Just A Daydream Away

Four Hours

Like I said, I wasn't waiting very long. The ambulance arrived and wheeled the patient in, followed by a seemingly frantic man with a lip ring and gauges. The EMTs brought the patient to the nearest bed and told them that a nurse would be right in to see them. They then came over to me and explained a few things, gave me names and vitals from the ride over. I wrote everything down and thanked them as they left. I sighed and reviewed my information once more. Alexander Gaskarth, male, twenty four years of age, no major medical emergencies on his record. They also told me that the man with him was named James Flyzik, he was Alexander's tour manager. Great, its a musician. I put my chart under my arm and grabbed stethoscope, pulling it around my neck as I walked over. I gently pulled the curtain back and saw James, the tour manager, texting on his phone. Alexander had his hands over his face and was mumbling a few choice words.

“Hello. I'm Nurse Bates. I heard you took a spill.” I said. Alexander moved his hands and looked at me with a smile.

“Yeah. I hit the overhanging speaker and fell.” He said with a little laugh. At least he's laughing.

“I heard, sounds fun.” I said, writing that he was coherent on my sheet.

“Excuse me, how long will this take?” James asked. I looked up and then looked at my watch.

“Depends on how quickly I can get things done. At the most, maybe four hours.” I said. He let out an aggravated sigh and ran a hand through his hair.

“Alright. Alexander, I'm going to just look at your head and face, make sure nothing's split open or leaking.” I said, placing the chart down and moving over to the side of the bed.

“Call me Alex. And you stare all you want, baby.” he said with a wink. I rolled my eyes, although I was smiling. I checked his head for cuts and checked his ears and nose for leaks. The tour manager was in and out, talking rapidly on the phone.

“Okay. I'm going to just be checking your eyes really quick. Just look behind me.” I said, shining a light in his eyes to make sure his pupils dilated properly.

“Your eyes are beautiful.” he said, catching me off guard.

“Oh.....um....thank you.” I said, going over to check his blood pressure.

“Sorry, was that weird?” he asked.

“Just a little. Don't worry about it.” I said, writing a few things down and checking his heart rate. “Okay. I'll be back in about fifteen minutes to check you again.” I said. He nodded and the manager came back as I walked out.

For the next hour and a half, I would come back and check on Alex, making sure he was okay and everything stayed in normal range. After my final check, wrote everything down and handed the chart to the head nurse, who then gave it to one of the emergency doctors. He reexamined Alex and then had me discharge him. James was still on the phone, telling someone on the other end where the Hospital was and where they can go. Alex pulled on his beanie and walked over to me, stuffing his hands in his pockets.

“Thank you, for putting up with me.” he said.

“Don't worry about it. You've been the easiest patient of the night.” I said, smiling at him. He smiled back and laughed a little, making me smile a little more.

“Uh....so...is it....unprofessional for me to give you my number?” he asked.

“Hmm...I don't think so. Unless I gave you mine.” I replied. He nodded and searched his pockets, pulling out an old receipt for Starbucks.

“Can I borrow your pen?” he asked. I nodded and handed him a pen while he wrote out a number and then gave me the paper and my pen, throwing in a smile for good measure. “I'm on tour for another few days but I'll be home by Friday next week.” he said.

“Okay. I guess I'll call you.” I said. James, came over, telling Alex that they needed to leave.

“Oh, hey wait! What's your name?” Alex asked as James started to leave.

“Ashley.” I replied. He smiled and nodded, repeating my name to himself.

“I look forward to that call!” he said, running out after James. Carla chuckled behind me as I was handed another chart for my newest patient. After spending nearly three hours with a cute musician, I was going to spend another two with the worst kind of kid; The vomit prone. Oh well, at least my night started out great.
♠ ♠ ♠
Yay!
Got this one out!
I actually researched concussions so I got this right!
And yeah.....that's it
Thank you guys for reading this!