The Fellowship

The Departure of Aelinaras

"Grimbold, how many?" Theoden asked. "I bring five hundred men from the Westfold, my Lord." Grimbold said seeming slightly pleased with himself however Theoden’s face looked like stone."We have three hundred more from Fenmarch." Gamling said. Theoden frowned "Where are the riders from Snowbourn?" he asked Gamling shook his head "none have come" he said darkly. Theoden left with Aragorn to their small yet high camp setup to survey the troops. "Six thousand spears. Less than half of what I'd hoped for." Theoden said. Aragorn looked out at the troops. "Six thousand will not be enough to break the lines of Mordor." he said. "More will come" Theoden said laying a hand on the rangers shoulder. "Every hour lost hastens Gondor's defeat. We have till dawn. Then we must ride." Aragorn said seriously. Aelinaras sat by Eowyn's side fidgeting. Haldir went to sit next to her. "milady?" he asked Aelinaras didn't look at him her eyes were facing Gondor. "That was his home was it not...you feel you must protect it now" Haldir asked her Aelinaras looked at him and he searched her eyes. “Who else will, his brother yes, but he cannot do it alone." she said. "They need us now not by dawn but now" she said. Haldir sighed and got up to help prepare.

"The horses are restless, and the men are quiet." Legolas commented. Aelinaras looked around it was true even Morgurth who was a brave horse, son of Shadowfax, king of all horses was acting differently. "They grow nervous in the shadow of the mountain." Eomir said. "I feel nothing wrong here" Aelinaras commented looking around the mountain sides. "That road there, where does that lead?"Gimli said nodding to an old hollow looking road, it seemed to moan and groan with age and history. "It is the road to the Dimholt; the door under the mountain." Legolas said. Aelinaras looked up at him she was standing fairly close to him. "Why haven't I heard of it?" she asked. He looked down at her. "It was around the time the elves were taken to be made into Orcs.....you were probably..." he started but anger and sadness filled him and he couldn't finish, it ached the very center of his heart to think of one he loved so dearly, being caught in that time. Aelinaras smiled at him. "None who venture there ever return. That mountain is evil." Eomir said quickly changing the subject back. "I don't like it Legolas, come lets go see if we can help elsewhere" Aelinaras said tugging lightly at the elf princes arm, He nodded and followed behind her, letting her lead him by the center of his arm.

Night fell and Aelinaras helped Eowyn get merry ready for war buy fitting him with amour. "There. A true esquire of Rohan." Eowyn said with a bright smile. Merry smiled back."I'm ready!" he said whipping out his small little hobbit sword Eowyn jumped back and Aelinaras jumped in front of her with her own sword out as if they were playing. Merry laughed. "Sorry. It isn't all that dangerous. It's not even sharp." he said looking at his sword. "Well that's no good. You won't kill many Orcs with a blunt blade. Come on! To the smithy, go!" Eowyn said shooing merry out the tent. He left the tent taking practice swings. Eowyn followed laughing. Aelinaras shook her head and smiled at them. "You should not encourage him." Eomir said coldly from his spot at the camp fire. Eowyn turned around and Aelinaras glared. "You should not doubt him." Eowyn said. "I do not doubt his heart, just the reach of his arm." Eomir said chuckling with Gamling and Gima. Aelinaras' glared grew strong he could feel it; turning around Eomir met the back of her hand personally. A red mark began to glow on his face the she elf had slapped him back handedly. "This is why my love will never be granted to you, anyone who wishes to protect can fight, anyone who has someone they love caught in this war can fight!" she hissed before storming off. Eomir touched his face and looked down at his feet.

Latter that night Elrond had came to Aragorn telling him of Arewn’s illness, the dead king and returning the sword that was broken. He was standing in front of that old road readying his horse. Eowyn had heard of what he was doing and confronted him. "Why are you doing this? The war lies to the East. You cannot leave on the eve of battle!" she said furious and panicked. "You cannot abandon the men." she added voice slightly cracking, Aragorn while his face would have normally looked torn and sorry, he looked determined, and he had no regret for what he was doing. "Éowyn…" he started but she cut him off a new rush of bravery flying through the young maidens body.”We need you here." she said. "Why have you come?" Aragorn asked softly as if not hearing her last statement. "Do you not know?" Eowyn asked pointedly."It is but a shadow and a thought that you love. I cannot give you what you seek." he said not an inch of emotion in his voice. Eowyn looked taken back, and water stained her eyes. "I have wished you joy since first I saw you." he added touching her face gently he turned away. False hope filled the young girl’s eyes then she looked sadden as she watch him leave to the road alone. "Just where do you think you're off to?" Gimli said stopping him. "Not this time. This time you must stay, Gimli." he said Gimli nodded his head in a "yeah sure, not" manor. "Have you learned nothing of the stubbornness of dwarves?" Legolas added his mind wandering off as he spoke, Gimli eyed him slightly concerned. "Might as well accept it. We're going with you, laddie." Gimli added. Legolas paused as he remembered what Aelinaras had said that night.

:::Flash Back:::

The she Elf stood looking down on the lower levels at all the troops. Legolas smiled to himself as he approached her. "Milady" he called she didn't turn back to him he frowned slightly and stood next to her. "Man carel le?/ what are you doing?" he asked her. "Thinking" she replied turning to him. "I have to leave, I have seen things, I cannot say if they will come true, but I must leave for Minas Tirith now" she said her eyes looked torn yet het voice told that she knew what she must do. Legolas shook his head. "Not alone" he said taking a step closer to her, he knew of her luck in war, it was not good, he couldn’t live with the thought that she should be harmed, and he could not help her. "She will not be alone" Haldir said coming from behind the elf prince He whirled around and frowned slightly at the older elf before turning back to Aelinaras. "No" he said softly in a voice so low it couldn’t fit a whisper, he cupped her cheek. "stay here with us we leave at dawn" he said almost pleading with her, searching her eyes, but her will was unmoving "the time before then and now is great, under the heavy attacks of Minas Morgul...they need help...now" Aelinaras said, something in the princes eyes made her heart break, but she couldn’t bend, she owed it to Boromir to protect his land, his family. Glancing down at Boromir’s family ring her heart ached, it was her family too. Legolas frowned she was danger prone and he was sure she'd get hurt, Haldir was a skilled warrior but, he didn't trust him with the she elf's life. "lû vin achenitham?/ will we see each other again?" he asked her never looking away from her eyes, he knew that her connection with Gondor was tied by the death of Boromir, that’s something that she’s not back down to. Aelinaras was taken aback by this question "of course, why wouldn't we?" she cooed running her hand from him face back into his fair blonde hair. He smiled forlornly, he was just buying time, he didn’t want to let her go, he wanted to pick her up in his arms and run, run as fast as he could to the grey ships, out of this war, to be with her, and live out their unending lives. "Avo 'osto/ fear not" she whispered soothingly stroking his hair, he hugged her. "Hebo estel/ have hope" she added he pulled away but still held her hands. “it’s nearing the end...this war is not Sauron’s to win" she added the elf prince nodded and walked away.

::::End Of Flash Back::::

Aelinaras packed her things, and readied Morgurth, the beautiful black steed nudged his rider’s side gently and whinnied feeling her uneasiness. "Aelinaras, you too?" Eowyn's voice chimed in the she elf sighed and turned around. "Aye" she said Eowyn's eye filled with tears. "Then take me with you, you take me with you! I can fight I can help" she said running up to her falling to her knees. "No Eowyn, it is not you time" Aelinaras said with a week smile, she walked over to the kneeling girl "I am tired of hearing that when will it be my time, when will I fight!" she yelled angered still on the ground the shield maiden found she could not look the she elf in the eye. "when the last hope falls and what the future holds is not in sight, when kings cry, and best are slain, when the field is calm and you are unseen, Eowyn accept that valor comes without recognition and then you will have your time" the she elf said Eowyn cried. "It’s not fair you cannot leave to who will give us hope now" she said Aelinaras laid a hand on her shoulder. "You will" she whispered she made the young girl look at her, helping her to her feet. "You will." she said again Eowyn searched Aelinaras’ eyes and nodded slowly. Sniffling she regained herself Aelinaras then slipped her sword Oden into the maiden’s hands Eowyn looked at her in shock. "Your time will come" Aelinaras whispered Haldir rode up on his horse ready to leave. Aelinaras saddled Morgoth and got on him. She rode away a little Eowyn ran after her "wait!" she called. "Ná Elbereth veria le, ná elenath dín síla erin rád o chuil lín./May Elbereth protect you, may her stars shine on the path of your life." Aelinaras called back Eowyn nodded and smiled holding back tears "you are a sister to the flame of Ambar (fate), peace be with you child" Aelinaras added. Eowyn griped oden tighter "Noro go hûl, bado go Eru/ Ride with the wind , go with god!" Eowyn called as the she elf and Haldir rode off Her elvish was rocky but Aelinaras understood it all the same. The maiden watch them until they were out of site. She and the She elf, were friends, no dare say more than friends, they were now sisters and Eowyn new deep in her core her time was coming, and she would be ready.