The Fellowship

Before The Storm

Aelinaras sat with Pippin outside the hall of kings talking. “Don’t you look right stunning” she said referring to his new armor. Pippin blushed and smiled up at her. He looked up at her “what was I thinking? What can a hobbit offer as service to such a great king?” He asked “that was well done” Faramir spoke as Aelinaras went to speak. She turned around to look at him he glanced at her with a smile before looking back down at pippin. Pippin stood up as Faramir got closer. “A Generous deed should not be checked with cold counsel, you are to join the tower guard” Faramir said Aelinaras smiled down at pippin. “I didn’t think they would find any livery that would fit me” Pippin said with a half hearted laugh. “It once belonged to a young boy of the city. A very foolish one who wasted many hours Slaying dragons instead of attending studies” Faramir said with a slightly fond smile, Aelinaras giggled a bit “this was yours?!” Pippin gasped. “Yes it was mine. My father had it made for me” Faramir said Pippin nodded and smiled a bit “well…..I’m taller than you were then, although I’m not likely to grow anymore, except sideways” he said Aelinaras laughed out loud causing the other two to laugh as well. “pip” she said through her laughs. “It never fit me either. Boromir was always the soldier, they were so alike….he and my father” He said Aelinaras looked down. “Proud. Stubborn even….but strong” He said Aelinaras leered at him and bumped him to the side a bit with her hip shaking her head. He gave her a week smile. “I think you have strength of a different kind….and one day your father will see it” Pippin said. Aelinaras smirked at Faramir.

Aelinaras walked through the city of Minas Tirith, Denethor had told her no women were allowed to witness the Knighting. She rounded a corner angrily “whoa!” Haldir called having her run into him. “I am sorry I wasn’t-” she started but Haldir hushed her. “It’s alright…I know where your mind goes….you’re mad” He asked. Aelinaras huffed “these people…nay this race of men…they look down so much on their females…it’s distasteful” she spat looking up at him He nodded “you’ve not noticed this before?” He asked walking with her. Aelinaras shook her head “I mean Aragorn’s not like that…nor was Boromir….Eomir…was in a way, but he looked down on many things.” Aelinaras said stopping she gazed at the land leaning on the great wall, from that height she could almost see everything. “Ah but you must enter their world to see all about them” He said. Aelinaras sighed eyeing Osgiliath. “that place was an important strong hold…” she muttered Haldir followed her gaze and sighed “it’s not your fault…even if you had made it in time…no one could take on so many Orc and shield…not with so few Able fighters to help” He added. “I’ve not been able to make any connection with Frodo for days now” she added. She gave a long tired sigh “I’m worried” she said Haldir eyed her and then gave her a stern look “no you’re exhausted…you’re putting too much into the others…they can hold their own…you need to rest” He said trying to lead her away to her room back inside the castle “I am fine…and there isn’t rest anymore for anyone…not this far into the storm” she said, “then humor me” Haldir said sarcastically leading her away.

Frodo and Sam followed Gollum up the step pathway made of worn stone stairs up the mountain side. Frodo tired from the long road, was having a hard time getting up the ledge. Gollum looked down at the hobbits struggling leering at them; they were not paying him any attention at the time. “Careful Master!” He called down to Frodo “Very far to fall, Very dangerous on the stair” He said Frodo looked up at him, not knowing if he should trust him or not as Gollum held out his hand “Come master…come to Smeagol!” Gollum said happily. But his eyes got caught on the Ring; he began to reach at Frodo instead of for him, no now he wanted the ring. Frodo’s bracelet given to him by Aelinaras began to burn his wrist slightly as a warning. “Mister Frodo!” Sam called seeing deceit in Gollum’s eyes he drew his sword “Get back, you! Don’t touch him!” He called out. Gollum snapped out of his trance and grabbed Frodo’s arm pulling onto the ledge. He sneered at Sam before giving a sad face. “Why does he hates poor Smeagol? What has Sméagol ever done to him?” Gollum whined. As Sam struggles to get up on the ledge himself Gollum pulled Frodo aside. The bracelet began to burn more. Frodo gazed at it as its red gems began to glow lightly “master” Gollum said laying a hand on Frodo’s shoulder, Frodo jumped slightly but looked back at Gollum seeming slightly scared “Master carried a heavy burden, Smeagol knows, heavy heavy burden. Fat one cannot know, let Smeagol look after master” He said, Frodo looked at him blankly, the Bracelet burning him even more. “He wants it…he needs it, Smeagol sees it in his eyes” Gollum whispered to Frodo, Frodo looked at him shocked and then winced as the bracelet was now burning him rather badly. “Very soon he will ask you for it…you will see! The fat one will take it from you” he added. Frodo looked over at Sam who had just climbed onto the ledge and then at the bracelet. “Whom do I believe?” He thought.

Haldir and Aelinaras sat outside of the Kings hall talking it was the quietest place and they were talking about serious things. “So tell me, why has the bond between you and Isildwen gone?” Aelinaras asked him. Haldir sighed “my heart was no longer for hers, and her for mine” He said. “Why to whom did you give yours” She asked confused. “Was it Alahbir? You know that wench lays with any elf” She said bitterly Haldir laughed “ I had hoped you thought me better than that sort” He said Aelinaras smiled Sheepishly “No this she elf is a friend…she-” He started has Faramir walked by them his head hung low, Pippin came running out of the Kings hall shortly after him. Pippin saw Aelinaras and ran to her side he tugged lightly at her sleeve “Aelinaras, you must stop him; he’s going to try to take back Osgiliath!” Pippin said Aelinaras stood up and looked at Faramir was he walked “Faramir!” She called sternly He stopped but did not look back at her “this is madness what would posses you?” She asked. “I must do what I can in Boromir’s sted” He said tiredly “Denethor asked this of you?” She asked taking a step forward “you cannot go out there you and your men. Your men trust you to keep them safe…you all will die” She added. “An Honorable death, to die for our city” He said. Aelinaras pointed at the Doors to the Kings hall “that man in the throne is Mad!” she yelled “and he is not this cities king! She belongs to a greater leader; Minas Tirith will fall under his reign! Her king is returning….he would not ask you of this” Aelinaras called as Faramir began to walk again. Aelinaras looked down at Haldir distraught before running after Faramir she ran in front of him blocking his path. “Boromir wouldn’t want this of you, Denethor…blinded he is now but trust me he does not want this of you….”She said looking him in the eyes. “It is my choice” He said. “to lead all those men to death…to lead yourself there….to see all those mothers, wives, and children suffer at their loss…to see your father suffer from yours” She replied lowly. Faramir brushed past her and kept walking. “I lost your brother, and all he wanted was a life were you and Denethor could live at piece….to see the city in its glory…a future for his home…without you his vision will go to ruin!” she called after him. “Don’t do that to him!” she called He stopped “and don’t do it to yourself” she added in a softer tone. There was a long pause “I’m sorry” Faramir said before walking off. Aelinaras turned back to look at Pippin who just shook his head. Haldir walked up to Aelinaras and embraced her resting his chin on top of her head. “He will see it before the end…he will see, he’s life is not your burden to bare…I know he feels like your own brother….” He said Aelinaras sighed. “Anno ho poldora/ Give him Strength” she said tiredly “you’ll need it as well” Haldir thought rocking her slightly.

Aelinaras walked the streets of Minas Tirith still in mild distraught she stopped at the peak of the great city, looking past the taken Osgilith, and out toward the mountains. Leaning on the wall she let out a heavy sigh. The wind swirled around her gently picking up her auburn waves and places them back down carelessly. Frowning Aelinaras looked to the sky “brother…I need your leadership now more than ever” she thought, as image of an rather rouge looking elf with fiery red hair and olive green eyes flashed in her mind, he smiled at her lightheartedly before vanishing. Aelinaras rested her head on the wall. “I cannot stop him…his will is about as stubborn as that of your own…what would you have me do” she thought gazing up at the sky yet again, her eyes searched it not for her brother but for “Boromir?” she spoke softly wanting anything some form of sign some kind of guidance from someone, anyone. A troubling vision came to her mind of Frodo and Sam, she saw the gangly Gollum sprinkling bread crumbs over Sam from there the scene flashed to Frodo and Sam have a slight standoff of words, Sam fell to the ground in sorrow, weeping, and then Gollum’s evil sneer flashed though her mind. The Vision faded and the She elf fell to the ground, a feeling passed through her body as if something within her had been severed in two, she groaned in slight pain staring at her hands that lay against the cold pavement, panting slightly. “Aelinaras?” Faramir’s voice called in confusion, as he saw that she didn’t respond he walked closer to her, “Aelinaras?” he called again, she did not answer, her body shook lightly, an meager trembling, “Aelinaras!” He called again running to her, he knelt down at her side. The she elf gazed down at her hands with wide eyes as she felt it hard to breath. Faramir’s eyes darted around her body, but he could find no wound. He gathered her up in his arms and made for the castle halls He had to find Gandalf.

Haldir sat in his room which he was to share with Aelinaras he gazed out the window, “Haldir!” Pippin called franticly bursting through the Elf’s door. Haldir stood up at once advancing towards Pippin “what is it Halfling, what’s wrong?” He asked the Elf’s heart began to beat faster yet his face remained calm. “A-Aelinaras” Pippin managed, “go, take me there” Haldir commanded with urgency, Pippin nodded and scurried down the long halls. Faramir stood behind Gandalf whom hovered over Aelinaras. She had blacked out from lack of air. “I see no wound of flesh or of her mind” Gandalf said puzzled. Haldir burst through the door; he had lost all composer as he flew to Aelinaras’ side. He traced his hand through her hair and looked over her “what happened?” He asked. Faramir shook his head, “we do not know” Gandalf said placing a wet cloth over her brow. “ I found her, in the courtyard, kneeling, she wasn’t responding, but she was awake then” Faramir said. Haldir leaned over her and kissed her nose. “No ce ammaer ab luthent / My you be better soon” he uttered softly. Pippin ran to Aelinaras’ side “what are we going to do?” He asked looking between the others. Haldir opened his eyes and leered down at Aelinaras. “Goheno nin / Forgive me” Haldir muttered before jamming his palm down on her heart with great power, Aelinaras’ eyes shot open and she screamed but know sound came out as her body jumped to an upright position. He panted “what happened?” she asked with some trouble. Pippin leapt up onto the bed she had been resting on and hugged her “we thought you could tell us” Gandalf said. Aelinaras thought for a moment and frowned “I lost spiritual contact with Frodo…and the others as well” she said with a sigh “I put so much of myself into that bracelet…too much, and it’s taking too much to keep him at safe passage” She added. Haldir leered at her “I thought as much, your grandmother told you not to use that unless in the utter most need” He hissed “and this is not?” she asked back. Aelinaras sat Pippin down and got off the bed “thank you all but I am fine now.” She said with a light smile, before walking out of the room.