The Fellowship

Journey to Helms Deep

Grima was thrown out of the hall and down the stairs, he landed on his back and cringed in pain. "Argh! I've only ever served you my lord." he pleaded. "Your leechcraft would have had me crawling on all fours like a beast!" Theoden yelled. "Send me not from your side!" the worm pleaded again. Theoden raised his sword to kill him. Aragorn quickly grabbed the king’s hand and Aelinaras went to help the worm up. “We’re willing to give you a second chance be grateful" she told him holding out her hand. Grima spat blood on it and ran off. "Hail, Theoden, King!" Aragorn called the crowd wasted no time and kneeled before the king. "Where is Theodred? Where is my son?" Theoden asked looking over the crowd.

Rohirrim were gathered for Theodred's funeral. Theodred’s body was carried toward the tomb on a bier made of shields and spears. Eowyn pulled Aelinaras to the side. "Forgive me but I’ll not make it through the song will you help me sing?" she asked the she elf. "please I heard the elves have magnificent voices" she pleaded. Aelinaras smiled knowingly at her. "Sure" Eowyn smiled as she and Aelinaras went to the grave and sang while the women lowered the body into the grave.

"Bealocwealm hafa frone frecan forth onsended
giedd sculon singan glomenn sorgiende/ An evil death has set forth the noble warrior
A song shall sing sorrowing minstrels"
"on Meduselde t he ma no wre,
t he ma nowere is, urh niedig rest/in Meduseld that he is no more,
That he is nowhere anymore, for his necessary rest"
They closed the tomb and Eowyn found her voice to be mislaid by tears. Aelinaras hugged her and let her cry into her shoulder."And mgen deorost.
Bealo/And that he is the dearest kinsman.
Killing took him" Aelinaras finished for her after she feed her the rest of the words.

Theoden stood, with Gandalf, at his son's shut tomb, holding a beautiful white blossom. "Simbelmyn, ever has it grown on the tombs of my forebears. Now it shall cover the grave of my son." Theoden said looking over at Gandalf. "Alas, that these evil days should be mine. The young perish and the old linger. That I should live to see the last days of my house." he continued. "Theodred’s death was not of your making." Gandalf said trying to help. "No parent should have to bury their child." the king said breaking into soundless tears covering his face with his hand. "He was strong in life. His spirit will find its way to the halls of your fathers." Gandalf added. "Oh I’m sorry is this a bad time" Aelinaras asked holding something wrapped in cloth close to her. "No what is it you want" Theoden asked sniffing a little. Aelinaras gave him a cheerless smile. "My people have a custom when a king or princes dies we offer a crystal Lilly to lay on his grave" Aelinaras said unwrapping the cloth revealing a dazzling crystal bloom. Walking up to the tomb she stuck it in the ground. "It cannot be stolen for it's bound to the ground it's been planted in and soon it'll grow into a bush of lilies" Aelinaras explained. "Thank you child" Theoden said with a small smile. Aelinaras' gaze went to two children riding upon a horse in the distance. The tallest child fell from the large horse, Aelinaras ran to the children abandoning the two men.

Eowyn and Aelinaras sat at the sides of the two children in the golden hall. The two siblings were given some potage to eat while the king, Aragorn and Gandalf talked. "They had no warning. They were unarmed. Now the Wildmen are moving through westfold, burning as they go, every rick, cot and tree." Eowyn commented. "Where's mama?" the little girl asked. Eowyn was quick to hush her Aelinaras frowned at this. "Hey lets go to a different table I don't think you want to listen to them bicker and bark" she said to the children. They grabbed their bowls and moved down two tables. "So what are your names I am Aelinaras" the she elf said trying to make this kids feel better. “Freda and that’s othain" the little girl said half heartedly. "I like those names; do you wish to see a magic trick?" Aelinaras asked with a wide grin. "You know magic?" othain asked arching a brow. Aelinaras nodded. Holding out her palm a small flame danced in the center of it. "Now pick an animal" she told them. “A kitty!" Freda said a smile finally coming to her features. The flame twisted and turned until it final took on the form of a cat. The two kids smiled at each other and laughed. "That’s better" Aelinaras thought to herself before getting up to go see what on earth Theoden and Aragorn were at it about.

"I know what is that you want of me. But I would not bring further death to my people. I will not risk open war." Theoden said trying to remain calm even if it was evident he was frazzled. "Open war is upon you, whether would risk it or not." Aragorn said cutting in. the king turned to face him "When last I looked, Theoden, not Aragorn, was king of Rohan." "Then what is the king's decision?" Gandalf asked trying to ease the tension.

Outside the Golden Hall many of the villagers had gathered around. "By order of the King, the city must empty. We make for the refuge of Helm's Deep. Do not burden yourself with treasures. Take only what provisions you need." Hama called out to them. "Helm's Deep! They flee to the mountains when they should stand and fight. Who will defend them if not their king?" Gimli ranted as they entered the stables. "He is only doing what he thinks is best for his people. Helm's Deep has saved them in the past." Aragorn said as if it was more for himself than anything else. "There is no way out than that of ravine. Theoden is walking into a trap. He thinks he is leading them to safety, but what he'll get is a massacre." Gandalf said turning to Aragorn. "Are you sure of this?" Aelinaras asked. Gandalf just looked at her. "Yes of course you are what was I even thinking!" Aelinaras said throwing her arms in the air. "Theoden has a strong hold but I fear for him. I fear for the survival of Rohan.....He will need you before the end, Aragorn. The people of Rohan will need you. The defenses have to hold." Gandalf asked searching Aragorn’s face. "They will hold." Aragorn replied. Gandalf turned to Shadowfax resting a hand on its back. "The Grey Pilgrim. That is what they used to call me. Three hundred lives of men I've walked this earth and now, I have no time." the old wizard sighed before turning back to the ranger. "Look to my coming, at first light, on the fifth day. At dawn, look to the East." He said. "Go." Aragorn urged as Gandalf rode out of the stable to Gondor.

In the hall Aelinaras heard Eowyn and Aragorn talking, though she caught the end of the conversation Catching Aragorn as he walked out. "Why are you looking at me like that what have I done?" he asked. The she elf shook her head before nodding to Aragorn’s necklace Arewn had given him. He got the point. "We were just talking" he said defensively as she walked into the hall. “You need far more practice" Aelinaras laughed. Eowyn was swinging the sword around again. “and you could do better?" she asked. “no I can't I just carry around 6 swords for the fun of it" the she elf said amused with the face Eowyn made. "Six" Eowyn asked. Aelinaras nodded. “I’ll teach you how to wield a sword right once things calm down" Aelinaras said walking out of the room. "I’m holding you to that!" Eowyn called after her.

The Villagers were out of Edoras and now headed for Helm's Deep. "It's true you don't see many dwarf women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance; they are often mistaken for dwarf men." Gimli said going on about his people with great pride. Eowyn glanced back at Aragorn. "It's the beards." he whispered."And this in turn has given rise to the belief that there are no dwarf women. And the dwarves just spring out of holes in the ground!" Gimli kept on. Eowyn laughed as did the dwarf. "Which is of course ridiculous. Whoa!" Gimli said falling from the horse he was riding on. "It's all right! It's all right. Nobody panic. That was deliberate. It was deliberate." He called as Eowyn helped him up. "Yeah right Gimli!" Aelinaras called laughing hysterically. That night Aelinaras was told to stand guard for the night. Propped up against a rock she sang to herself.

I sit beside the fire
And think of how the world will be
When winter comes without a spring
That I shall ever see.
For still there are so many things
That I have never seen.
In every wood, in every spring
There is a different green.

"Aelinaras" Eowyn called timidly. "Hmm what is it" the she elf asked. Eowyn sat down next to her on the ground. "You wish to talk, about something that is bothering you?" Aelinaras asked. Eowyn nodded. “I am constantly drowned by mourning, and I can't find one who understands what it's like and still got through it" the girl paused. "My father was cut down by Orcs when I was just a girl, and I watch my other fall into great grief, I was left alone to wait upon my uncle who didn't love my father like he should have... you seem like one who would understand. I watch you you've lived longer than I and my uncle, and seen much more, and yet I see you run and play with the children and joke around, were do you get that strength?" Eowyn asked turning her gaze on the she elf. " tis' not strength Eowyn, I was taught long ago that in times of war to push back grief to keep sight on the battles ahead. Every elf I believe holds a natural grief in them, from the time when our people were taken and forced into torture, mutated from that way of life do you know what they became" Aelinaras asked looking deep into the distance. Eowyn shook her head. "Orcs....My brother and I were some of the ones taken.” Aelinaras' voice was cold like granite. "But you got away how? And unharmed?" Eowyn asked. "Not unharmed, I was burned from the inside in a vital area, I cannot bare children, and my brother died seeing to it I got out. My mother was bitter about it, my father sent me away to Lorien after I returned" Aelinaras finished turning to Eowyn. "You don't want my kind of strength, for I don't let go I have to forget" Eowyn nodded. "Then what should I do" she asked. "You Have strength, you will find it when the time comes, now go you need to sleep" Aelinaras said offering a small smile. It was returned and Eowyn went back to her tent. “I know many who would kill their own for your strength milady" Legolas called walking up. "Then they are fools" Aelinaras laughed. "Gandalf told me you planted a Crystal Lillie on Theoden's heir's gave" Legolas said pausing. Aelinaras nodded " what of it" "If I were to die you'd you plant one on mine?" Legolas asked. There was momentary silence. "Yeah....I will" She Stammered. Legolas raise an eyebrow. "Does the thought bother you" he asked with a small smile. "Does it bother you" She retorted before getting up to walk away.

In her sleep Aelinaras meet with Haldir. "You choose to contact me after I’ve walked half the day and need sleep" she told him. He laughed. "My timing was never perfect....I was worried how are you fairing" he asked hugging her. "Well enough, I’m still breathing" Aelinaras said sitting on a large tree root. "Why this scene?" she asked looking around. "Because this is where we used to play as children" Haldir said smiling warmly. "You mean this is where you used to poke fun at me" Aelinaras pouted. Haldir laughed. "Well back then you were a girl" He said in the Ew cooties manner. Aelinaras laughed. "I’m still am a girl" Haldir frowned and cupped her face in his hands. “no Aelinaras....No you’re not girl anymore" he spoke softly. The she elf looked at him with confusion,. "Well if I’m not a girl what am I male?" she laughed. Haldir smiled. "You’re a woman now Aelinaras.....even if you don't acted like it" Haldir said adding the last part as a cover. Aelinaras smiled. "I think you Fancy me" she teased. Haldir shook his head. "Your right I should have just let you sleep farewell milady you can always reach me in needed" Haldir said before the vision vanished.