The Fellowship

The Battle of Helms Deep

While Aragorn, Gimli, Legolas, Aelinaras, and the kings men tried to ready themselves for war. Frodo, Sam, and the creature golem had been taken captive. By Faramir of Gondor, Faramir and one of his rangers looked over a map at Henneth Annun. “News?" Faramir asked looking up at the ranger and friend of his Mandril. "Our scouts say Saruman has attacked Rohan. Theoden's people have ran to Helm's Deep. But we must look to our own borders. Faramir, Orcs are on the move. Sauron is marshalling an army. Easterlings and Southrons are passing through the Black Gate." Mandril said in a hushed tone. Faramir looked down at the map despairingly. "How many" he asked in a tired voice but it still held the tone a captain should always keep. "Some thousands. More come every day." "Who's covering the river to the north?" Faramir asked hastily. Mandril taken back by the quickness of the question paused. "We pulled five hundred men out of Osgiliath, but if the city is attacked, we won't hold It." he answered. Faramir nodded slightly and looked toward the hobbits. "Saruman attacks from Isengard. Sauron from Mordor. The fight will come to men on both fronts. Gondor is weak. Sauron will strike us soon. And he will strike hard. He knows now we do not have the strength to hold him at bay." Faramir sighed.

Two rangers removed the hoods that were placed on Sam and Frodo’s heads to prevent them some seeing they way the ranger’s location. "My men tell me that you are Orc spies." Faramir stated coolly walking to them. At this statement Sam’s face became red. "Spies! Now wait just a minute." He said raising his voice "Well if you're not spies, then who are you?" Faramir asked cutting in the two kept quiet Faramir sat down this was becoming a hassle of its own for him. "Speak!" he demanded looking at the two directly. Frodo cast a look at Sam before speaking "We are hobbits of the Shire. Frodo Baggins is my name and this is Samwise Gamgee." "Your guard?" Faramir asked Sam looked at him frigidly "His gardener." he said. "And where is your skulking friend? That unreally aged creature. He had an ill-favored look." Faramir asked. Frodo thought for a second. "There was no other." as he said this Sam looked at Frodo as if he had lost it. "We set out from Rivendell with seven companions. One we lost in Moria. Two were my kin. A dwarf there was also. And an elf. And two men. Aragorn, son of Arathorn A she elf Aleniaras lake deer and Boromir of Gondor."Frodo said in a very solemn tone at the sound of Aelinaras’ name the bracelet she had given him began the shake softly. "You were friend of Boromir?" Faramir asked with an unreadable face.

"Yes, for my part. And two others..." Frodo said. "It would grieve you then, to learn that he is dead?" Faramir said tightly as he stood up. "What how when?!" Frodo asked confusion written on his face. "As one of his companions, I had hoped you would tell me." Faramir shot. Frodo’s eyes went to the ground darting left and right as if searching for an answer or he was thinking every rapidly about something. "If something has happened to Boromir, we would have you tell us." Frodo said looking back up. His horn washed up upon the riverbank, about six days past. It was cloven in two." Faramir said holding out half of the horn Frodo held out his hand on the horn were a couple of strands of Long dark red hair. "She was there, I wonder, if she made it" Frodo thought slight panic Aelinaras was his refuge in knowing everything was going to be fine. "But more than this, I know it in my heart. He was my brother." Faramir said he voice was strained.

Aelinaras stood off in the corner putting on her own armor listening to everyone talking while trying to calm herself she was confident but she hasn't been completely right in battle since the fighting the forest. Aragorn readied himself as well Legolas came to him handing over the ranger’s sword. "We have trusted you this far and you have not led us astray. Forgive me. I was wrong to despair." he said humbly. Aelinaras smiled from across the room. "U-moe edamed, Legolas./There is nothing to forgive, Legolas" Aragorn replied with a smile. The elf prince's eyes locked onto the she elf’s. She nodded in approval and smiled. Loud clanging was heard as Gimli entered the room. He’s armor by far way to long for him. "If we had time, I'd get this adjusted." he stated pulling on the armor it fell past his legs to the ground. Aelinaras went into a fit of laughter. Everyone seemed relieved by this she had been down for a while. "It's a little tight across the chest." he added everyone laughed lightly but it was short lived as the loud horn was sounded. Aelinara’s face turn from shock to utter excitement she smiled "That is no Orc horn!" she said before dashing to the gate. the Men stared in awe as an small army of elves came through the gate, but these elves weren't like most others they all had fiery red hair and were armored in bright silver and black armor, and glittering methril mesh shirts under their dark green robe belled sleeve Tunics. Theoden walked down the old warn stairs and met the Elf Captain. "How is this possible?" the king asked. Aelinaras came bolting down the stair and tackled the Captain. He had long brick red hair and snow like pale blue eyes his hair fell to his knees and it was in a long braid, he had the look of a ranger but the face of a young king. " Noldor!" she cried hugging him tightly letting go quickly. "Well when a princess won't leave her grandmother alone you'll be surprised what will happen" Noldor said smiling warmly at Aelinaras. "An alliance once existed between elves and men. Long ago we fought and died together." Aelinaras said still grinning at him. "We come to honor that allegiance." he said to the king. "Mae govannen/ welcome!" Legolas said shaking Noldor's hand. Aragorn stood before the elf and then hugged him. Noldor was a little surprised, returned the gesture. “You are most welcome." Aragorn said with relief. Maybe just maybe they would last the night now. The army of elves turned to the king and lowered their bows and shields in unison. "We are proud to fight alongside men, once more." Noldor said Aelinaras and Legolas stood behind him the she elf holding a proud smirk. "I know we can do this" she thought.

Men and elves stood at Helm's Deep each one ill at ease. Aelinaras had gotten back from talking with Noldor who was on the far side of the elf army line. Saruman’s army caught her eye, their loud yells and rumbling could be heard even at the distance they were at. She stood next to Legolas quivering. The elf price laid a worried hand on her shoulder. "My lady? Are you okay" he asked Aelinaras jumped lightly. "Yes I’m fine, just the thrill you know..." he voice was irresolute. Legolas looked at her same way as the tone was in her voice. "Argh. You could have picked a better spot." Gimli complained trying to see over the wall. Aragorn let out a light chuckle hearing Gimli as he came up to the three. "Well lad, the luck you live by, let's hope it lasts the night." Gimli said shaking his head. Aelinaras drew in a sharp breath the army was getting closer and louder. The rumble of thunder and the crack of lighting just made it all seem so much more futile; they still had more sword and shield than both the men and elves. "Your friends are with you, Aragorn." Legolas said looking out at the sea of Orcs. Aelinaras couldn't tell if he was talking about the men or the three of them. "Let's hope they last the night." Gimli added the she elf glanced down at him. “I pray to valor that they're talking about the men" she thought. The wind picked up delicately as it began to rain. Aelinaras closed her eyes she could have sworn she could hear the Ainur singing. Yet still that appeased her very little. The troops of Saruman marched to the fore, carrying torches and long spears, the women and children down in the caves cradled their younger as they listened. Aragorn walked back and forth on the wall. "A Eruchîn, ú-dano i faelas a hyn an uben tanatha le faelas!/Show them no mercy! For you shall receive none!" he cried. He looked down at the huge army of Uruk-hai as they stopped in front of the walls.

"What's happening out there?" Gimli asked Aelinaras was frozen in her place. Legolas glanced at her "Shall I describe it to you? Or would you like me to find you a box?" he said to Gimli who laughed, but it did nothing for the she elf. "Mani naa ta?/what is it?" Legolas asked her leaning over. "Nothing, nothing’s wrong" Aelinaras said in a daze. Legolas tucked a strand of her hair behind her ear. "Lye nuquernuva sen e dagor/We will defeat them in battle" he cooed she still seemed uneasy the elf prince sighed in defeat. Where had her nerve gone? The Uruks pounded their spears and roared. The men and elves where in the fortress ready with their weapons, an old man lost his grip on his arrow and unintentionally shot and Orc killing it. The enemy army stood silent looking at the slain creature. "Dartho!/ Hold!" Aragorn called out. In anger the Uruks roared and charged forward. "So it begins." Aelinaras thought as she fired as many arrows as she could as fast as she could at the large mass of Orcs. "Faeg i-varv dîn na lanc a nu ranc./Their armor is weak at the neck and under the arms.!" Legolas cried out to the elf army as they too fired their arrows showering the Uruks with them. "Anybody hit anything?" Gimli asked. "Give them a volley." Theoden told one of his guards. "Fire!" Gamling ordered everyone did as told. "Tangado a chadad!/Keep firing!" Aragorn called out. "Come on! Send them to me!"Gimli yelled. Many Orcs fell dead after the countless arrows but now they were close enough to put up ladders before they did they sent a wave of arrows back. "no!" Aelinaras thought after an elf fell dead over the wall. "She looked over the edge notating were he had fallen.”I will not leave you there" she thought. "Pendraid!/Ladders!" Aragorn yelled. "Good!" cheered Gimli who was getting bored. The Uruk-hai climbed the ladders and the fighting became heavy.

"Legolas, two already!" Gimli called out hacking an Orcs head off. "I'm on seventeen!" Legolas called back to him. "I've got you both I’m on Twenty" Aelinaras said proudly. "Argh! I'll have no pointy-ear outscoring me!" Gimli yelled as he began o fight harder. Aelinaras laughed but stopped as she heard a child scream. "The kids!" she thought turning in the direction they were. "Why are they alone in that area!" she said before running over to them fighting her way through more ladders rose against the walls. An Uruk-hai had its axe raise above Aindar's head. "Leave him be!" Aelinaras yelled stabbing the foul thing in its heart. "My lady!" Aindar said running to her and hugging her waste. "Get behind me I'll keep them at bay but I want all of you to throw as many rocks at them as hard as you can it'll stun them okay!" she said to the little boys the all nodded and so the battle raged on.

Gimli hacked away at the Uruk-hai with his axe. As the fight at Helm's Deep continued. "Seventeen. Eighteen. Nineteen. Twenty. Twenty-one. Twenty-two." he counted one by one for each one he slain. Approaching the main gate was a group of Uruks covering in shields. "Northway! Nauthannen!" Aragorn called out trying to get someone in the army to attack them. Many of the Uruks fell down as the elves heard Aragorn’s command and shot at them. "Is this it? Is this all you can conjure, Saruman?" Theoden asked himself looking out at the battle. Aelinaras looked down and her eyes widened there was a enormous Uruk soldier carrying a brightly lit torch to a hole where a drain was in the wall. "Togo hon dad, Legolas! Dago hon!/Legolas, stop him! Kill him!" Aragorn called to the elf price. Legolas shot the solider twice but it kept moving. "Run kids get as far as you can Noldor! Watch the run!" Aelinaras called out, her fellow elf and the kids for they were right above the hole. There was a bright like and a loud boom as the wall exploded. Aelinaras screamed as she fell to the ground as did Aragorn. Letting out a scream of pain as a bolder fell on her mid section. "Aragorn help!" she called but he was knocked out and to far "ARAGORN!" she yelled at the top of her lungs he began to get his consciousness back but there was a large Orc coming at him. Gimli saw this and jumped down from the wall, landing in a pool of water he attacked the oncoming Uruks so that Aragorn may get up. This water was causing issued for Aelinaras it was filling up her lungs was people fighting pushed and splashed the water and she was stuck. Aragorn finally saw her and helped her up.

"Are you alright?" he asked she just looked at him. "I think I swallowed Orc blood" she gagged before going to fight again. "Hado i philinn!/Hurl the arrows!" Aragorn called to the elves they did as told "prepare to charge!" he called again. With Aragorn leading them they all elves and men alike attacked. Aelinaras was cornered by four Orc Legolas took a shield and slide down the stairs on it shooting the Orcs surrounding her and then landing on his feet on the ground. Aelinaras smirked at him. "Nice trick" she said before giving him a quick kiss on the cheek and running back into battle. The Uruks continued flowing in from the hole in the wall, but came head on with the men elves and well Gimli. After hours of fighting everyone is getting weary but they won't give in not yet. "Aragorn, pull back to the gate!" Theoden called down from the wall. Aragorn looked at him in the middle of slaying an Orc. "Am Marad!/To the Keep!" Aragorn called pulling Gimli with him who was giving much protest. "Brace the gate!" Gambling ordered to the men for the gate was almost broken. "To the gate! Draw your swords!" Theoden ordered. The king and his men try as hard as they could to defend the breaking gate but it all seemed to be in vain they were still breaking through. "We can't hold much longer." a man said as they lurched forward. "Hold them!" Theoden called sticking a finger in the hold in his armor where he had been stuck with a spear. "How long do you need?" Aragorn asked Legolas Gimli and Aelinaras at his side. "As long as you can give me!" the king said Aragorn nodded. "Gimli" he called as they snuck around the back.

"You’re limping" Legolas said to Aelinaras as he noticed her walk. "A boulder fell on me but I am unharmed" she said as she tried to help hold down the gate. “I know by now not to trust you when you say your fine" he said looking her over. "Really I’m okay" she said tenderly she knew he'd back down and he did. The two elves headed up to the second level as Saruman's army put up more ladders; Legolas tried shooting them off as they climbed while Aelinaras threw daggers. Legolas kicked a ladder down sending many Uruk-hai with it. Aragorn and Gimli continue fighting on the other side while the men were still trying to seal the gate which had many holes broken into them. "Gimli! Aragorn! Get out of there!" Theoden called Legolas jumped on the wall calling to the two and tossed a rope so that they may climb up it. And they did. "Pull everybody back. Pull them back!" the king called as more ladders were raised. "Fall back! Fall back!" Gambling yelled to the men. "They have broken through. The castle is breached! Retreat!" Theoden cried.

At Fort Eorlingas, Uruks try to break through the inner door. Everyone looks helpless and tired. The women and children were cowering in fear. "The fortress is taken. It is over." Theoden muttered.. Aelinaras sat in the back as Legolas tried to get an arrow out of her shoulder she had gotten a few hours ago. "This place had better hold! My men are dead!!!" she yelled at the king as the elf price ripped the arrow out. "You said this fortress would never fall while your men defend it. They still defend it. They have died defending it!" Aragorn yelled as well pacing the room in anger and panic. There was a loud bang at the door. The women and children cowered even more. "Is there no other way for the women and children to get out of the caves?" Aragorn asked. The king didn't answer. "Is there no other way!" he asked again. "There is one passage. It leads into the mountains. But they will not get far. The Uruk-hai are too many." Gambling answered. "Send word for the women and children to make for the mountain pass. And barricade the entrance!" Aragorn order grabbing Gambling shoulder. "So much death. What can men do against such reckless hate?" Theoden mumbled. "You’re giving up! You spineless king your giving u-" Legolas covered the she elf's mouth. The Orcs banged at the door even harder "Ride out with me." Aragorn said to the king. He just looked at the ranger. "Ride out and meet them." Aragorn said again. "For death and glory?" Theoden spoke as if Aragorn had lost it. "For Rohan. For your people." Aragorn said "the tis rising Aragorn....Gandalf" Aelinaras said lowly tired from everything that has happened. Aragorn looked up at the window as the sun was rising. Gandalf voice rang in his head "Look to my coming at first light on the fifth day. At dawn, look to the East.” “Yes. Yes! The horn of Helm Hammerhand shall sound in the deep, one last time." Theoden said "Yes!"Gimli cheered running up to blow the horn. "Let this be the hour when we draw swords together." the king turned to Aragorn. "Fell deeds awake. Now for wrath. Now for ruin. And the red dawn!" he said.