Status: One-shot

Monsters in the Closet

one / one

‘Oh god somebody help me please!’ Bolin begged as he saw Lightning Bolt Zolt move into the spotlight. The words persuading the audience watching in awe from beyond the lights were nothing but mere noise to him. Nothing made sense and his body was beginning to feel numb. ‘Mako, I need you,’ he thought panicking. He always needed Mako though, the older brother, the protector. ‘What was I thinking? I should have listened to you! I knew it was wrong but I still went with Shady Shin. I’m so sorry, Mako. Forgive me… please.’

Shady Shin was in denial as the chi blockers carried him off the stage. Then he was next. Bolin’s last moments as a bender. ‘Mako please help me.’ The chi blocker pushed him onto the middle of the stage, across from him, Amon.

“Y-you don’t understand… I-I…”

“I know enough” Amon said taking a few steps closer. “and I know they aren’t here.”

Bolin couldn’t tell if it was just a hallucination but a sick sadistic smile spread across Amon’s mask. Bolin tried to step back but his feet wouldn’t listen. Eventually he just fell to his knees. Amon was close to him. Bolin could feel his breath seeping through his mask making his skin tingle. Amon’s hands made a shadow across Bolin’s face. Bolin’s eyes went wide. Amon could do anything to him. He was completely helpless.

“This is the end for you, you disgusting earth bender.”

“No!” Bolin shouted shielding himself with his hands. He wrapped himself in his blankets as the sweat dripped off his face. Mako jumped out of bed in a fighting stance, ready to hurt whoever invaded the room, but no one was there. It was just Bolin and Mako.

“Oh… s-sorry. I had a bad dream. These… ah… monsters were chasing me… yeah.”

Mako looked at him concerned. He was fooled by Bolin’s fake excuse, but decided to go along with it. “Do you want to talk about these ‘monsters’?”

“Oh… no, they looked silly now that I think about it.”

“Okay then. Goodnight, I guess.”

“Goodnight, bro.”

Once Mako was asleep Bolin went to the kitchen to make some tea. He needed something to calm down. The feelings felt fresh in him once again, the bright lights, the horror on everyone’s faces; and most importantly, the feeling of being alone. He was shocked when Mako had appeared before him on the foggy stage. A burst of happiness overcame him, but later when everything wasn’t so hectic, he thought about it. He thought about how everyone had risked so much for him. Mako risked himself being discovered as a fire bender or Korra who’s the avatar. If Amon had found out the avatar was there before they could save him… he could only imagine.

All of that made Bolin feel worse. The fact that he didn’t think made everyone worry and risk their lives. The thought of that alone was more painful than anything. Mako was his brother, he loved him, and it was hard to imagine a life without him. It was impossible to think of a life without Mako. He was his family, his best friend, and he was the only thing Bolin needed. Well at least he used to. Suddenly Korra felt like more than just a random girl. She felt like more than she did before. Korra was more than a good friend, in fact, he really liked her. She was just an island away. So close yet, so far.

In the morning Bolin woke up at the breakfast table. Mako was nudging him until he opened his eyes. Bolin looked around sleepily and got up from the table. Mako had a concerned look on his face but Bolin tried to not look at him.

“I’m going to just… get ready and stuff.” He said motioning to his room.

“Alright, I’ll be right here when you’re ready.”

---

“Where is Korra? She should be down here by now.” Bolin asked.

“I’m as curious as you are. I guess she’s not coming to practice.” Mako replied annoyed.

“Oh…” Bolin said looking at the present he had planned to give her.

Mako looked at him and could tell he was bothered. “Why don’t you go see Korra and ask her what’s going on?”

“You’re not coming?”

Mako looked around thinking of something to say. “I have to go run some errands in town.”

“Alright”

---

“Who’s this Tarrlock guy? Is he bothering you? Huh, cause I could have a word with him.” Bolin said worried.

“Huh, no it's not like that. He's just some old guy who works with Tenzin on the council.” Korra replied. She seemed a bit distant after the messenger came.

“Oh, good. Good that’s better.”

“What was it we were talking about again?” Korra asked.

For a second Bolin couldn’t stop looking into her eyes; but then he realized how creepy he must looked. “Oh we were talking about practice.”

Bolin didn’t want to talk about his nightmares. He didn’t even mean to bring it up. It just sort of came out while he was talking. How could Korra not see how amazing it was that she rescued him? I guess his appreciation wasn’t that visible anymore anyways. A cupcake and a flower look so minuscule compared to that giant bouquet.

“That must have been scary.”

“W-what?”

“I mean, not knowing Mako and I were there making sure he wouldn’t hurt you. I was kind of scared just seeing you up there. For some reason I kept thinking I’d mess up…”

Bolin started to see how Korra was feeling. She was scared. Not of people getting hurt or anything, she was just scared. She was scared of Amon and the power he had. The target over her head wasn’t helping much either. Now she really couldn’t wonder around the city. Chi blockers are probably on the lookout for her.

“Korra, if you want to talk about stuff. I’m only a swim away…”

“I’m fine. I mean I’m on the island now. Everyone’s safe now. Well at least you are. I mean- never mind. I’m starting to ramble. I should probably get back to practicing.”

“Yeah… I should be on my way now too.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Just a short one shot I wrote so I would stop annoying my friends with everything that is Legend of Korra. Something to calm my fan girling. lol.

It might be a little rough. Comment if you like it. :)