The Princess of Wales

Brunch

”Charli, its your turn! Do the keg stand!” Amelia encouraged me, a room full of people cheering me on. Some were mutual friends with the girls and I, some I didn’t know very well.

“Fine, fine!” I gave in. “I’ll do it, but Kitty you have to hold my dress down!”

“Deal, babes!” Kitty grinned as I went upside down


That was a clip from a video thats hit the internet. The video is still under the radar, but its only a matter of time before it hits global media. Have you ever done something then immediately regretted it, knowing it probably wasn’t the best idea? That was one of those times. I knew I shouldn’t of acted that way when I didn’t personally know everyone there. That’s probably the only thing I regret from my South Africa trip. Aside from that little mishap, my trip was great. I got to relax and party with my cousins. Other things hitting the internet are pictures of us at some of the clubs. They weren’t that bad, same shit pictures that pop up of me when I’m in London. All in all, I think I did pretty well with staying out of trouble for the most part.

The one thing I didn’t do was figure out what the hell I’m doing with Zayn. I go back to University in two weeks and he’s getting ready to release an album in a couple months, we’re both going to be super busy. Maybe this whole thing will just phase itself out and I won’t have to deal with it. It’ll be great, I won’t have to completely let him go and we can even still be friends. No harm, no foul. Here’s to hoping this idea works out as well in reality as it is in my head. Zayn and I exchanged a few texts during our time away, but we weren’t carrying on full conversations or anything. As soon as the two of us were both back in London, we met up at his flat immediately.

“So, did you miss me?” Zayn asked.

“Eh, not really.” I teased him.

“I don’t believe you.” He said, pulling me in closer to him.

“I’m laying naked in your bed, what do you think?” I laughed. “`I’m hungry, can we get some brunch?”

“I never understood the concept of brunch.”

“Its only the best meal of the day, love.” I laughed.

“Not where I’m from.” Zayn laughed. “I think it’s just an excuse to drink alcohol with breakfast.”

“That’s one way to look at it. Now get up, we’re going to my favorite place.”

“Whatever you say, Princess.” Zayn got up and followed me into the bathroom for a shower. I didn’t even go home yet, so I had my bags from my trip with me. After we got ready, a sent a text to my handler, Benny. Basically, the palace is paying him to let me do whatever the hell I want. He lets me be and keeps his distance as long as he knows where I’m at when I’m out in public. God forbid something were to happen to me on his watch, my family would probably have him killed. So I told him of the restaurant we were going to, Benny will probably show up in the area, maybe sitting some tables away from us.

“This place is pretty fancy.” Zayn said. We were seated outside, on the second floor balcony area. I ordered a latte to start off with, Zayn just got regular coffee. “I feel like I’m under dressed.”

“Oh shut up, you’re not.” I laughed, examining his outfit. He was wearing a pair of jeans, black boots, a grey tee and sunglasses covering his face. He didn’t bother doing his hair and it looked a bit unkept, but I thought he looked perfect. I took notice to the new tattoo on his forearm, he didn’t have that when he left for the states. I reached out and brushed my hand over it. “New ink?”

“You probably think it looks ridiculous.” He laughed, taking a sip of his coffee. “I’m just showing my appreciation for comic books.”

“What does your mum say about all these tattoos you’re getting?” I asked.

“She think’s I’m mad.” He laughed. “I told her when I buy a house, I’m gonna graffiti all over it, she thinks I’m crazy.”

“Not ready to buy a home yet?” I asked, curious. He’s a millionaire already, I wonder why he hasn’t bought an actual home yet. “I love your flat, but you can’t graffiti all over it.”

“I’m not sure where I want to buy one yet, I’m not in a huge rush.” He said. “The first home I bought was for my family. I always told my mum, one day I’ll buy her a home that’s all hers. Seeing the look on her face when I finally did it, it was the greatest thing I’ve accomplished.”

I was smiling ear to ear, watching him talk about his mother and what he’s done for her. “That’s the sweetest thing I ever heard!”

“Aw, stop.”

“I’m serious.” I said, not knowing how he must of felt to be able to give back to his mother. I grew up with the silver spoon in my mouth, he didn’t. But somehow I think he has a much richer life than I. He knows what its like to have nothing, so he’ll do what he can to make sure his family never goes without. I admire him for that. “I can’t imagine how proud you were. How proud she was of you.”

“It was the greatest feeling in the world, to make my mum proud.” Zayn smiled. “Proud to call me her son. Anyway, have you decided to talk to your dad?”

“Yes.” I said. “I’m gonna do it the day I go back to school. So if it turns to shit, I’ll be leaving for a few months anyway.”

“When will you be back?”

“Probably for Christmas, I haven’t really decided if I want to come home before that. Now that Harry’s away, I don’t see myself spending time with dear old dad. I’ll probably visit William if anything.”

“And me, yeah?”

“You? Hm…maybe.” I laughed. “Won’t you be busy?”

“Oh, extremely.” Zayn said. “Maybe we can hang out at some point though, when I’m not busy.”

“Oh! I never asked you how the states were.”

“Not bad.” He said. “Just some promo for the album. We had some down time there, but didn’t really do anything. I pretty much laid in my hotel room drawing, I did one of you by the way.”

“You did?” I laughed. “Why didn’t you show me? I wanna see! What on earth would make you draw me?”

“Well, the one night, I was laying in bed bored. I started thinking of what I’d be doing if I was at home, my mind went to you.” He confessed. “So now you’re in my sketch book.”

“You little bastard, I can’t believe you didn’t show me!”

“I thought you’d think it was weird!” He said. “I’ll show you later, I promise. No judging either, I was tired.”

“You’re an artist, Zayn. I know it won’t be shit.”

I ordered a mimosa to go with my eggs Benedict and pancakes, I ordered one for Zayn as well, making him drink with me before noon. I stared at him the whole time during our brunch. Sure, we were keeping a nice conversation but I could hardly keep my eyes off him as I watched him talk. If anything, being away for a whole week has only made me miss him and want to be with him more. The complete opposite of what I wanted.

“Can I help you with something?” He asked, finally noticing my fixation on him.

“I could just lean over this table and kiss you.” I blurted out, receiving a smile from him.

“I wouldn’t hate it if you did.” Zayn grinned. I knew I couldn’t do that though, we were out in public. Although I don’t think any paparazzi can see us up here, you never who’s around with a camera. It wouldn’t look too good anyway, he just told the world last week we were only friends. You surely don’t make out with your friends. At least not in public.

“As tempting as that is, we’re gonna keep our hands and mouths to ourselves.” I said.

“You sure?” He asked. “I can be seductive when I want to be.”

“Oh I know you can, Zayn.” I grinned. “But we’re not gonna go there.”

“Just one wouldn’t hurt.”

“Stop it!”

We enjoyed our meal and then got ready to head out. I decided it was time to go home, unpack my bags and all. Honestly, I did think it was very healthy to spend the entire day with Zayn. Sure, I’ll be going back over later tonight, we made plans to go to the club with Victoria and Danny. He still has to show me that picture as well! When I got home, I had full intentions on avoiding my father and heading straight to my bedroom. That was until I saw him and noticed William standing there with him.

“Charli!” Will called out.

“WILLS!” I ran over to him, throwing my arms around his neck. “I feel like I haven’t seen you in ages!”

“I know, I’ve been gone a bit.” He said. “How was South Africa?”

“It was fun. I needed a nice little holiday. Is Kate here?”

“No, she’s visiting with her sister.”

“Were you behaved, Charlotte?” My father cut in.

“I was in typical Charlotte Wales form.” I said. “Nothing you lot haven’t already seen.”

“Did you talk to your brother?” Dad asked.

“I did.” I smiled. “Looks like he’s doing well over there, that makes me happy.”

“Well. dad has some good news for you.” Will said.

I froze up there for a second. Good news? Am I being rewarded for something? I can’t see why. My father may not know about my South Africa trip yet, but I know he will soon. “Good news? What’s this about?”

“Good news for you, Charlotte.” Dad said. “Not so much myself.”

“Go on.” Now I was intrigued.

“Against my wishes, your grandparents think it’s time for you to have your own residency.”

“WHAT?!” I yelled. “You mean I get to move the hell out of here?!”

“Gee, Char. Don’t sound so upset about it.” Will made a sarcastic joke.

“When is this happening? Where am I going? Why the hell is this happening?”

“In January, when Harry comes home. Your grandmother wants to give the two of you your own wing over at St. James’s.” Dad said. “I told her it wasn’t a good idea, but she insisted it was.”

My grandmother is giving Harry and I our own wing? A residence completely separate from that of my father? Is she out of her fucking mind?! On what planet was this a good idea in her eyes? “I think the idea is bloody brilliant!”

“Is granny off her rocker?” Will laughed. “These two living alone together?”

“Hey!” I said.

“I don’t wanna talk about it, William.” Dad said. “I guess you can start packing your things when you come home for Christmas break. Remember, you can always say no, Charlotte.”

“Unlikely.” I said. Father was off to do some business so Will and I went for a walk outside in the gardens. Clarence House, my current home, shares a garden with St. James’s Palace. I took a moment to stare at it, my new home. Even though it’s a little too close to my father, it’s much better than living under his roof. He also has offices there, so I’m sure I’ll be seeing him at some point. St. James’s is much bigger than Clarence House though, it’s home to a lot of members of the Royal Family. “Can you believe it?” I asked Will.

“Can I believe our grandmother thinks this is a good idea? You and Harry living together…no.” He laughed. “This has BAD written all over it.”

“Oh please, Wills. We all can’t be the golden child like you.” I laughed. “Besides, Harry is grown now, nothing like he was when he was my age. There’s not much trouble we can get into together.”

“I agree, Harry has grown, but sometimes he doesn’t use the best judgement. I think I get the whole idea of this though.”

“What’s the idea then?”

“Granny is gonna use the two of you to force each other to grow up.” Will said.

“How so?”

“Thank about it, Char.” He started. “Harry is gonna feel responsible for his baby sister, you. It’s gonna force him to be mature so he can help you mature. Actually, she’s a genius.”

“I think I’m doing quite well, thank you.”

“Not well enough.”

“Will, what do they want from me? I’m never gonna be the perfect princess they want me to be, it’s too much pressure. I honestly am trying to be better and I think I’ve improved. It’s never gonna be enough for them.”

Will lead me to one of the benches and we had a seat. “They’re afraid of you becoming a walking tabloid, with the partying and the controversial videos. Running around with Zayn Malik. They don’t like it. I agree, you are doing well and I know you’re only gonna get better. I tell them all the time that you’re in university and you’ll grow out of it. Just like Harry did.”

“What makes me so different from Harry?”

“The media.” He said. “I believe that’s what it is. Social media wasn’t this big when Harry was your age. Pictures of any of us are passed around a thousand times over before we even catch wind of them being out there. Before we can shut down any potential scandal, it’s usually too late. It’s not you, Char.”

“They wouldn’t care this much if dad wasn’t going to be King. If uncle Andrew was, then I could be going about my business.”

“I want you to remember something, Char. No matter how inconvenient or unfair this all may seem, there’s always someone out there who is worse off than you. You are very lucky to be in the position you’re in.” He said. “We can’t change the cards we’re dealt, just how we play them.”