The Fellowship

The Diversion

Legolas sat on the ground holding an exhausted Aelinaras in his arms, her eyes fixed upon the rays of sun that had broke through the clouds to shine down on the field of victory. “It’s done….rest now…. It is done” Legolas said soothingly, Tears slipped out of the She elf’s eyes, this battle was over yes…but a much larger one had yet to come, and she knew she had nothing left to give. She began to cry to the point her body shook up and down as she lay with her head rested in the Princes lap, facing the sky. He looked down at her painfully. It was Silent, nothing moved flags blew in the wind and the moans of the wounded where all that made sound. The King of the Dead approached Aragorn, his vast company behind him “Release us” The Dead King Stated “Bad idea” Gimli chimed in. “very handy in a tight spot, this lads, despite the fact they’re dead” Gimli added in. “you gave us your word!” The dead king kissed to Aragorn. “I hold your oath fulfilled…go….be at pace” Aragorn said tranquilly The Dead King looked at peace, as he and his army blew away with the light just of wind, finally ashes to ashes, and dust to dust. Gandalf approached Aragorn, and bowed his head, Aragorn formally known as Strider, was now Aragorn King of Gondor.

Nightfell “Someone please stop her!” Eowyn called limping out of the infirmary with Faramir following behind her. “She is ill.. She is very ill…but she’s wanted to go out onto the fields…please some one!” Eowyn cried out chasing after an irritated Aelinaras. “I’m faring better than the both of you, you need to be back in the bed” The she elf said as calmly as she could. Faramir jogged ahead and blocked her path. “Please, Eowyn is right…you are not well…You need rest as much as we do” He said Eowyn stopped and Smiled at him, but Aelinaras leered at him “move aside, Faramir..I must go retrieve Haldirs body, and Merry & Pippin are still out there.” The she elf barked, Faramir looked down he hadn’t know Haldir was dead, he stood to the side. “No…no what are you doing?” Eowyn called as she began to run after Aelinaras, Faramir grabbed the shield maiden’s arm and brought her close to him “let her go” He said softly. Aelinaras wandered the field in the dead of night, her elven eyes scanning through the blackness. “Aelinaras!” Pippin’s voice called, she followed it, he sat next to merry who was covered with a cloak. Pippin hugged her tightly “Merry’s hurt” He stated Aelinaras knelt down and stroked Merry’s hair. “hey there little Brandybuck” she said softly, He looked at her and smiled, She took him into her arms effortlessly before kneeling down “hope on” she said to pippin, whom got on her back, Aelinaras stood up and headed back to the city, she stopped in her tracks and looked back to the field, she had to leave him there…but at least the hobbits where safe. “Aelinaras……” Pippin said understanding right away what must have happened. “Don’t be sorry, pip….such is battle” She said darkly before continuing on her way.

Once both Hobbits where in the Infirmary, Aelinaras found herself in the courtyard, gazing at the white tree, and on it was a single white bloom. Bitter tears fell from her face “it would seem these days all I do is cry” she thought to herself. She heard footsteps behind her, “I heard…” Aragorn voice called, Aelinaras kept her gaze on the tree. “I’m sorry, I can’t help but feel it’s partly my fault” he added with a long sigh as he sat next to her on the ground. “Don’t…you’ve not control over such things…they just happened” She said Aragorn looked at his hands “If I had accepted who I was long ago…it’s possible all of this could have been avoided.” He stated darkly Aelinaras looked at him “no…what has happened…or most of it, would have taken coarse either way” The she elf said whipping her tears away. “In a way I am thankful…I’ve got friends whom’s love I shall have forever…I found love that was a pure as the white shores…Even if it brought me pain…never would I ask to take it back.” She said looking Aragorn in the eyes he smiled sadly and nodded as his mind took him to Arwen “I can understand that…” He said holding out his hand He took Aelinaras’ hand and dropped a small metal item in it. “B-Boromir’s ring…but I gave it to” She stammered, “Faramir said it was his to give to one whom needs it more” Aragorn replied Aelinaras laughed slightly as her own words where thrown back at her, but the laughter turned into tears as she held the ring to her heart. Aragorn embraced her and rocked her slightly. Quietly Legolas stepped on the scene; he tapped Aragorn shoulder and swiftly took his place. Aelinaras looked up at the Prince; he seemed to glow under the light of the moon. His hair was not bound and framed his face as he looked down upon her, his eyes glistened like the stars, they were sad. “What I would give, to see you smile…just one last time, with honesty and pure joy” He said softly Aelinaras looked to the side. “That is what I fight for, Middle Earth…it could fall to ruin, and my heart would still be at peace…if you smiled a pure smile just one last time” He said, his eyes searched into Aelinaras’ saddened they were but very serious. “Legolas…” She murmured entrapped by his celestial appearance under the moonlight.

Legolas walked through the halls with a sleeping Aelinaras in his arms, He took her to his rooms and nested her in his bed before he himself headed to a chair and pulled it next to the bed where he fell asleep. That morning the original party gathered in the Throne room of Minas Tirith. “Frodo has passed beyond my site” Gandalf sighed. Aelinaras fidgeted “I lost connection with him long ago…” she confessed her heart felt heavy. “the darkness is deepening” Gandalf added, the room was soundless and still, “If Sauron had the ring we would know it” Aragorn said a plan devising in his mind, Aelinaras gazed at him intently She got up from her seat and stood in front of Aragorn, whom looked her in the eye. “It’s only a matter of time” Gandalf said. “He has suffered a defeat yes, but behind the gates of Mordor the enemy’s armies are regrouping.” Gandalf stated “let him stay there…let him rot!” Gimli called from the Steward throne puffing on his pipe. “Why should we care” He added. “Because ten thousand Orcs now stand between Frodo and mount doom” Aelinaras said never taking eyes away from Aragorn’s they both new what had to be done “I’ve sent him to his death” Gandalf sighed with a cloud of guilt on his heart. Aragorn looked at Aelinaras and nodded “No” he said turning to Gandalf, “There is still hope for Frodo, He just needs time and safe passage across the plans of Gorogorth” Aragorn said with determination is his eyes. “we can give him that” He added, Gimli looked perplexed “how?” he asked “Draw out Sauron’s armies” Aelinaras said walking to Aragorn’s side “Yes, We will empty his lands, we gather our full strength and march on the black gate” Aragorn added. “We cannot achieve victory through strength of arm” Eomir said and it was true, they had very few soldiers left. “Not for ourselves but we can give Frodo a chance if we keep Sauron’s eyes fixed upon us” Aragorn replied. Aelinaras smirked “keep him blind to all else that moves” Legolas Nodded “A diversion” Legolas muttered. “Certainty of death, Small chance of success….what are we waiting for?” Gimli asked pleased with the idea. “Sauron will suspect a trap he will not take the bait” Gandalf advised. A Mischievous smile came across Aragorn’s face “oh…I think he will” He said.

Aelinaras was in her room getting dressed in her armor, she cringed as the pain in her stomach returned, it felt as if something was ripping her organs apart, little daggers stripping the flesh away. “You cannot go” Eowyn’s voice called, it was cracking slight Aelinaras jumped and turned around “If you do….you’ll not return, I feel it….you are ill…your body is giving way on you” Eowyn’s eyes started to tear up as she spoke. “I cannot lose someone else…I refuse to” She added, Aelinaras sighed heavily “this is my purpose…Eowyn…If I do not go…my life, means nothing anyway” Aelinaras said with a small smile. Eowyn watched the she elf walked past her to the door, where Faramir stood, “take care of her” Aelinaras said with a knowing smile, He too held tears in his eyes but he nodded none the less as he hugged her “I’m glad to have known you as my sister…if…if you shall not return…tell me brother…” He started but he could not finish the thought, Aelinaras nodded before taking her leave. “Legolas rode side by side with Aragorn, sharing a horse with Aelinaras, Gandalf & Pippin where on the Opposite side of Aragorn whom rode with Gimli. Aelinaras smiled with pride at Aragorn, he was truly a king now as he led the host of men from the west to Mordor. Legolas’ grip was tight around Aelinaras waste, It wasn’t fear or was it anticipation..it was an unknown feeling, a uncertainty of what was to come. “Be at peace, Legolas…” Aelinaras said, her voice was weak and it was evident she was tired, yet still in her voice held a strong will. Legolas smiled and put his face in her hair “but I am at peace… right here” He said lowly smiling into her hair. Aragorn’s troops reached the Black Gates. The air became tense, Aelinaras held her breath, and groaned as the pain came back from her abdomen; Legolas glanced at her with apprehension.

“Where are they?” Pippin asked Aragorn lead his horse to the gate, Legolas, Gandalf, and Eomir followed. “Let the lord of the Black Land come forth! Let justice be done upon him!” Aragorn called out to the Black Gate. Not long after Aragorn spoke, the gate began to open, out came a single rider, Legolas’ face paled on a dark horse, covered in armor only his chin could be seen, his helmet made him faceless. His mouth was hideous and his teeth long and yellow and he was ginning in amusement. Yet Aelinaras felt a family air about this rider, something that tugged at her very core “faceless…” She thought, as memories flooded back into her mind, or her capture and her brother whom gave this life that she may be free. “H-his face had been burned…” She muttered, Legolas looked down at her “what?” he whispered to her. “T-That thing…that thing is my brother…Arbellason…” She said softly The Rider look to her and sneered, “Brother!” She called louder, Legolas glared at the rider “you ignore your sister’s cries” He called. “I have no sister…” He said darkly laughed, Aelinaras looked shocked but in her sadness she found resolve “no..no that’s not my brother…not anymore, he died in the torture chambers…that there is an Orc…” She muttered. Legolas squeezed her waist. “My master, Sauron the Great, bids you welcome.” He said “Is there any is this rout worth to treat with me” Arbellason known now as the Mouth of Sauron said in amusement. “We do not come to treat with Sauron, faithless and accursed. Tell your mast this: The armies of Mordor must disband. He is to depart these lands, never return.” Gandalf spoke his voice was stern and menacing. “Old Greybread, I have a token to bid to thee” The Mouth Of Sauron said with a chuckled. “He held up Frodo’s glistening methril shirt. “Frodo!” Pippin cried. “You…you…*******!” Aelinaras cried out ready to lung off of the horse. Legolas grabbed her waist pulling her closer to him as tight as he could while she fought against him, wanting to charge the Dog of Sauron. The Mouth Of Sauron threw the shirt at Gandalf, whom caught it and looked it over in disbelief. “Frodo!” Pippin called gain, Merry eyed the shirt in horror form behind Eomir “no!” He called. “Silence!” Gandalf yelled above them all, Aelinaras closed her eyes, as hate built up within her, opening them, she leered that the monster on the horse, her eyes wishing much for than death upon him. “The halfling was dear to thee, I see. Know that he suffered greatly at the hands of his host. Who would've thought one so small could endure so much pain? And he did, Gandalf. He did." The Mouth said Aelinaras reached for her bow “Aragorn slay him now! Please…shut him up!” She pleaded yelling through tears, her voice cracked, Legolas still had a sturdy grip on her. As the Foul creature laughed Aragorn road to its side heedlessly. "And who is this? Isildur's heir? It takes more to make a king than a broken Elvish blade." It continued to laugh. Aragorn looked calm yet on the inside he was on fire, anger boiled rapidly in his soul, he had had enough. Aragorn raised his sword, with one swift, firm swing, he cut clean through The Mouths neck, ending him. "I guess that concludes negotiations." Gimli said sarcastically, Aelinaras looked at the Mouth dead body. It still lingered din her mind, that that was her brother. “my whole life it seems, I’ve caused nothing but death…does it follow me…” She thought, Legolas put a hand in her hair “No..death follows all…you, Milady are one of the most blessed creatures I’ve seen…you’d not cause any death, but bring life into every soul you touch” Legolas said starting up an connection with her. Aelinaras stayed slightly but nodded. "I do not believe it. I will not." Aragorn said riding up alongside Aelinaras “nor will you..” He said sternly as her face was still wrung with tears. A spine tingling whine came from the Black Gates as they swayed open, they revealed the entirety of Sauron’s remaining army, marching for Aragorn’s troops. The Great eye from its perch in Barad-dum had its gaze now fixated on Aragorn. “pull back! Pull Back!” Aragorn called to his friends as they headed back to the army.