Delilah

Two.

“It’ll be okay Dee, we’ll get through this. Two more years and you can be wherever you want, and we can be together like this all the time,” he promised, and I sighed, shaking my head.

“That’s not completely true Ryan; you’ll still be gone a lot playing hockey,”

“But I can be around a lot, you know that Dee. Any amount of time together is better than how little we get to see each other now,” he explained. I agreed – I hated being so damn far apart, because I missed him all the time.

“That’s true,” I agreed, pressing a soft kiss to his cheek. When the movie was over we went to my bedroom and crawled into bed, cuddling up to each other and promptly falling asleep after we’d said goodnight.

I woke up the next morning, sure I’d dreamt of seeing Ryan after the hockey game and having him all to myself for an entire night. I sat up and stretched, my room looking the same as always. One of his Red Deer Rebels shirts and a pair of sleep shorts were my pajamas, as per usual, and I let out a sigh as I rested my elbows on my knees, and my chin on my crossed arms, feeling the ache of being away from him even stronger. It had felt so real, but then something in the back of my mind was sure it had been.

Then the paper caught my eye – it was tucked halfway under my spare pillow. I pulled it out, and my eyes began to water when I read it. I hadn’t managed to dream it all up, as I was so accustomed to doing.


Hey there Delilah,
I know you’re here in New York City,
I’m a thousand miles away,
But girl tonight you looked so pretty
Yes you do – Times Square can’t shine as bright as you,
I swear it’s true

Hey there Delilah
Don’t you worry about the distance
I’m right here if you get lonely give this song another listen
Close your eyes,
Listen to my voice it’s my disguise
I’m by your side

Hey there Delilah
I know things are hard
But just believe me girl, someday I’ll pay the bills
And you’ll be a star
We’ll have it good
We’ll have the life we knew we would
My word is good

Hey there Delilah
I’ve got so much left to say
If every simple word I wrote to you
Would take your breath away I’d write it all
Even more in love with me you’d fall
And we’d have it all

A thousand miles seems pretty far
But they’ve got planes and trains and cars
I’d walk to you if I had no other way
Our friends would all make fun of us
And we’ll laugh along because we know
That none of them have felt this way

Delilah I can promise you
That by the time that we get through
The world will never be same
And you’re to blame

Hey there Delilah
You be good and don’t you miss me
Two more years and you’ll be done with school
And I’ll be making history like I do
You know it’s all because of you
This one’s for you

Sitting underneath the pillow was his hat-trick puck from last night, as well as a little velvet box. I set the piece of paper and the puck down on top of the comforter beside me, and realized my hands were shaking as I opened the box. A folded up note sat on top of it, and a beautiful ring.

‘Wish I could’ve been there to say good morning, but you looked so beautiful I didn’t want to wake you up. I chickened out of giving this to you last night like I’d planned, but it’s a promise ring. I promise that I’ll always be there for you, even if I’m a thousand miles away, and that you’re the only girl for me, even if we’re a thousand miles apart. Don’t you every worry about the distance; remember that it’s only two more years, and distance doesn’t change how we feel. I love you, Delilah. - Ryan.

And what else would come on the radio but “Hey There Delilah” by the Plain White T’s. Ryan and I had always had weird timing like that.
♠ ♠ ♠
Changed it up - I think this is the first story I've written on here that wasn't a Staal story, so I hope you like it! Let me know what you think!