Status: Thank you for reading, commenting, and subscribing!!!

Missed Calls

8

Valentina was actually starting to have a good time at her mother’s house. She spent a lot of time with her siblings. Her little brother especially enjoyed having her around. He was almost like her little shadow, following her wherever she went. He always wanted to hug her or have her play a game with him, which she was more than happy to do. She adored him because he’d say cute things like about how she was pretty or smelt nice.

Her sisters were a bit different. Her stepsister adored her but her half-sister acted like she wanted nothing to do with her half the time. Valentina and her half-sister were too much alike so they butted heads constantly. Even though Valentina was supposed to be more mature than her 12 year old half-sister, Envy, she couldn’t help but stoop down to her level of making faces and calling names.

Valentina and her mom we’re getting along fine. They even went shopping together and she made Valentina’s favorite foods. She was having a lot of fun with her family even when they were watching the Olympics, which she did not like very well. She’d rather be watching Awkward. on MTV rather than something about athletics.

****

On Saturday it was time for the family’s BBQ that they had every year. Half of the day was spent playing Rockband in her cousin Stacy’s house. She found that she was pretty good at playing the drums on the game. While all of the kids played video games inside, the adults we’re outside drinking or smoking.

“Here, pound the rest down but that’s all you get.” Her favorite cousin, Adam, smiled and handed her the rest of his Bud Light.

She pounded it back then he disposed of the can and put his arm around her shoulders, “When you turn 21, we’re gonna party.”

Valentina laughed and agreed then talked with her cousin for a while before heading inside. She soon found that everyone had begun to ignore her. She was going to go home with her grandma and grandpa who didn’t really want her around all of the drinking, but she stayed because her mother asked. Her mom agreed to let her talk on the phone to Ryan, since they hadn’t talked in a while. Adam went home with his mom leaving Valentina alone with her siblings and a few other cousins around their age. The adults we’re all in the back, drinking and smoking. Ryan called Valentina and they talked for about an hour.

It was two in the morning and everyone was still up either drinking or playing games, so Valentina and Ryan continued to talk. She was sitting on the floor in the back room where her aunt said to go so she wouldn’t be disturbed. She sat right next to the outlet so she could charge her phone and talk at the same time. Her mom had no problem with her talking on the phone so she just continued having conversation with Ryan.

He was talking about taking her out for ice cream when the door opened and her stepdad stood in the doorway. She was focused on what Ryan was talking about and only saw him open his mouth.

“What?” She asked, looking in his direction.

Craig narrowed his eyes at her and snapped, “What? Don’t you fucking talk to me like that! I’m fucking sick of your attitude!”

“I don’t have an attitude, I just asked what you wanted.” She tried to remain calm.

He glared, “I asked what you were doing.”

“I’m on the phone.” She pointed to her IPhone that was still in a current call with Ryan who was most likely listening to everything.

Craig glared, “Get off the phone.”

“No. Mom said I could-”

He cut her off by charging at her and pulling the phone charger out of the wall, swinging it at her, hitting her in the face with it then tossing it to the ground before trying to take her phone.

“Give that to me!” He shouted.

Valentina quickly became scared and scrambled to her feet, running out of the room and hanging up on Ryan. She raced outside, shutting the door a bit louder than intended. She quickly raced over to the table that her cousin Stacy, Rachel and Rick were sitting around with Valentina’s mom. She burst into tears and wrapped her arms around her mother, trying to explain what just happened.

Before she could get too far, Craig ran outside and shouted, “Don’t you fucking slam that door!”

“Whoa! Calm down! What’s going on?” Stacy quickly shot up and stood ready to hold him back if he tried to go at Valentina.

He pointed at Valentina with fire in his eyes, “She fucking disrespected me.”

“No I didn’t! You asked a question, I didn’t hear it then you attacked me!” She sobbed.

He started moving towards her and Stacy and Rick we’re quick to hold him back. Rachel ran in the house to get the kids and quickly brought them outside.

“Take her in house, away from him.” She ordered and they quickly followed her orders.

When they took her to her cousins room, Valentina quickly explained to them what happened the cried some more. She called Ryan back and told him everything then cried even more. He was upset at everything that just happened, he wanted to call the police but that would cause a lot of family drama for her which he didn’t want to do. Ryan almost felt like he was dying inside when he heard her hyperventilating and sobbing. He talked to her until she calmed down then they got off the phone, but he continued to text her to make sure she was okay.

Valentina called her grandma and cried to her, telling her everything. When the adults found out that she had called her grandma, they were instantly mad. Telling her that she had no right to do that but her grandmother had always told her to call her if anything like this happened. There were two more phone calls made to calm her down until she completely stopped crying. It was decided that she was to stay the night at Stacy’s house and in the morning someone would take her over to her grandparents. The whole night, it was hard for Valentina to sleep because she was afraid that he would come attack her again. She was just glad to be going home on Monday.