tears. "Gandalf? Oh yes. That's what they used to call me. Gandalf the Grey. That was my name." he said returning her hug and patting her head. "Gandalf!" Gimli cheered. The old wizard smirked. "I am Gandalf the White. And I come back to you now, at the turn of the tide."

"One stage of your journey is over, another begins. War has come to Rohan. We must ride to Edoras with all speed." Gandalf spoke urgently while the five walked through the forest. "Edoras? That is no short distance!" Gimli said with large eyes. "We hear of trouble in Rohan. It goes ill with the king." Aelinaras added in. "Yes, and it will not be easily cured." Gandalf replied. "Then we have run all this way for nothing? Are we to leave those poor hobbits here in this horrid, dark, dank tree-infested" the trees groaned stopping Gimli before he said anything more. "I mean charming, quite charming forest." he added quickly Aelinaras laughed while patting a tree. "It was more than mere chance that brought Merry and Pippin to Fangorn. A great power has been sleeping here for many long years. The coming of Merry and Pippin will be like the falling of small stones that starts an avalanche in the mountains." Gandalf said Aragorn smiled. "In one thing you have not changed, dear friend." he stated. "Hmm?" Gandalf asked. "You still speak in riddles." Aragorn finished at this everyone laughed. "A thing is about to happen here that has not happened since the Elder Days. The Ents are going to wake up and find that they are strong."
Gandalf continued. "Strong? Oh, that's good." Gimli said trying to hide his fear. "So stop your fretting Master Dwarf. Merry and Pippin are quite safe. In fact, they are far safer than you are about to be." Gandalf added. Gimli stopped and mumbled under his breath "This new Gandalf's more grumpy than the old one."

Outside of the forest Gandalf lets out a piercing whistle. A neigh was heard as a pallid stallion emerged in the grassland. "That is one of the Mearas, unless my eyes are cheated by some spell." Legolas said watching the breathtakingly fair horse as it stopped in front of Gandalf. "Shadowfax He's the lord of all horses, and has been my friend through many dangers." Gandalf said petting his horse fondly. He looked over at Aelinaras with an arched brow. "And I am sure he misses his heir" he added. "Heir? What are you speaking of?.....Morgurth?" the she elf asked befuddled. “yes I gave him to you on your 97th birthday you remember" Gandalf said jokingly. "I know but, oh okay" Aelinaras pulled out a whistle and blew it. After a few minutes a large rustle could be heard through the forest. Morgurth came trotting out neighing gleefully to see his rider. "Hey Morgurth um I guess this is your father" Aelinaras said leading the horses over to each other. Shadowfax nipped on Morgurth's ear. Everyone figured that was a horses way of saying I missed you.

Treebeard walked slowly through the forest carrying merry and pippin. "Oh rowan mine I saw you shine upon a summer's day. Upon your head how golden-red the crown you bore aloft." the Ent sang. Merry yawned. "Such a beautiful verse." Treebeard said to himself. "Is it much further?" Merry asked getting quit tired. "Bru-ra-hroom. Don't be hasty. You might call it far perhaps. My home lies deep in the forest near the roots of the mountain. I told Gandalf I would keep you safe and, safe is where I'll keep you. I believe you will enjoy this next one. It is one of my own compositions. Right, ahem." Treebeard said clearing his throat. "Beneath the roof of sleeping leaves and the dreams of trees unfold. When woodland halls are green and cool, and the wind is in the west. Come back to me. Come back to me, and say my land is best." he sang. Merry and pippin were lulled to sleep. "Oh, oh. Sleep little Shirelings. Heed no nightly noise. Sleep 'til morning light." Treebeard said setting the hobbits down on the ground. "I have business in the forest. There are many to call. Many that must come. The shadow lies on Fangorn. The withering of all woods is drawing near. The trees have grown wild and dangerous. Anger festers in their hearts. They will harm you if they can. There are too few of us now. Too few of us left to manage them."

It was now sundown the five companions made camp for the night. Aelinaras was still giving Legolas the cold shoulder. Gandalf and Aragorn surveyed the sky. Mordor's fiery light could be seen in the distance. "The veiling shadow that glowers in the East takes shape. Sauron will suffer no rival. From the summit of Barad-Dr his Eye watches ceaselessly. But he is not so mighty yet that he is above fear. Doubt ever gnaws at him. The rumor has reached him: the heir of Nmenor still lives. Sauron fears you, Aragorn. He fears what you may become. And so he'll strike hard and fast at the world of men."Gandalf paused. "He will use his puppet Saruman to destroy Rohan. War is coming. Rohan must defend itself and therein lies our first challenge, for Rohan is weak and ready to fall. The King's mind is enslaved. It's an old device of Saruman's. His hold over King Theoden is now very strong. Sauron and Saruman are tightening the noose." Gandalf looked over at Aragorn before looking back at Mordor's light."But for all their cunning, we have one advantage. The Ring remains hidden, and that we should seek to destroy it has not yet entered their darkest dreams. And so the weapon of the enemy is moving towards Mordor in the hands of a hobbit. Each day brings it closer to the fires of Mount Doom. We must trust now in Frodo. Everything depends upon speed and the secrecy of his quest." Aragorn let out a sigh. "Do not regret your decision to leave him. Frodo must finish this task alone." Gandalf added. Aragorn looked at the elderly wizard bleakly. "He is not alone. Sam went with him." he stated. Gandalf nodded "Did he? Did he indeed? Good. Yes, very good." the old wizard said smiling.

Aelinaras, Gandalf, Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli drew nearer to Edoras. The small village sat on an elevated precipitous hill over smooth lush plains. Behind it, in the distance snowy White Mountains overlook. "Edoras and the Golden Hall of Meduseld. There dwells Theoden, King of Rohan, whose mind is overthrown. Saruman's hold over King Theoden is now very strong." Gandalf stated prior to looking over at Aelinaras sternly. "Be careful what you say. Do not look for welcome here." he warned as they came to the gate, they saw a blonde woman watching them from the castle. A flag tore off a poll near the gateway and landed near Aragorn. "This place is so dismal" Aelinaras voiced looking around. The five received oblique looks from the villagers as they rode through the township. "You'll find more cheer in a graveyard." Gimli commented. As they climbed the steps of the castle the five were stopped by the guards. "I cannot allow you before Theoden king so armed, Gandalf Grayhame. By order of Grima Wormtongue." Hama the lead guard said. Gandalf nodded at the four and they began to unarm themselves. "Aelinaras handed over all her swords, her cross bow, and all that was left was daggers....and more daggers, and more daggers. Everyone was giving her funny looks. "What?" she asked. "Your staff." Hama said nodding to Gandalf’s tall white staff. "Eh? Oh. No, you would not part an old man from his walking stick?" Gandalf said sounding as old and tired as he could. Hama thought about for a minute and then nodded knowingly. He figured he needed it to help him walk.

Gandalf linked arms with Legolas as if for additional support while walking as they entered the hall. Grima a short slimy looking insipid man stood at the king’s side. "My lord. Gandalf the Grey is coming. He is a herald of woe." he whispered. "The courtesy of your hall is somewhat lessened of late, Theoden King." Gandalf stated as the guards followed him and his party. "He is not welcome." Grima whispered to the king. "Why should I welcome you, Gandalf Stormcrow?" Theoden asked his voice was wrapped and strained. "A just question my liege." Grima whispered before standing up. "Late is the hour in which this conjurer chooses to appear. Lathspell I name him. Ill news is in ill guest." the worm sneered. Aelinaras glared at him. "Be silent! Keep your forked tongue behind you teeth. I have not passed through fire and death to bandy crooked words with a witless worm!" Gandalf yelled raising his staff. "His staff! I told you to take the wizard's staff!" Grima yelled at the guards whom panicked. Legolas, Aragorn, Aelinaras and Gimli fought off the guards so that Gandalf could reach Theoden. A guard went to draw his blade but Hama stopped him. "Theoden, Son of Thengel. Too long have you sat in the shadows" Gandalf said getting closer. Gimli knocked down Grima putting his foot on his chest. "I would stay still if I were you." he warned. "Harken to me! I release you from the spell." Gandalf said holding out a hand. The king began to laugh. "You have no power here Gandalf the Grey." he said and kept laughing. Gandalf threw his old grey cloak to the side revealing his bright white robes. Startled, Theoden leaned back into his throne. "I will draw you, Saruman, as poison is drawn from a wound." Gandalf stated placing his staff on the king’s head. Squirming in his throne the possessed king yelped. Eowyn rushed in trying to get to her uncle yet Aragorn held her back. "Wait." he told her. "If I go Theoden dies." the king said but it was Saruman's voice. Gandalf pointed his staff at Theoden again making him lurch back into his throne. "You did not kill me. You will not kill him." the wizard’s voice was commanding. "Rohan is mine!" the king sneered. "Be gone!" Gandalf called as Theoden jumped up at him yelling. Though he was launched back into his throne. Saruman flew backward in his chamber at Orthanc. Eowyn ran to Theoden, whose face had began to turn normal. "I know your face. Eowyn Eowyn." Theoden said Eowyn smiled as did he. "Gandalf?" he asked. "Breathe the free air again, my friend."Gandalf said with a tired sigh. "Dark have been my dreams of late." the king stated. "Your fingers would remember their old strength better if they grasped your sword." Gandalf voiced. Hama handed the king his sword. Theoden drew it looking it over. Then turning an angered gazed at the cowering Grima.