Bulletproof Love

Chapter Ten

As it turns out, avoiding Vic was a lot harder than Emily had thought it would be. It had been five days now since her second doctor’s appointment, the one where she found out what was wrong with her and he had tried contacting her a few times (three not that she was counting or anything) since then because her mother didn’t know how to keep her mouth shut.

The first time he had called, she picked up the phone and immediately hung it back up when she heard who was on the other end. The second time he called, she ignored it until it stopped ringing, and then it started ringing again so she quickly picked it up and pretended she couldn’t speak English until he got frustrated and hung up. The third time, he didn’t call at all. He showed up at her parent’s house when they were out and knocked on the door (nearly scaring her half to death) and she ended up crawling out her bedroom window and sneaking out the back gate before going to the park down the block (which yes, she realized was a bit ridiculous.)

It wasn’t that she was mad at him, because most of her anger had gone away by now, but she was a stubborn person, and admitting she was wrong was something that had always been difficult for her. Avoiding uncomfortable situations, however, was something that came very easily.

Today it seemed that she wasn’t going to be able to avoid him. He was just as stubborn as she was, and he was persistent; a lethal combination in Emily’s opinion.

She was sitting in the kitchen, watching the Ellen DeGeneres Show on the old 13” TV they kept in the kitchen and eating the Milano cookies her mother hid on top the cupboards, that she liked to think were still a secret. She was too busy laughing at something Ellen had said (because Ellen was hilarious you know) to notice the front door open, and before she knew it the stool she had been sitting on was spun around and she was looking into Vic’s brown eyes. They were usually warm, but this time they were focused, and a little angry.

“Why are you ignoring me?” Were the first words to come out of his mouth, and she honestly didn’t know what to say to him. She doubted ‘because you were right’ was going to work for him. He’d want her to expand on that and she just wasn’t sure if she was ready for that. After a few moments, he sighed, pursing his lips and turning away from her. He began to pace a little, something he rarely ever did. “I just don’t understand what I did to make you so mad at me. I don’t really think it was wrong to want to know that you thought you might be pregnant Emily. That’s something big, and it impacts my life too.” She could tell that this had been on his mind for a while, and she wanted to respond, she just didn’t know what to say.

So she just watched him pace back and forth, nibbling on the cookie in her hand quietly until he stopped, turning to her. “Are you going to say anything?”

“Who ever said I was still mad at you?” She said it calmly, but inside her heart was racing ten million miles a minute. He just looked at her with a somewhat blank look, and that made her even more nervous than she already was.

“Well then if you’re not mad at me why don’t you just come home?” He practically yelled. And that was when she decided that it was now or never, and it was something he needed to know because it was going to impact his life. He was leaving for tour again in a week, this time in the UK and if she didn’t tell him now then she knew she would just keep putting it off until her body did the talking for her.

“I’m pregnant.” Emily kept her face static, waiting a little impatiently for his reaction. He seemed confused, which was a lot better than angry.

“No you’re not.” He shook his head. “You said the test was negative.”

“It was. But I went to the doctor, which I’m sure my mom told you,” Emily rolled her eyes a bit, “and the test was wrong.” That was the main reason she was so reluctant to tell him. She had made such a big deal about it being negative in the first place, that she didn’t know how to tell him that it was wrong.

He didn’t look like he knew what to do. In the end he walked out of the house, slamming the door behind him and leaving her all alone.
♠ ♠ ♠
Here it is! The next chapter. Someone in the comments guessed a while ago what was going to happen, so props to you! Anyway, someone wanted a description of Emily, and I'm not a big fan of putting descriptions into the story, because as a reader I like to picture what I think the character looks like. So for anyone wondering, I found a picture of what I kind of picture Emily to look like.