Status: For a contest, so it's a quickie :)

Here's to Second Chances

Three

Langley bit her lip, “Steve.”

He looked Jack up and down, “Am I interrupting something?”

“No,” Jack answered, “But I don’t think you should be here Mason.”

Steve stepped forward, “I need to be here,” he turned his attention to Langley, “Please let me talk to you.”

She looked between the two men before her and nodded, “It’s fine Jackie.”

He kissed the top of her head, “The guest room would be more private, but yell if you need me Lang, okay?”

“Promise,” she smiled.

Steve took a deep breath and reached for her hand but she just walked past him toward the stairs and up to the guest room. Once inside Steve closed the door behind them. He noticed how Langley hugged her stomach, almost like she was about to be sick; he hated that he hurt her that way.

Steve sat in the chair to the desk and leaned forward with his elbows on his knees. Langley wasn’t about to sit down, she felt it made her seem to comfortable, maybe even too vulnerable. He let out a sigh and ran his hand through his brown hair, “I fucked up.”

“I’ve waited for you to come up with that assessment for how long?” she threw her hands in the air.

“Stop!” he scolded her, “Just listen to me,” he looked up at her with complete seriousness and something else in his eyes.

Whatever she saw behind his greyish eyes made her stop bitching and listen.

“It was a long trip, I was lonely as fuck, and we were on a losing streak. Cartsy talked me into going out and then we just drank until we couldn’t see straight, it was a fucked up night. those are the excuses I have,” he looked at her as she moved to sit on the edge of the bed, “But none of them are worth shit. None of them are an answer for why I did what I did, none of them are even worth bringing up again. I cheated on you that night for no reason whatsoever, I just did. It was the worst choice I’ve ever made in my life and I’m going to spend the rest of my life regretting it and thinking about all of the what-if’s with you and I. I can’t take it back, as much as I wish I could, I can’t go back and do anything about it.”

“That’s so insightful,” she responded in a snotty tone.

He took a deep breath and continued, ignoring her snide comment, “I loved you before that night, I loved you after that night, and I still love you. nothing and no one will ever be able to change that. Regardless of what the outcome is for us, you will always be the love of my life. I guess,” he paused, “I guess I just want you to know that. To know that if you ever decide to forgive me, give me a second chance, or just want to bitch me out and hit me that I will let you. I will be there just waiting for you for the rest of my life Lala, I love you.”

He went to stand up but Langley stopped him, “Steve?”

He looked at her again, “Yes?”

“If I meant so much to you, how could you?”

He looked away from her, “She looked so much like you; the long blond hair, the big brown eyes,” he shook his head, “The alcohol made her seem so much like you. I swore it was you, I called her Langley and Lala all night. when I woke up the next morning though, it wasn’t you, it was just some random whore,” he bit his lip and his cheeks puffed out a little, “I went back to the hotel and punched the mirror in the bathroom, that’s why I had stitches and it wrapped when I got home. I didn’t play that night because they thought I had the flu, I was so upset I made myself sick over and over again.

“Why didn’t you tell me sooner?” Langley stepped closer to him.

“If I didn’t mention it, it wasn’t real,” he couldn’t look at her, “I loved you and I didn’t want to be the cause of pain for you, I was supposed to make you feel good, but instead I made you feel awful. I couldn’t deal with that. And then when I did tell you I swear to God, the look on your face made me want to kill myself. When you packed up your stuff and left, I really did almost kill myself,” he revealed, “I thought about it. Jack talked me out of it though, told me that time heals all and that maybe when the time was right you’d at least talk to me again.”

“Who told you I was here?” she asked.

“I’m not allowed to say,” Steve smiled.

“Fucking Johnson,” Langley growled.

Steve was close enough to touch her now so he took the chance and did. He put his hand on her neck and smiled, “He loves you, he wants you to feel better.”

Langley looked at Steve with a confused look on her face, “That’s why I’m here Lang, because my teammate and friend is in love with you. I can’t make what I did better and I can’t make it go away. I hurt you, I’m the reason you won’t let anyone else into your life that way again and I want to at least make that better for you,” he ran his thumb over her cheek, “I’m always going to love you Lala, but you aren’t always going to love me, that’s my fault and I need to accept that.”

“Jack?” she stared at the floor.

Steve leaned over and kissed her forehead, “Jack.”

“You’re here for Jack?” she asked.

“I’m here for you,” he corrected her, “I’m here because if I can’t make you happy, I want someone I know and trust to make you happy. I that he’s more than capable of doing that Langley and I’m here to try to convince you that not all guys will get hammered and cheat on you, Jack wouldn’t.”

Langley looked up at her ex-boyfriend in pure amazement. He had done her wrong, almost broke her, and now here he was trying to mend her in a way no man would ever think to; he was giving her closure, apologizing for his wrong doings, and trying to convince her that antoher man was better for her than he was. It tugged on her heartstrings and in the deepest part of her soul she knew that Steve Mason did love her, more than any apology or any words in the dictionary could describe.

“Goodbye Langley,” he kissed her cheek, “I’ll be seeing you around.”