Status: Completed.

Blithe

coming home

She paced their short living room back and forth, wringing her hands together nervously. Every few seconds, she'd glance out the window, only to sigh and continue pacing as the scene outside remained unchanging. Her anxiety was steadily increasing with each passing minute. She sighed and ran her hands through her blonde hair, tucking and untucking it from behind her ear as a nervous habit. With a groan, she fell back onto the couch and stared up at the vaulted ceiling.

He had promised that he'd be home by four o'clock. Glancing at her cell phone, Rose swallowed nervously as she noticed it was already ten. He hadn't called her once to notify her that there was a problem or that he'd be late; her mind could only conjure up the worst scenarios. What if he had been called back to duty? Rose knew that she couldn’t handle not seeing him for another four years.

When she first met Lucas Stright, she immediately knew that he was something special. He was more than perfect to her and to many other people, women mostly. His deep brown hair was styled in a casual way, pushed back with some gel but not flattened to his head. It was shaved on each side and stretch down to the matching stubble along his jaw and around his mouth. His six foot height made him tower over most people and his lean build only added to what made people stare. There was nothing more alluring to Rose than her Luke and she knew from the moment she saw him and their eyes connected that she couldn’t let him go. That was over eight years ago and now at 24, Rose was as in love with him as she was when they first met.

Rose glanced down at her phone again – 10:34. She groaned, burying her face in her hands before pulling them away and standing up. She glanced down at the ring on her left hand, the diamond glistening even under the lowest light. The sound of a car door closing pulled Rose out of her thoughts and she raced to the window, pulling back the curtains as though they were on fire.

“Finally!” She squealed, jumping up off the couch and racing out the front door, not even bothering with shoes.

Rose stopped at the end of the walkway as Luke climbed out of the green van, pulling two duffel bags out with him. He shook hands with the driver before turning to face Rose. Her breath caught in her throat as he stared at her, his green eyes shining. He smiled and dropped his bags, opening his arms wide. Rose laughed and raced forward, leaping into his embrace. She wrapped her arms around his neck and her legs around his waist, burying her face in his neck, small tears leaking out the corner of her eyes. She had never felt more relieved to finally be in his arms.

“I missed you Rosie.”