Love of Darkness

Prologue

Always at the right time he shows up. Always love he gives. She might not understand it- why even though she's cold, he's warm- but it's what secretly lifts her up every time she's down. Is she a burden to him? Because how awful it would be, to have someone whom you care for wish you gone. She's a moon; cold, hard and surrounded by darkness- he's her sun.

Does sun need moon? Sun has so many friends, and they understand him; he shines in the blue sky, how could they not? Moon does her job, but she's so far out there… it's harder for people to get to her. Moon wants to turn into raindrops and help sun make the world beautiful. Sun offers moon his kindness- but she needs to figure out her own problems, or else sun would have to stop what he's doing. Would he be okay with that?

Does he even think about her as much as she thinks about him? If she took him back, how could he say no?
Moon will dream, sun will shine, and the world will continue to spin. That's how it should be.
Moon closes her eyes and goes to sleep.

In her dream, there's an angel. Or rather a silhouette, yet she can tell- he's there. For her. In the depths of those beautiful, sparkling soul windows, the glass clean and clear, yet somehow translucent in the dark, is a raging sun. It seems as if it's saying, "What's wrong? Come here, my love." Fire burns inside every inch of his body, melting his bones, leaving him nice and warm. Something there she never saw before- wings… big, dark wings attached to broad shoulders, offering their warmth while the fire eyes glare under long eyelashes, not in anger, but in confusion, or…worry. Yes, he knows something… what is it, my sun? Why is fire flaring up inside your precious soul?

Without thinking- no time to- moon takes a step. Sun cannot be in such a condition, never the way he is now, when he's right before her eyes. 1,000 skies away and she would still fly to him.

"I'm sorry, but I only bring to you my darkness," she says softly. "Sun, what's wrong?" All the while walking forward, like as if an invisible connection draws them to each other.
"The moonlight… is bright." His soft lips tremble; he looks up at her. She realizes that he's trying to come closer to her, in fact his whole body struggles to move, but he's frozen.
"I bring light? Sun asks.
The night is silent, as if everything's listening to the two beings converse.
"You're the light to my darkness."
His giant wings grow bigger, darker than the night itself.
"Don't go-"
She's inches away from his face. The angel looks up at her with a blank expression. What is he thinking? Her sun, why is it in need of light? As sun and moon lock eyes, everything around them is no more.
"I love the darkness," he gently whispers. The sweet scent of his breath catches her heart.
"Why?" She whispers back, hypnotized.
Gentle as an angel's touch should be, he sweeps away a strand of her golden hair, then gazes intensely into her sapphire eyes.
"Without it there would be no sun."
The angel, while keeping his hand in her hair, slowly moves down from her eyes to her lips. They're cold from being abandoned, and while moon cools down raging sun, sun warms up lonely moon. Their arms entangle, both of them embracing what the indescribable and magnificent inner connection makes them feel.

Something happens when darkness and light revive a very tight bond. It never fades. It must be true, then; the two are what give each other life.
The angel flies away.
She wakes up, alive again.