The Fellowship

Minas Tirith

Aelinaras rode along side Haldir starring ahead at the horizon as they made for Gondor. The wind blew lightly at the She elf’s fiery red hair her eyes fluttered as she watched the night sky and the darkness ahead. Her eyes stung with water that she tried so desperately to ignore. “Milady?” Haldir called to her she glanced at him quickly but kept gazing ahead “yes my friend?” she asked “what is burdening you” He asked ridding a bit closer. “ I’m being to feel that I shall not come out of this” she said as more water filled her eyes “and if I do what then shall be left of me” she said gazing into her long time friend and companions eyes. Haldir sighed and looked ahead “you will come through…you have come this far there is no turning back, You will go to the grey havens with the rest of us” Haldir said Aelinaras smiled bitterly. “and what then…my time here is over” she said her eyes fluttering trying to keep the tears at bay “this world will have nothing left for me….I’ve been through the fires and the storms…I have nothing left to pull out of me” she muttered. Haldir fell silent. “I will follow you to whatever end” he said looking ahead Aelinaras smiled faintly “no…you’ve got two you must return to” she said. Haldir sighed heavily “one” he said Aelinaras looked up at him in shock “she left me…my heart was no longer hers” he said Morgoth snorted and whinnied Aelinaras not knowing how to reply stayed silent.

Aelinaras and Haldir traveled as if the ground was crumbling behind them at a fierce rate. The sky began to turn a dusty blue the sun was going to rise soon. A fell beast’s screech rang through Aelinaras’ ears she flinched and turned to Haldir wide eyed and panicked. “Did you hear that?!” she asked Haldir shook his head “we must hurry we ride for Osgiliath come now Morgoth ride!” she called tugging lightly at the horses hair her took off at a faster speed, Haldir following not far behind her. At Osgiliath Orcs upon Orcs raided the area swarming upon the men like bees taking out anyone who dare tried to stop them. Faramir fled to an Alcove “Faramir!” Madril a fellow scout and friend to Faramir called, Faramir stopped to look for him but didn’t notice the Orcs running at him. A small troop of archers quickly shot the Orcs down. "We can't hold them! The city is lost." Madril said to Faramir as he walked over. The two keeping eyes on the battle they were in the middle of. Faramir looked around at his men and how they were being picked off "Tell the men to break cover. We ride to Minas Tirith." Faramir said turning back to face Madril who nodded and ran off. A cry pierced into the men’s hearts one so horrid it could take down an Elephant; “Nazgul!” a solider cried “take cover!” cried another. “Pull back! Pull back to Minas Tirith!" Faramir called out to his men, quickly without wasting any time the solider began to flee the area. As Madril went to run an Orc knocked him to the ground wounding him.

Aelinaras could see the battle from a distance now the sun had risen, she and Haldir were only a short ways away from Osgiliath. “We’re too late” She muttered seeing all the soldiers fleeing the area on foot and by horse. “We can help them get safe passage back to Minas Tirith” Haldir said Aelinaras nodded and the two headed for the hoard of men. Another cry shook the air. Nazgul were trailing the soldier who were now not far from Minas Tirith’s gates. One swooped down and picked a solider off his horse and then dropped him to the ground. “No!” Aelinaras cried pulling out her bow she shot at the creatures while riding, sending enchanted fire arrows “it’s a witch!” one man called Haldir rolled his eyes and shot at the fell beasts himself as well. A Nazgul swooped over Aelinaras head she ducked just in time her heart pounding in her chest. “Milady!” Haldir called “I’m alright keep at them these soldiers must get to the gates!” Aelinaras called riding ahead of Haldir some so that she could get the Nazgul further ahead. "It's the White Rider!" A solider called Aelinaras looked up to see Gandalf on Shadowfax Gandalf used white magic lifting his staff high into the air a blinding white light emitted from his staff, driving the Nazgul away, the men cheered. Aelinaras doubled back to the back of the hoard of solider serving with Haldir as guards in case the beasts came back. “Your shoulder” Haldir said Aelinaras looked down at her left shoulder “I thought I missed the beast’s claws” she thought. “You need it treated” Haldir added “in due time” she murmured. The Gates to Minas Tirith opened and everyone pilled in.

"Mithrandir! They broke our defenses. They've taken the bridge and the West bank. Battalions of Orcs are crossing the river." Faramir called emerging through the crowd of soldiers, riding up to Gandalf. "It is as Lord Denethor predicted! Long has he foreseen this doom!" Irolas one of the soldiers and also a friend to Faramir added in. Aelinaras looked around at the soldiers as she searched for Gandalf. They looked so beaten and worn down “Aragorn….hurry, they’ve not much left” She thought looking up at the sky, the men looked at her and Haldir wearily but she smiled and nodded as she past by showing she was a friend and they returned the gesture. “Foreseen and done nothing!” Gandalf Barked Aelinaras heard his voice and smile heading in that direction through the crowd. Gandalf turned his horse around to face Faramir, whose eyes grew wide and his face in shock as he stared at the slightly embarrassed Pippin. Gandalf looked down at pippin and then back up to Faramir. “Faramir? This is not the First Halfling to have crossed your path?” He asked. Faramir looked down at Pippin and shook his head slightly “no” He breathed looking up at Gandalf. “You’ve seen Frodo and Sam!” Pippin said happily. “Frodo!” Aelinaras voice called at the same moment Gandalf said “were when?” Everyone looked up at the She elf; she was slightly beaten but was the fairest sight they had seen in a while. “Aelinaras!” Pippin said with a large grin. “pip!” She said with a slight laugh Gandalf smiled at her. Faramir turned around to face her on his horse. Aelinaras drew in a sharp breath and stayed quiet, biting her tongue as Boromir’s face flashed threw her mind. “Faramir, this is Aelinaras Lady of the Haven Wood, and Haldir of Lorien” Gandalf said. Faramir nodded his head at them in a bowing manner her eyes drifted to Boromir’s family ring that Aelinaras wore on her wedding finger, she covered it with her other hand and looked off. “You’ve seen Frodo is he alright and Sam” she asked quickly. “When did you see them?” Gandalf asked “in Ithilien….not two days ago, Gandalf, they’re taking the road to the Morgul Vale” Faramir said tearing his eyes away from Aelinaras’ ring. The she elf’s heart stop “And then the pass of Cirith Ungol” Gandalf said darkly. Aelinaras said a silent prayer as did Haldir Pippin looked around franticly “what does that mean!?” he asked. Aelinaras looked at him and gave him a weak smile trying to calm him but it failed. “Faramir tell me everything….tell me all you know” Gandalf said urgently.

Faramir stood before Denethor in the Citadel, Denethor looked very displeased “is this how you would serve your city” he asked looking sternly at Faramir who all but quivered under his gaze “you would risk it’s utter ruin” he added Aelinaras slid into the room quietly and unseen she stood behind one of the great stone pillars once she saw she was interrupting she hid, for reason un known to her. “I did what I judged to be right” Faramir said in his defense. “What you judged to be right?” Denethor said bitterly Faramir drew in a nervous breath “You sent the Ring of Power into Mordor in the hands of a Witless Halfling!” he said Aelinaras blood boiled “if you want witless look in the mirror” she thought but went back to listening. “It should have been brought back to the Citadel to be kept safe. Hidden, dark and deep in the vaults, not to be used, unless at the uttermost…end of need” Denethor continued on. “I would not use the ring. Not if Minas Tirith were falling to ruin and I alone could save her” Faramir said trying to stand up to his father. Aelinaras smiled to herself maybe it was because he was his brother…but she had felt proud. “Ever you desire to appear lordly and gracious like the kings of old. Boromir would have remembered his father’s need, He would have brought me a kingly gift” Denethor said Aelinaras frowned “that’s not fair” She thought looking down at Boromir’s ring. “Boromir would not have brought you the ring.” Faramir said remembering his talk with Aelinaras when they entered the castle after they had finished discussing Frodo and the ring; He had asked her and pippin of Boromir’s death. “He would have stretched out his hand to this thing…he would have taken it” he said his voice faltering some. Aelinaras’ heart fell heavy. Denethor jumped up to his feet in anger. Aelinaras alerted herself. “You know nothing of this matter!” He barked. “He would have kept it for his own! And when he returned….you would not know your son!” Faramir lashed back but tamer. Denethor frowned “Boromir was loyal to me! Not some Wizards pupil!” he barked back before falling to his knees as he wept. Faramir timidly walked over to his father said “father?” he asked “my son” Denethor said in a daze he smiled with teary eyes looking past Faramir to an illusion his mind had created of Boromir, Boromir smiled at him and then faded away, Denethor was left looking at Faramir be became bitter and angry yet again. Faramir gazed at his father blankly his eyes somewhat watery. “Leave me!” Denethor barked Faramir looked taken back, but left the hall.

Aelinaras watched him pass and exit before silently and unseemly fallowed after him. “Faramir!” She called running after him as he was walking quickly. He stopped and turned to face her she jogged to a stop and sighed shaking her head before looking back at the doors to the hall. “he doesn’t mean it…no parent ever does” she said Faramir’s eyes fluttered “Half my life…it’s been like this” he said Aelinaras shook her head “trust me He doesn’t know of what he is doing” she said, Slipping off Boromir’s ring she looked down at it Hesitantly and walked over to him. Taking his hand she slipped the ring on his finger “you are every bit as Noble as your brother, your loyalty as a son can be seen by all here” She said as he looked down at the ring “Be your own, Faramir” she sighed he looked up at her “you have your own path, stop trailing in your brothers…you’ve got your own light and greatness to shine, he will see it before the end” She said. Faramir looked into the She elf’s jade eyes “I can’t take this from you” he said going to take off the ring “Boromir is mine to hold here” She said resting a hand on her heart. “And as this ring as a gift…I’m gifting it to one who needs it more than I” She said. Faramir nodded Aelinaras smiled a small smile and slowly hugged Faramir around the neck. Biting her lip holding back the tears in her eyes Faramir paused but returned the hug holding her their “you-” she started “look so much like him” she nodded with a light sniff she pulled away and recomposed herself “but…” she said looking up at him “what you said back there….he could have never…” she stopped “you have strength he did not, and this kingdom thanks you for it in these stone walls could talk” she said Faramir smiled and gazed at Aelinaras’ gashed shoulder “you should go get that treated" he said slightly taken back by the wound. Aelinaras nodded and went to head off. Faramir watched her depart sighing to himself and smiling a bit.

Aelinaras sat on a chair as Haldir bandaged her shoulder “are you alright” He asked timidly she nodded and smiled “I am fine” she said He gave a half hearted one looking off out of the window at the darkness of Mordor. He sighed “we’re in knee deep” She said resting a hand over his “you can go back, and catch the grey ships” She said He looked her in her eyes as if searching for something “go back to your son…” she added he continued to search her eyes and smiled softly “I can’t leave you, you don’t last five minutes in without me” He said. Aelinaras smiled “I’ve fought alongside you in many petty battles….I will not abandon you through the real thing” He said Aelinaras smiled “thank you” she whispered. “Where are Theoden’s riders?” A solider asked Gandalf as he and a few men gazed at the Osgiliath ruins that the Orcs had taken captive. “Will Rohan’s army come? Mithrandir?” Another asked. Gandalf kept walking “courage is the best defense you will have now” he said dryly.