Status: A work in progress

Safe

Chapter Three

Michael, Red, and James shoot up from their spot. Making as little noise as possible, the load their weapon and wake the others alerting them silently of potentional danger. The rattling starts again, closer this time. Peering out the small window on the door, James looks for anything in the hallway. Seeing nothing, he cautiously steps out of the room, Michael close behind him. He hears the rattling again from his right and he looks down the half lit hallway, the floresent lights blinking occasionally.
Following the sound, they see one of the emergency exits chained shut and rattling. With a thick plexy glass window, they see a young woman in her mid-thirties. She is covered in dirt and grime. She has blood on her face, sholders, and arms. There are at least a dozen of the walking dead closing in fast. She sees James and Michael.
"HELP," she screams. "HELP ME, PLEASE!"
The men exchange a look and head towards her. As they get closer, they see marks that look like human teeth on her sholder where her cloths are torn. They know that she has been bitten and they cannot save her. If they open the door the dead can come and attack their small group. It's a risk they cannot take. They step back from the door.
She looks behind her and screams. The dead are almost on her. She looks back at the two men and sees the decision in their eyes.
"OH, PLEASE! PLEASE SAVE ME! DON'T LET THEM GET ME!"
Behind the men, Red comes around the corner. She sees the woman and runs to help her. Michael grabs her arm.
"No," he says. "Its too late for her."
Red begins to tear up. No one should have to die that way, but many had. Its heartbeaking to watch and harder to stomach. She turns into Michael and hides he face. He watches silently as the beasts close in on the woman. He has blocked her screams out.
The woman turns to fight them off. One of the things, once an elderly lady, lunges for her and is knocked down by the desprite woman. The horde of monsterssuddenly attack at once. She has no chance. She screams again, one last blood-curtling scream. They tear into her flesh with their rotten teeth.
The on-lookers look away as they devour the woman. Red's tears stain Michael's shirt. He knows not to say anything. In his mind, he knows that he couldn't help, but he still wishes there was a way to help. Beside them, James sighs and turns away.
"Lets go," he says and walks back to the room.
They return to the room and sit down. Red stays close to Michael. Somehow, she feels safe close to him at the moment. The other four in the room look curiously at them. The other two woman, Danica and Lorra, look uneasy. They all heard the screams. No one asks what happened. They don't really want to know.The three other men, James, Zack, and Spike (his real name is Billy) huddle together making small talk and trying to forget what they heard, and in James's case, seen.
As time passes, the women drift back to their spots to get a little more sleep. Sleep is a presious commodity to this unique band of people. The men, who are as unsettled as the woman (although they dont show it), resume what they are doing or change off with the others for guard duty.
♠ ♠ ♠
COMMENTS ARE AWESOME!