Stuck Like Glue

That Glint In Your Eye

Our parents were saviors when Jack and I needed a break. I love Jocelyn with my entire heart but sometimes we needed to just have a break, to sleep without worrying if Jocey was about to wake up and scream so loud she got the DSS called on us. For two months after we took her home, she was still wary of everyone that came over. Except, that is, for Cassadee, Rian’s wife. She quieted right down as Rian shifted our daughter into Cass’s arms. Jocelyn reached up for Cassadee’s dark hair and giggled. It wasn’t the first time we’d heard her laugh but it was the first time she’d laughed with someone that wasn’t Jack or me. It’s safe to say that Jocelyn had stayed the night at Rian and Cassadee’s plenty of times. Jack and I even talked about naming Rian and Cass as her godparents, in case anything happened to either of us.

“Thank you, Mom, seriously,” I said, trying to suppress a yawn and failing. Jocey stared up at me as I tried to lay her down for tummy time, something that she could not stand. I was on the phone with my mom, having broken down and called for her help. I hated that I couldn’t handle my own daughter but our lack of sleep was getting to us. Jack and I had already had a quick spat earlier that day while Jocelyn played with her toys.

“Oh, Alex, you know I’d do anything for you and that baby. How is she today?”

I laughed as she scrunched up her face, squirming as I lay her on Jack’s stomach. He was currently taking a nap on the floor. His hand automatically came up to hold her in place, pressing his fingers into her back. She started to whimper and then set out an unhappy screech. He peaked at her.

“Hey Jo,” he cooed, rubbing circles into her back. She continued to let out loud screeches and squirmed against Jack. “Shhh, it’ll be okay, baby girl. Just a couple more minutes.”

“She’s going to figure out we’re lying to her,” I warned. I heard Mom chuckle on the other end.

“Lucky for us, she really has no concept of time yet,” Jack reminded me.

“I’ll come over to pick her up in about a half hour. How does that sound?” Mom said, interrupting my thoughts and reminding I was still on the phone.

“Yeah, that sounds great. Hey Mom, when did I start rolling over?” I asked, watching as she tried to roll off Jack, her arms pushing her up and towards his side.

“That was forever ago, Alex. I don’t know. 3 months or so. Why?”

“I’m just watching Jocey. She’s trying to roll off Jack.”

“Put her on her stomach on the floor and put something off to the side, a toy that she’d want or even Jack.”

“Is it normal?”

“What?”

“For her to almost be 5 months and not rolling over yet?”

“I’d ask your pediatrician, Lex, but all babies develop slower than others. It doesn’t mean anything’s wrong with Jocelyn. I know you. You’re freaking out right now.”

“I am.”

“Alright, calm down. Look at your daughter, Alex. Look at her. Does she look unhappy?”

“Well, yeah. It’s tummy time.”

“You know what I mean, Alexander. Does she look like she’s not growing every day? Does she look like she’d rather be in someone else’s family? Does she look healthy?”

“Thank you.”

“I’ll be right over.”

We said our goodbyes and then hung up. I picked Jocey up off Jack’s chest and shifted us backwards. I put her on her stomach on the carpet and watched as she pushed herself up and then towards Jack, starting to roll onto her side. She reached for him but flopped back onto her stomach without the support of her arms. I chuckled and went to pack her diaper bag for my mom’s house.

“Baby,” Jack called as I reached the second floor. I sighed and trudged back down. When I found the pair, Jocey had rolled onto her back and had all of her limbs stuck up in the air, probably in surprise. She looked like a turtle. I took out my phone and snapped a picture of it. Jack was too busy laughing to help Jocelyn out of her surprised stance. I knelt down and picked her up, setting her on my hip.

“Oh, Jocey, you are the cutest baby in the world. I love you,” I said with a chuckle still tingeing my voice. She looked less than impressed at Jack’s response, looking down at him with a scrunched up expression. I kissed her forehead. “I gotta pack your bags for Gramma’s house. Lay with Daddy.”

I set her back down on her tummy about a foot from Jack. He had sobered enough to watch her but I could still see the laughter dancing in his eyes. The thing about Jack is that he has always had the most expressive eyes. You can always tell what’s up with Jack if you know how to read those eyes.

I leaned over and kissed my husband, running a hand through his soft hair before heading back towards the stairs, sending the picture of Jocey to practically everyone in my contacts. I wondered briefly if they were sick of all the pictures we’d sent them, but then decided I didn’t care. They were going to be overloaded with cute messages, filled with Jocey’s little face, and they were going to deal with it.

I opened the door to Jocelyn’s nursery and sighed. It had become a mess in the past couple of weeks, onesies and outfits strewn across the beige carpet, diapers and packages of wipes lying beside the changing station and toys falling out of the box we’d stuck them in. I grabbed her diaper bag from beside the door and set it on the changing table. I packed in two handfuls of diapers and stashed them in the bottom in two neat piles. I added in a full travel package of sensitive baby wipes beside the diapers. I grabbed a couple of outfits, including a white onesie with pink trim and polka dots, with matching leggings that also doubled as a white and pink layered skirt. I packed a pair of pajamas and then threw in her mustache binky. Mom had commented on it the first time she’d met Jocey, the day after we brought her home. Jocey had fallen asleep in Jack’s arms, where he was rocking in the chair we’d bought for our living room. It wasn’t as comfortable as the one in the nursery but it was affective. It had nearly put Jack to sleep the first time he’d rocked in it.

“Alex, did you buy my granddaughter a mustache binky?” she gasped, looking like she wanted to pull the binky out of the sleeping child’s mouth.

“Technically, Joyce bought it,” I corrected, watching Jack stroke our daughter’s soft, pudgy cheek.

“I did NOT!” Joyce said as quietly as she could manage while still sounding utterly offended.

“Maybe not you personally, Ma, but you did give us that gift card to Babies R Us,” Jack replied. I chuckled and rested my hand on his shoulder. He beamed up at me, his happiness written all over that wonderful face.

I will never forget that look, that look Jack gets when he holds Jocelyn. He’s holding his world, you can see that. It’s the same look he gets whenever he holds his first guitar, except this one is so much more amplified and vivid.

“Alex, your mom’s here! Where’s the diaper bag?” Jack called up the stairs. I must’ve zoned, one of Jocey’s jumpers still in my hands. I folded it and tossed it into the bag. I finished packing the rest of her essentials and then hurried downstairs to pack her formula and teething toys. Mom was cuddling Jocelyn, talking to her and letting her stare and pull on her hair. Jack had already gotten the formula out and set it on the island, and had piled up a few of Jocey’s favorite toys.

“You’re so great, baby.”

He grinned.

“You don’t have to tell me,” he replied, leaning towards me, his lips pouted. I leaned into him and kissed him. He smiled into the kiss, resting his hand on my neck, stroking his thumb gently down my skin. Shivers raced down my spine at the contact.

“My mom is still here, Jack,” I warned, pushing him back. He whined and whimpered, stamping his foot as I turned my attention to the diaper bag. I pushed the rest of the items into the bag and zipped it shut. I carried the bag back to the living room where Mom was strapping Jocey into the car seat.

“We’re gonna have so much fun, aren’t we, Jo? Girls night while the daddies have some alone time.”

It’s like Mom expected us to do nothing but have sex while Jocelyn was off visiting. Although, I can sense that’s exactly what Jack wants tonight. I don’t mind, but the fact that Mom is expecting it kind of puts me off a bit. We weren’t horny teenagers anymore. We were married. We were parents.

“When do you want me to return the little munchkin?” Mom asked, lifting the carrier up with ease. I eased the diaper bag’s strap up her arm and resting it on her shoulder.

“Whenever works for you. Just, you know, call first,” I said. I leaned over and kissed Jocey on the forehead, whispering goodbye and I love you to her.

She smiled at me a knowing smile. She called a goodbye to Jack and headed out. As soon as the front door shut, Jack’s arms snaked around my waist and tugged me into him.

“Hey mister,” he purred. I leaned my head back against his shoulder as he pressed soft, determined kisses into my neck and jawline. “Come to bed. Daddies are getting some alone time.”
♠ ♠ ♠
HELLOOOOOO STONEHENGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
WHOEVER TAKES THE PANDORICA TAKES THE UNIVERSE!

:)

DFTBA,
Rory The Roman