Safe & Sound (Niall Horan ONE SHOT/Audio Read)

Just Close Your Eyes.

Please listen to this while you read.

I remember those few words that cut me every so deeply.

"Niall, the cancer is back. She cried. Those words hurt, but the next hurt more.
"The doctor said I don't have much long left." I sat down and pulled her shaking body onto my lap and held her close.
"I'll never let you go." I said with tears streaming down my pale face.

The next few months I spent right by her side. I rarely let her leave me. We did all the things she wanted to do. I took her to the top of the Eiffel tower. We ate pizza in New York. We swam with the dolphins in Mexico. We tried to do everything we could before she had to go back to the hospital.
She hated being there. The beds were uncomfortable, the food sucked - but what she hated most was that I had to leave every night.
"Don't leave me here alone." She would cry.
"I have to Princess, but I promise I'll be back here at 4am on the dot.

For weeks after that, it was problem after problem. She needs to go through chemo again. She needs to get her gall bladder removed. I just wanted her to be better. I just wanted my princess back.

"Mr. Horan, I think we've found something that will make her better for a period of time."
"What is it? Anything."
"She needs a kidney replacement."
"Really? Can we see if I'm a match?" My heart was beating at a million miles an hour.
"I've checked your medical records, and unfortunately, you're not a match. We can check the donor list, but it could take months to find a match. I don't know if she'll make it, I'm sorry."

For days after that, I didn't leave her side no matter what the hospital staff said. It had been four months, and the doctors said she would only live 3.
"I'm just going to sleep for a bit Niall. You don't have to stay if you don't want."
"Just close your eyes Princess." I watched as she slowly shut her eyes for the last time.

"Hey, princess." I said as I sat down on the grass beside her.
"I brought these for you - your favorite." I handed her a bouquet of red roses.
"I remember I brought you a bouquet like this one on our first date. God, you were so beautiful. That black dress made you look so perfect." I smiled at the memories flooding back to me. A tear slowly made its way down my face.
"I love you so much Princess, I miss you.."
"The sun is going down, I better go." I placed a kiss to my hand, then put it down to her name, then slowly made my way out of the cemetary.