Status: In the Works!

Such Lost Creatures

Prologue

"This is Stacey Malone, how may I help you?" the red haired woman picked up the phone and repeated, like she did on a daily basis. Stacey was the CEO of a publishing company right outside of Huntington Beach, California. Her job as the CEO consisted of answering the phone, reading new story ideas, and discussing possible future business to new or potential authors. Many people, including her friends, family and her husband thought it was a boring job, but it was a job she loved waking up every morning to do.

"Hi Mrs. Malone, this is Catherine Hess, the principal at Kennedy Elementary School. I'm calling about your daughter Kallie Matthews. We need you to pick her up as soon as possible," the woman on the phone recited, her voice sounding annoyed.

"What did she do now, ma'am?" Stacey asked, pulling up her email program and composing a new message. She didn't sound concern; she had no reason to. She was already sure what had happened. She had gotten the same call three times within the past two weeks.

"Kallie got into a fight during recess with a fourth grader. She has a few cuts, but he has a possible broken nose and a black eye. Witnesses say it's because the fourth grader tried to steal another child's money, but I'm not sure. And with this not being her first offense, I think it may be best to transfer her to another school," Catherine explained. She only knew the child from what she read in her file, but she knew this wasn't the first fight she was in. Since she had started school at Kennedy Elementary School over a month ago, Kallie had been in four different fights. More had accumulated since the start of her second grade year.

"Mrs. Malone, I think it's just best to come and pick her up," the principal told, letting out a sigh at the end. The two adults exchanged their goodbyes, and Stacey packed up her things quickly. She finished typing an email to her coworkers, explaining she had to leave early because of an emergency. She sent it, grabbed her purse, and headed towards the exit.

"Hi, Mrs. Malone. I'll fetch Kallie from the nurse's office," one of the secretaries politely said as she picked up her phone. She dialed a number and waited a few seconds. "Hi Cathy, Mrs. Malone is here to pick up Kallie," the secretary spoke into the phone and hung up soon afterwards. Within moments, a tall, but petite red headed girl walked into the office, adorning a new cut on her lip.

"Come on, Kallie," Stacey muttered, not paying much attention to the child. She walked out of the office and school, Kallie right behind her. Stacey had thoughts swarming through her head. She had called her husband on the way to the school and told him what she felt needed to be done with this situation.

"Another school you're not allowed to attend," Stacey sighed as she unlocked her car doors a few feet away. "Well it's not my fault! That jerk Colton was trying to steal Jackson's book fair money! He shoved him into the swing set and---"

"Stop Kallie! Stop with these lies! I wish you would stop making up such stories," Stacey argued when the two of them climbed into the car. "I understand foster children "need more attention", but holy shit," she muttered more under her breath than to Kallie, but she heard every word loud and clear. She didn't bother replying, because she only knew it would make the situation worse.

A few tears fell down Kallie's cheeks, upset about getting yelled at, but even angrier for being called a liar. She knew what happened on the playground, and she knew better than to fight, but all of the fights she got in were for the same reason. She was trying to protect people from getting hurt or abused. Even though she was almost eight years old, she knew the difference between right and wrong. She knew hurting someone for no reason was wrong, but she knew someone had to stand up for the ones who couldn't stand up for themselves.

Stacey started the car and pulled out of her current parking spot. Instead of turning left five blocks down to get onto their street, she kept straight. She knew what she had to do, not feeling guilty at all for her final decision. She knew she couldn't keep Kallie anymore. She didn't fit into the lifestyle her and her husband had made for themselves. They wanted children, but if they were all like Kallie, she wouldn't be able to handle it.

After about twenty minutes, the small vehicle pulled into a parking spot in front of the local foster care facility. Kallie looked at the building in front of her and sighed. She had a feeling this was going to happen; she always does, but she still felt disappointment in herself when each pair of foster parents brought her back.

"I'm sorry, Mrs. Branch, but my husband and I, we just can't take care of her. She---"

"I know, Mrs. Malone, Kallie is a handful. She's a great child; she just does her own thing. I explained this to y'all when you first took her home," Mrs. Sophie Branch interrupted Stacey, not wanting to hear more excuses. She heard the same ones many times, but especially with Kallie. Couples who tried taking her home for the "trial period" never lasted the whole month. Most of the foster parents couldn't tolerate that she was outspoken and stood up for herself and what she believed in at such a young age. It "bothered and worried" the couples, as some have explained to Sophie.

"Should I say goodbye to her?" Stacey asked, turning around and watching Kallie chase around other children who were still at the foster care facility, waiting to be adopted.

"It's best not to," Sophie smiled weakly towards Stacey. She knew Kallie didn't like goodbyes, especially when it's a foster parent abandoning her again.

Image


"You can't be serious, Tristan?" the woman who sat at the end of the table questioned, her voice sounding concerned. "Yes, Celia, I'm very serious. We need more people to join us, to help us fight," Tristan explained, which caused Celia to run her fingers through her short, thick blonde hair. She always trusted her husband's judgment, but at this moment, she had her own doubts.

"But she's a girl! She's a fucking five year old, or something," Jared spat, balling his hands into fists and slamming them against the wooden table. Tristan rolled his eyes at his brother and ignored his rage, continuing to talk to his wife. "I know, I know, she's young. But she shows such great potential. And it's paid off in the past! We took a risk with Raychel, and now look how far she's come," he explained, automatically pointing up, referring to the ten year old child sleeping two floors up.

"Why do you have so much faith in this girl?" Celia asked, her eyebrow rose towards Tristan. "Because," he started, shrugging his shoulders. "She may be seven, but she has a strong personality. I read her school file, and she fights with kids…"

"Oh well that's great, bring a temperamental child in the house," Jared rolled his eyes, leaning back in his chair. Tristan looked at him, his eyes turning red, causing Jared to chuckle.

"Anyways," Tristan breathed, calming himself down before he did something he would regret. "Yes, she gets into fights, but from what I read, it's to help or protect others," he explained. He rushed over to his desk in the next room, and grabbed the manila folder sitting on top. He tossed the folder on the table and shoved it towards his wife, hoping this would help prove his point.

"Hunny, how the hell did you even get this?" Celia asked as she opened the folder to the first page, realizing it was the student record file for the girl.

"I may or may not have stolen it from the filing cabinet, but it doesn't matter," Tristan casually said, waving his arms slightly. He then walked over to Celia and grabbed her hands, wrapping his fingers around hers.

"I know it's a risk doing this, but you know we're gonna need the help. We may not need it now, but when we do, it'll be good to have more than less. Something tells me she'll be an asset to us. Everything about her, from her grades in school so far, from notes written by guidance counselors, it's all there," he persuaded, removing his hand from hers and pointing to the folder.

"Plus, I know you've always wanted more than children," she smiled at his last statement, squeezing his hands gently. Tristan lifted her hands to his lips and placed a few kisses on each hand.

"Just, trust me. Please?" he begged, his eyes staring into Celia's. She sighed loudly, rubbing her thumbs against the top of his hand. "Fine," she mumbled, which caused Tristan to grin widely. He embraced his wife, placing kisses on her cheeks, thanking her over and over again.

"Well that's great and all, but what happens if she decides, 'Oh this is a house full of werewolves? No thanks, I'm good,' leaves, and tells the world about us?" Jared spat, getting out of his chair and shoving it away from him with his foot.

"Like I said, Jared. She wants to protect others. That's what we do. I think she would be eager to help us, and eager to finally have a stable home. But, if she did want to leave," Tristan stopped midsentence, and looked at his brother. His eyes changed from their naturally hazel color, to a dark golden color, while a smirk formed on his face, four of his teeth growing enough to add a sharp point at the end.

"I can be very persuasive."
♠ ♠ ♠
So, this is the start of a new story! I have been trying to get back into writing (although I say that every time I attempt to post something on here). After a certain SOMEONE *coughRAYCHELcough* got me into Teen Wolf, I had the urge to write a werewolf story, and tada! Here we are now. I know, it's not the greatest, but it'll get better throughout the story. I'm just shocked it's such a long prologue (long for me anyways). xD

I hope everyone likes it! I would LOVE to get some comments on this. Comments will inspire me to update sooner haha. :D