The Princess of Wales

Charlotte, Be Good

"CHARLOTTE ELIZABETH GRACE WALES!"

Oh, so we're using the last name now as well? I looked myself over in the mirror a few times before grabbing my bag and going downstairs. Today we're having brunch at Buckingham Palace to say goodbye to Harry. Father suggested everyone dress nicely but I refused. It made it feel like too much of a celebration, Harry being deployed was nothing to celebrate. I had on sweatpants and a tee shirt. My hair was up in a messy bun and I had no makeup on.

When I reached the end of the stairs, I was greeted by William.

"Oh, you're really in trouble now." He tried keeping a straight face, but I knew he was laughing on the inside. "Father and Granny want to see you in the study."

"Her too?" I asked, a bit shocked. "What did I do now?"

"Come on, I'll go in with you."

I followed after Will as he lead me into our grandmother's study. If she wants to talk to me as well, I must of royally fucked up. But what have I done? I've been doing the same thing for the past two months. We walked in and I shut the door behind us. My father and grandmother just stared at me, which became kind of awkward.

"Can we fight after Harry leaves?" I just about begged. "I really don't wanna do this now. Whatever I've done this time, I'm sorry."

"What the bloody hell is wrong with you?!" Dad started to scream. Yet again, I was getting yelled at. I went to respond, but he completely shut me down. "Running around with a boy from Bradford?! Bradford of all places in England?! BRADFORD?!"

Is he seriously just now catching wind of this? I concealed the smirk that was trying to creep onto my face and straightened up my posture. "What's the big deal? I'm not doing anything wrong."

"Not doing anything wrong?" Grandmother piped up. "You need to start acting like a well behaved princess. You've seen your cousins, Beatrice and Eugene. They don't give this family any trouble. But you? Charlotte, you're in the media every week, always being talked about. You're making this family look bad."

Being compared to my cousins was nothing new, I was used to it. being scolded, I was used to that too. I'm just being myself, it's not my fault they can't handle it. "Can you tell me exactly what I did wrong? Because I spend time with a bloke from Bradford?"

"Charlotte, it's not that he's from Bradford-"

"Are you shitting me? You just said 'Bradford' about three times, I'm pretty sure it has a lot to do with where he's from."

"Fine, you're right. Bradford has a very bad name and the last thing I need is my daughter caught up with some boy who's from there. We've all seen the pictures of the two of you in the news. Staying out at clubs until three in the morning, so intoxicated that you can hardly stand up right. It needs to stop."

"Here's what's going to happen, Charlotte. You're going to stop going out and drinking, you are not to step foot in any club. You are also to stay away from that boy!" Grandmother raised her voice. "You're going to start behaving like a lady."

"What if I don't want to stay away from him?" I challenged the two of them.

"Charlotte-"

"She'll be good!" Will chimed in as he grabbed my arm, ushering me out of the room. "I'll take care of it. Let's just all have a nice meal, for Harry."

Image

"What the hell, Will?!" I yelled, snatching my arm out of his grasp.

"Can you please, for once, just listen to them? For me, at least. Stop going out and making yourself look like a mess. You can still drink behind closed doors."

"Fine. I'll stop going out so much."

"Charlotte-"

"Will, I'll be good."

I agreed to stop going out and getting photographed, at least until things cool down. Mission accomplished, I pissed off my family. But honestly, I didn't expect them to tell me to stay away from Zayn, which I'm not going to do. But if I'm not going out to clubs, they won't know any better.

"What about Zayn?" Will asked

"How do you know his name?"

"Oh, come on, Charli. The whole world knows who One Direction is." he smirked at me. "I don't expect you to stay away from him, but try not to get photographed as much, as hard as that might be. See you in the dining hall."

Will hugged me briefly before disappearing into the next room. I should of went with him, to avoid being face to face with Camilla, who was currently making a bee line toward me. She smiled at me, which actually scared the hell out of me. Camilla only sends a smile my way when she's going to say something rude.

"Who knew you were so much like your mother, Charlotte." She started and I could already tell, I didn't like where this was going. "She had a strong liking for Paki's as well."

My temper flared and I felt my blood pressure rising rapidly. I don't know how, but I stopped myself from punching her in the face. I am a lady, after all. I removed myself from the situation immediately before I lost my temper and did something my family would of punished me for.

"At least my mother had class, unlike you. How does it feel to be the other woman most of your relationship with my father? Clearly, had my mother survived, they would be together right now and you'd be a nobody."

That was a lie. Apparently, my parents couldn't of been more wrong for each other. My family also had no problem expressing their dislike for my mother either. I just needed Camilla to feel like shit, it was the best I could do. Otherwise, I probably would of punched her.

Image

I was silent the whole time during brunch. It wasn't the scolding my father and grandmother gave me, I was used to that sort of thing. I could care less. But after Camilla's comment about Zayn, I felt like if I opened my mouth, nothing good would come out of it. Aside from that, everyone was laughing and joking around the table. It seemed like none of them were worried about Harry being deployed, not even Harry himself.

When I finished my food, I pushed myself away from the table and excused myself. I sat out on the balcony and had a smoke, going through my phone contacts until I got to Zayn's number. The phone rang about three times before being picked up.

"Hey, princess." I smiled when I heard his voice. Wasn't going to admit it, but I was secretly starting to like the nickname Zayn had given me.

"Hey. Are you doing anything?" I asked. "By the way, don't call me princess."

"Just watching the football match with my mates. What's up?"

"Wanted to know if I could borrow your bed."

"Oh, yeah?" I heard his voice perk up. "I can have the lads out in 2 minutes."

"No, you ass." I laughed. "Stay with your mates, you won't even know I'm there."

"Something wrong, Char?"

I sighed, taking another drag of my cigarette. "No, I just don't wanna be around family right now."

"Okay, come over whenever you want."

"Thanks, Zayn." I said as I saw Harry walk out and sit next to me. I said goodbye to Zayn and hung up the phone. "Hey, Harry."

"Are you okay? You didn't say one word in there."

"Sorry." I responded, not really knowing what to say to him. Yes, I'm upset that he's leaving but I also have other problems, problems I don't want to burden Harry with. "Just not having a good day."

"Is it me?"

"Mostly." I let out a nervous laugh. "But, I know everything's gonna be okay, don't worry about it."

"I'm gonna be fine, Charli." Harry said as he threw an arm around my shoulder. "We'll write each other every week, I'm gonna stay alive, and you're gonna stay out of trouble."

"Fine."

"Promise me. Promise me you'll stay out of trouble."

"I promise I won't do anything to intentionally get myself in trouble."

"Good enough." Harry said. I stood up to give him a proper hug goodbye once his car arrived, which was taking him to the airport. "Oh, stop your crying, you bloody pussy."

I nodded my head, stiffening up my upper lip. I pulled away, stood up straight, and gave my brother a proper military salute. "Captain Harry Wales."

"I love you, sis. Be good."

Harry walked back inside to say goodbye to our family. I leaned over the railing of the balcony as I lit up another cigarette. I watched Harry and my father walk outside to his car. Dad gave Harry one last hug before he got into the car and was on his way. I stood out on the balcony, crying like a baby for a good ten minutes before finally forcing myself to stop. I walked back inside and grabbed my car keys, ready to leave.

I passed the sitting room where my family was having tea. I would of left the house unnoticed, if it wasn't for my father calling after me.

"Charlotte! Where are you going?"

"OUT!"