Love of Darkness

1: The Alley

I sat down against a brick wall in one of the alley ways in my town. It was narrow and a little creepy. Pigeons roamed the ground looking for scraps of food. Rats loudly passed by or hid in small crevices. I could see a strip of the street if I looked down to my left, and the grey sky if I looked up. For all I knew there could've been a hobo watching my every move.

I was born and partially raised in San Francisco. Here, remnants of the sixties lingered in the air: tie-dye shirts, dreadlocks, patches with John Lennon quotes on them, marijuana smoke. Black people, white people, asian people, monsters, unicorns. Classy women, sluts, lazy thugs, criminals, scholars. Grey ocean mist matched the dull, depressing sky and the yelps of sea lions reminded everyone this was still Earth.

That city was a good place for me at the time. Having lived for a mere eight years, I hadn't quite understood its colorful history or unique personality, but I was able to enjoy it for what it was.

I was in this dangerous alley way for a reason. I didn't have the intention to run away from my parents. School had just ended and something was wrong with me. For the first time in my life I felt detached. My mind and body felt completely separated from each other. No matter how hard I thought about it I couldn't figure out what emotion I was feeling, if I felt any at all.

My body started to convulse like I was having a seizure. Tears fell from my fearful eyes and my hands clawed at the ground like a cat scratching a carpet. For a second it was hard to breathe; my mouth opened and closed but I could not scream. Between the opening and closing of my eyelids I could make out a dark figure coming my way and my heart became a hammer. BOOM, BOOM, BOOM, banging nails down on the coffin that was coming down on my senses.

It passed through me.
I saw wings and a brown squirrel.
Then everything faded away.

---

"Aye, Jackson, I think it worked, come here and take a look."
"Good job, man. What do we call this one?"
"I don't know yet." Mitch rubbed his chin in thought. "Pigeon?"
Jackson laughed. "No dude, Rat." He paused and took another look at the camera. "Dude look, she's still convulsing! How long is this gonna last? It looks like she has rabies or somethin!"
"It should be over soon."
A dark shadow flied across the screen.
The camera suddenly turned off.
♠ ♠ ♠
For some reason I wrote this in first person instead of third... it should be in third, but I'm too lazy to change it, so for now it will be this way. :)