Status: Thank you for reading, commenting, and subscribing!!!

Missed Calls

7

It had been three days on vacation for Valentina. She wasn’t enjoying any part of it. It was just her grandparents, her aunt, and herself. Her aunt had done nothing but bitch at Valentina for really no reason. She remained quiet and hid behind her dark sunglasses, hiding the tears. Her aunt had no reason to attack her yet everyday she did. Valentina just wanted to hurry up and get to her mom’s house already but it was her aunt’s vacation and she wanted to take a very scenic route which Valentina tended to sleep through it all.

They decided that they would arrive at the house in Washington on Sunday. Valentina was not happy, she just wanted to go home and see Tilly and Ryan. She was homesick and hadn’t really talked to Ryan since she left. She wondered if he had just forgotten about her. She missed him, did he even miss her? He really hadn’t made any contact with her at all, which really made her sad.

She knew that the people there were family but they made her feel like an outcast. Her grandparents were welcomed but she was not. They acted like Valentina wasn’t even there. She sighed and turned on her laptop to play a few games of solitaire and listen to Peirce the Veil. Her grandmother and other aunt Brandi began cooking, leaving Valentina alone in the living room. Her grandpa and the aunt they had been traveling with Aunt Jane all went on a train ride that was going to take all day.

After about five hours of being in Aunt Brandi’s steaming hot house, Valentina got a text message from David.

David: where are u?

Valentina: I was forced to come see my mom in Washington and she’s not even here because she went camping.

David: So is this y Ryan has been acting weird is it because u aren’t here?

Valentina: What do you mean acting weird??

David: He is acting different it all started bout three days ago

Valentina: oh idk maybe. I don’t think I’d have that much effect on him. Maybe he’s just tired?

David: well he is being different

Valentina: hmm idk then.

Valentina quickly created a new message and sent it to Ryan.

Valentina: Hey are you okay?

Ryan: Ya y?

Valentina: just wondering.

She quickly texted Tilly and her other best friend, Megan who was also on vacation at that time. Once she told them what was going on they started agreeing that Ryan did probably miss her. It just surprised Valentina because she really never knew that he cared that much to let it show. She was used to him being stone cold on the outside and never really letting anyone else see that he was upset. In a way it did make her feel a bit special, but she tried not to get her hopes up in the fact that he might have been showing feelings for her. He usually had a way of making her think something that wasn’t true at all.

The rest of the day she spent at her aunts with her grandmother and Aunt Brandi. She dreaded having to stay with her mom the next night. She would be staying at her mother’s house for the remaining time she had there and every year when they were out there, a fight always broke out. Not really between Valentina and her mother but between Valentina and her stepdad, Craig. He was Muslim and not a very good one at that. He ate pork and drank beer regularly. Craig had a bit of resentment towards Valentina for her being her mother’s first child. He was an alcoholic and had a tendency to lash out at Valentina when he was drunk. She just hoped that this year that wouldn’t happen and she could just be happy.