Bulletproof Love

Chapter Nine

Emily cracked her eyes open slowly, the bright morning sun was pouring through the uncovered bedroom window. The blanket wrapped around her was too hot combined with the warmth the sun provided, so she kicked it down to the bottom of the bed, letting out an aggravated sigh. She didn’t want to be awake. A quick look over at the Mickey Mouse clock told her it was nine o’clock. It wasn’t actually too bad, but she hadn’t gotten much sleep the night before. All night long her stomach had felt unsettled. She hadn’t actually vomited, but she had felt like she was going to for hours, and it was really beginning to worry her. There was no reason she could think of for why this might be happening, besides pregnancy but she had already ruled that out. She knew it wasn’t normal, and she really wanted to find out what the cause was, but she didn’t really want to look for answers on the internet because she’d probably convince herself she had brain cancer or something; so instead she had made a doctor’s appointment instead.

Deciding it was time to get out of bed, she swung her legs over the edge of the mattress. Standing up slowly, Emily stretched her arms above her head. It felt nice to stretch, but that feeling quickly disappeared when the nausea returned. Grunting, she lowered her arms and made her way out of her childhood room, now converted into a sewing room by her mother, and out into the living room. This had been her routine for the last week and a half, since she had walked out of her and Vic’s home. She still thought about him every day. It was hard not to, and she definitely missed him, but she was stubborn (of course she would never admit that) and there was no way she was going to go crawling back to him. How she felt really depended on the day. There were some days all she wanted was to go back home, crawl into bed with Vic and stay there forever. Then there were the days when she just wanted to scream at him.

The first thing she noticed when she walked into the living room was her mother. She could see her through the little square hole in the wall that connected the kitchen to the living room, cooking of course. Her mother always managed to make the best breakfasts out of nothing. They never had a lot of money, so she was always finding creative new things to try with cheaper options. This morning was just not a breakfast kind of morning unfortunately.

“Hey mama.” Walking into the kitchen, Emily greeted her mother with a kiss on the cheek, which she returned with a smile.

“Hey baby. I’m making waffles, how many do you want?” Emily frowned, making a small noise of discontent. Her mother made the best waffles, and she really wanted at least one, but she knew she wouldn’t be able to stomach it.

“None this morning mama.” She shook her head, moving to take a seat at the kitchen table.

“Still not feeling well?” Her mother asked, turning her head from the hot waffle iron to look at her daughter. There was a troubled look etched onto her face, making her look much older than she really was. Emily knew her mother was worried about her, and she really wished she would stop worrying, because it only made her worry about herself even more. Her mother was the kind of woman who kept calm in the worst situations. She was the voice of reason often times, and she didn’t usually let people see if she was scared or worried.

Emily shook her head in response to her mother’s question, mumbling a ‘no’. A small ache was starting to form in the temple region of her head, probably from lack of proper sustenance. As if her mother had read her mind, she tossed a banana onto the table in front of Emily. “At least eat something before your appointment.” Emily picked up the banana and began peeling it. She would eat it, not necessarily to make herself feel better, but her mom.

“Did dad have to go into work today?” She asked as she took a small bite of banana, noticing her father’s absence. It was a Saturday morning, and normally he was there, unless he got called into work. He worked with Vic’s dad painting houses; it was actually how she and Vic had met. It wasn’t a glamorous job, and a lot of the time it didn’t provide them with much money, but it was a job and those were something that were hard to find those days.

“Yeah, he got a call from Victor this morning. Apparently this job’s pretty big.” Her mother smiled, her eyes full of hope. She wondered if she would be like that, when she was her mother’s age, or if she would have just given up on life at that point.

“That’s good,” she nodded, smiling a bit herself. “I should probably get ready, my appointment’s in an hour.” Standing up from the table, she threw her banana peel away and gave her mother another kiss on the cheek before going to change.
♠ ♠ ♠
Boring chapter sorry. Those happen sometimes, but in the next chapter you finally get to find out what's wrong with her, so you have that to look forward to. Also, I'd like to thank you guys for being so understanding and not hating me for being gone so long. You're the best xoxo.