The Fellowship

To Mirkwood

Aelinaras was out in the cities second level, Eowyn had sent Eomir to watch her while she was unable to. “You sister acts like I’m going to kill over” the she elf mumbled as she walked through the regrouping city “with your reputation and health, I cannot say I blame her…” Eomir chimed in with a short laugh Aelinaras shook her head. Her eyes glanced at the variety of small shops, most selling handmade trinkets, or fresh fruits. “What are you looking for?” Eomir asked, Aelinaras flushed a bit “I wanted so by something for the baby…” she smiled to herself “I want him to have something, so that he will always remember who is truly is…a man of Gondor, just like his father…” She said trailing off, caressing Boromir’s ring “I supposed I shall pass this onto him one day” she said with a smiled holding the ring up to the light. “But he will be too small for it for quite some time…plus if I do not survive, I want a gift to give him that is from his mothers heart” The she elf said scanning the shops. Eomir nodded “you’ll pull through do not worry” He said offering a smile. Aelinaras rounded a corner and then she saw it, a Necklace of the White three a symbol that was imprinted on the armor of the Gondorian Knights. “…excuse me sir, just how small can that can go?” she asked that shop keeper smiled at her “as small as your wrist, it doubles from necklace to bracelet” He said. Aelinaras smiled holding out a few coins “I’ll take it” she said gleefully Eomir lowered her hand and handed the man some coins of his own “she’ll take it” He repeated smirking down at her “what was that fore?” she asked blinking in confusion “It’s my gift to you…You’ve helped me grow within myself over the years…I see people for the size of their heart, not the size of their strength” He said he looked so serious. Aelinaras smiled at him and patted his shoulder before they headed back to the main levels of the King.

As they ascended a flight of stairs Aelinaras froze, “what is it?” Eomir said with a light hearted chuckle “you look like you’ve seen a ghost” He added. Aelinaras ripped the stone railing tightly leaning against the wall. She groaned faintly Eomir’s smile fades away as his eyes trailed to her feet; she was standing in a puddle, her long white silk gown drenched at the bottom. “My god” He gasped quickly scooping her within his arms her ran of the flights of stairs. Bursting into the Infirmary, Aelinaras was breathing heavily hiding her face in the Rohirrim man’s shoulder trying her best not to cream. “Eowyn!” Eomir called out, Eowyn had been sitting and talking with Faramir as she tended to people there in. Faramir’s eyes grew wide at the site of Aelinaras, Eowyn rushed to her brother… “How long as she been like this?” She asked hastily “not long…she fine and then she took the stairs” Eomir said he hadn’t any clue what would have thrown her into Labor so early. “Never mind just get her into a room…Faramir, I need a pale of boiled water…that’s slightly cooled and some cloth” Eowyn instructed while ushering Eomir and Aelinaras into a room. Aelinaras was placed into a bath of room temperature water, the water was shallow. “Ok just breath” Eowyn said softly holding Aelinaras’ hand. Faramir had returned with the water and rags. Eowyn places a rag on the she elf’s forehead. Her pulse had slowed down greatly, Eowyn frowned “what’s wrong?” Faramir asked peeping timidly past Eowyn’s shoulder “I think she’s fading…” Eowyn muttered standing up “what do we do?” Faramir asked as Aelinaras let out a loud yell while her body naturally began to push. Both men, Eomir & Faramir recoiled at her cry. “You two…need to go over there…other side of the room” Eowyn demanded. Another hour past and the door was thrown open. “The baby is coming!” Pippin yelped bursting in the door, Merry peeked in from behind him quietly “is she ok?” he asked. Eowyn smiled slightly “for now” she said as the two hobbits came in, they were quickly followed by Frodo and Sam. Aelinaras groaned again “must they all be in here…” She muttered looking off to the side “ I feel like a jester…or the entertainment” she added Eowyn sighed and gave the she elf’s hand a squeeze “they are just trying to be here for you” She added in, Aelinaras leered at her “they can do that from outside” she muttered.

Another hour past, “I think I’m going to pass out is it here yet” Frodo asked from his chair, Eowyn sighed “what I would give for another woman to be here” she sighed shaking her head. Aelinaras cried out again as the pain got worse. All of the men stood up expecting for the baby to come out “it was just a contraction...Please sit down or I shall ask you all to leave” Eowyn instructed calmly. “I’m glad you’re here with me” Aelinaras managed to get out holding Eowyn’s hand tighter, the Shield maiden smiled “make me it’s god mother…and we shall call it even” She deliberated with a smile. Aragorn walked into the room calmly “how long has it been?” he asked unfazed by the scene. “Finally a man whom can handle it” Eowyn sighed. Aragorn looked at his companions and chuckled to himself. “I’ve sent a messenger to Mirkwood…” Aragorn said while pulling up a chair at Aelinaras’ side. “How are you feeling?” he asked Aelinaras sighed “honestly…fairly week, scared…it’s too soon...” she said with a frown. “The only thing I can grasp hold of is, I’ve seen my end…thus I do not fear the prospect of death…I just want to see my child’s face before I go” She said lowly as not to let the hobbits hear. Aragorn nodded. “And were exactly do you think you’re going?” Pippin called out loudly Aelinaras laughed, could she expect anything more from a Took than for him to be ease dropping. Eowyn took a good look into the water “she’s ready… can someone fetch Gandalf……he’s the only other one of any use here” She called “I will go” Sam offered grateful for a chance to leave the room. Gandalf entered the room; he took Aragorn’s place at the she elf’s side, and rested his hand on her forehead. Opening up his old wizarding book, he uttered a spell over her, dimming her pain. Not long after the room was filled with screams, from both Aelinaras…and most of the men, then the glorious cry of new birth…and shortly after…another one. Aelinaras looked up at Gandalf and Eowyn her eyes barely open. “Twin boys…” Eowyn said softly rocking the infant in her arms. Gandalf smiled down at the baby in his arms, as the two got to work on cleaning them. Aelinaras had passed out.

Crickets could be heard singing their songs of the night, the air was calm and a light wind blew outside of Minas Tirith. Aelinaras’ eyes open “she wakes” A voice said softly, the she elf tried to sit up but her muscles would not support her, two strong arms grabbed her arm and back hoisting her up right. “Legolas?” she questioned, He nodded. “How..How long was I out...?” She asked “three days.” He said with a weary smile, “what about the-“Aelinaras started quickly, he hushed her and smiled sadly “your son is alive…the other…it’s heart was not strong enough” He said slowly, Aelinaras frowned but she could not bring herself to cry, In a way she was glad…”he got to see his son after all” She muttered in a bitter sweet tone. Legolas nodded and looked out the window, the moonlight graced his features and he shinned vivid silver and white under its light. Just like the night in the courtyard. “Have you been here for the whole tree days?” She asked him He smiled at her “two days….straight, but I’d rather be here…right here” He said tiredly. Aelinaras smiled, her smiled melted away under the intense look in his azure eyes “speak your mind” she said resting her back against the head board. Legolas gazed at her a moment longer. “Le no an-uir nin / Will you be mine forever?” He asked softly. Aelinaras’ gazed at him blankly “ ……My forever is already spoken for…I cannot stay with you forever.” Aelinaras sighed as the guilt in her heart rose. Legolas seemed to deflate, “I suspected that answer…then just give me the rest of your life in this world” He asked taking her hands within his. “You cannot deny that we love…amidst and around the love you have given to Boromir.” The elf prince spoke with resolve; Aelinaras turned her gaze to her hands. Legolas used his finger to lift up her face. “I can offer you happiness for your days left here” He added. Aelinaras sighed and closed her eyes “what say you?” he asked softly Aelinaras was silent, as she thought Legolas’ hear hammered rapidly in his chest as he searched her face. “A-Aye” She said slowly opening her eyes. “aye?” He asked He needed to know that she was sure. “Aye” she said again looking the Prince dead in the eye. Legolas smiled, reaching his hand into her hair and leaned in and kissed her with tenderness and a light passion. He’d wanted to feel the rose petals that that been her lips since the day they first met. As he pulled away they both smiled, but Aelinaras couldn’t deny the betrayal in her heart.

A Month past and both mother and surviving child were stable, Eowyn cradled Aelinaras’ baby boy Haldir II in her arms gushing over his pudgy face, green eyes and rosy cheeks as he giggled in her arms. “Oh must you go?” She said with a slight sorrow. Aelinaras laughed, “We’ll be back in time for Aragorn’s ceremony” The she elf giggled Eowyn gave a sheepish smile. Legolas came riding up alongside them, “are you ready to take leave” He asked smiling down at the women. “As I’ll ever be” Aelinaras said taking his hand and mounting herself onto the horse with him. Eowyn gently handed her Haldir II. “Goodbye Milady I bid you safe travels” Eowyn called before the two elves headed out, as they made for Mirkwood. “My father, King Thranduil, will award you warm welcome into The Woodland Realm, I have gone and made preparations…there will be a feast in your honor.” Legolas had a wide grin on his face as he spoke. Aelinaras laughed lightly at his enthusiasm. “really all of that is not necessary” she said “I beg to differ…You’re a Princess, Lady of the Haven wood…you’ll be treated as such even if your mothers wouldn’t have it” He said sternly, Aelinaras sighed and shook her head as he went on talking about what was to come.

They traveled 3 days and 3 nights before reaching Mirkwood, Legolas halted the horse in front of the forests edge. It was almost as daunting as Fangorn. “No wonder he felt so at home within Fangorn…Mirkwood…is rather…well it’s no Lorien.” Aelinaras thought holding her baby closer to her chest. “Do not worry…I know how it looks, but let me show you it’s beauty” Legolas said with a smile, Aelinaras returned it as they entered the forest. Great old tree’s climbed towards the sky, looming spectacular pines with ever spreading branched. Substantial Roots buckled and bridged over the ground like tunnels, rooms and walking ways, it was a silent place save the rhythmic hooting of the owls and the fait howling of distant wolves. “It was dark, not much light came through, but it wasn’t as dank and dark as Fangorn, it was just aged. Soon they passed a great wooden gate. “It swung open as they approached as if they had been expected. Within the gates it was a bustle scene, of taverns, guilds, bookshops, and more, stair wells winding up the great tree’s to homes, and other services. A head there stood an ancient tree that towered among the rest, it was surrounded by an silver gate and elf archers and guards. “Make way Prince Legolas has returned, Make was for the prince!” The gate keeper called as Legolas and Aelinaras were granted safe passage.