Château de Cédre

Chapter 1

I took my time getting down the steps, not even bothering to get ready for the day. It was Saturday. I saw no reason to get ready in such short time.

After the 45-50 seconds of alone time coming down the steps, I walked into the living room, feeling the cold touch of my locket on my chest. I looked over to see Nikki reading a book for once. Twilight. A pretty good series, but that just wasn’t like my sister. She looked up as I passed her and gave a small smile before looking back down at the novel in her hands.

The next room I ventured into was the kitchen. The first thing I saw was my mother peering through the curtains on the window above the sink suspiciously. "Mom...-" I yawned. "Why are we up so early?” glancing at the clock above her. "It's 4:56... a.m.," I finished.

She just smiled at me. "It's just a-a..." she stuttered. ”A special day," she concluded her eyes betraying her joyful smile. She took two strides toward me and picked up the heart part of my locket. She flipped it over a few times in her hands. Her smile dropped as the locket fell back into place. "Celle... Sweetheart, remember this day."

I looked at her, confused as she moved toward the main entrance to the house and turned to face the closet door. She only got the door about two inches open before the lights went out. I heard a growling noise and my sister screaming. I looked around frantically only to see the outline of a shadowy figure and my mother and sister’s bodies fall to the floor. There was a beautiful turquoise flash that the figure seemed to absorb into thin air. I stood in awe as the figure left. The lights came back on and I stood there, minutes past in silence. I recovered and slowly stepped toward the closet, checking my sister and my mother's pulse as I went.

They were barely breathing and had a very faint pulse, but they looked almost dead-like.

I pushed the closet door open, wincing from the loud moan the door hinges made. Inside was a bow along with a pouch of arrows. I looked to find a note attached to the wooden part of the bow by a red ribbon. I took the note off and realized that it was my sister's handwriting. "Here, you'll need this. -Nikki" it read.

I took the bow and arrows down only to have an envelope; identical to the one I woke up to the day I got my locket, fall from somewhere. I picked it up and opened it:

"The only way to get the dearest back
To go to the tear and get the pack
When the task at hand is completed
Go to where the stone meets the stars
And look for the black rose
But beware of the evil that roams."

I now had a fierce look of determination in my eyes. It looked like I had a bit of a challenge at hand.
♠ ♠ ♠
Wrote by Maybe. Edited by me!