Status: Comments are my motivation!

This Could Be All I've Waited For

Lie Awake and Dream of the Endless Possibilities

“Cady,” Jack whispered my name softly.

I must have fallen asleep somewhere between Die Hards. I opened my eyes and found Jack smiling down at me.

“We have to leave soon so I can make bus call,” he told me sadly.

I groaned because after I took him back to the venue I had to rush to class. I really hadn’t thought this through when I took him home with me. “When is this tour over again?” I asked as I sat up rubbing the sleep from my eyes.

Jack rolled his eyes at me knowing that I knew when the tour ended and that I was just giving him a hard time. “Go get ready,” he ordered pointing to my bathroom.

I did as I was told chuckling lightly as I slid out of bed.

-----------------------------------------------

“You could have kept him, ya know?” Alex teased as Jack and I walked onto the bus.

“He doesn’t mean that,” Flyzik says smacking Alex and stopping Jack before he could run off the bus and back to my car.

“It’s only like three weeks until the end of the tour,” Rian said giving Jack a look that clearly read that he was being ridiculous by Rian’s standards.

“And I’ll be coming back out for my thanksgiving break which starts in a week and a half,” I added giving Jack’s hand a squeeze.

“Until then expect stupid random texts even when you’re busy,” Jack said taking his hand from mine to take my face in both of his hands before kissing my forehead.

“You do that already,” I pointed out pulling at the bottom of his shirt.

Jack’s face turned into a thoughtful mask. “Is sexting allowed?” he asked pursing his lips and looking down at me.

I shook my head furiously. “No definitely not,” I said hearing the rest of the guys on the bus laughing pretty hard.

Jack grinned devilishly raising his eyebrows. “Maybe I’ll surprise you,” he teased.

“I will not reply,” I promised trying to hold back a laugh but failing to keep a smile from my lips.

He kissed my cheek laughing against my skin. “This is going to be so much fun,” he giggled.

I rolled my eyes, “I’m glad you’ve found something to keep yourself busy,” I told him burying my face in his chest.

“Time to go,” Flyzick called, “You tagging along, Cadence?”

I groaned because I wanted to say yes but I knew that I couldn’t pull a stunt like that for a while. I shook my head and pulled Jack closer.

“I’ll see you soon,” Jack promised squeezing me back tightly.

I nodded before reaching up and kissing him softly. I pulled away giving the guys all a wave before turning and walking towards the door. Jack followed behind with a hand pressed against the small of my back. I took the last step off the bus while Jack held the door for me.

“I’ll see you in two weeks,” he assured me leaning down to kiss me.

I nodded, “less than that actually,” I corrected kissing him again.

He smiled and looked like he was about to say something when he stopped short. I raised my eyebrows finding his actions odd; Jack never thinks before he says anything, and even if he did it wouldn’t stop him from saying it. Jack shook his head and bit his lip looking at me through his lashes.

“Pull yourself together Barakat you’re starting to get weird,” I teased as I walked backwards toward my car.

“I should probably sleep next time,” he called to me.

“You didn’t sleep?” I called back astonished that he’d managed to stay up the whole night without waking me up.

He chuckled and shook his head. “Too busy enjoying your sleep talking,” he teased.

I felt my face grow warm. I hadn’t talked in my sleep since I was a kid.

“You’re lying,” I called back hoping that he was in fact lying.

Jack shook his head, “No you were definitely talking in your sleep,” he said sounding smug.

“What did I say?” I called to him opening my car door. He was about to answer when I cut him off, “Whoa never mind don’t say it out loud,” I said holding a hand up.

Jack laughed loudly and I rolled my eyes. “Go to class!” he shouted at me.

I saluted him before blowing him a kiss and climbing into my car.

He laughed “catching” my kiss and holding it to his heart and waving goodbye.

-------------------------------------------

“How was your weekend?” Momma asked as she ‘helped’ Dad with dinner.

I’m sure that was meant to be some sort of dig in reference to them having been gone for most of it. Though, I couldn’t imagine why she’d waited nearly halfway into the week to ask about it. I rolled my eyes, “It was pretty uneventful after Thursday night,” I told her shrugging.

“What happened on Thursday?” Daddy asked looking confused. Obviously that hadn’t expected me to have a life without them home.

“All Time Low had a show at the Masquerade so I hung out there after my classes,” I told them.

“That’s all?” Momma asked giving me a suggestive look.

I watched my fingers as I flattened my hands against the counter tops. I shrugged, “Jack spent the night and we watched the Die Hard movies,” I knew that Momma didn’t believe me but she didn’t exactly have to.

“Just movies?” Momma asked.

“Rita, not right now I don’t want details,” Daddy mumbled giving Mom a sour look.

I giggled, “There are no details to give we really did just watch movies,” I promised rolling my eyes at the two of them.

They both gave me looks that I knew meant that they didn’t believe me but that was okay. I shrugged and shook my head at them unsure of what to say that could make them believe me, and they just laughed realizing how uncomfortable they had just made me.

It was then that I realized that I hadn’t told them what I was planning to do the following semester and I should probably tell them before I actually go through with it so they feel like they got a say in.

After we’d gotten a rein on our laughter I cleared my throat which made both of my parents sober up and give me expectant looks which I hadn’t been expecting.

“I have something to tell you guys actually,” I started off awkwardly trying not to make eye contact because they were both giving me the stare down.

“Oh my God you’re pregnant,” Momma said covering her mouth her eyes widening in shock.

“NO!” I shouted surprised that she would think that. “I’m just going to try to get an all online schedule next semester so I can go out and see Jack more,” I said before either of them could throw out any other guesses as to what my news could be.

Dad let out an exaggerated sigh of relief. “That is something I’m much more equipped to deal with,” he said seeming happy that Momma was wrong.

“When will you be home?” Momma asked obviously finding that to be only concern.

I hadn’t really thought much about that but I came up with an answer easily enough. “Whenever they go out of the country I’ll probably come home. I might not stay out with them for whole tours or anything maybe just a week or two at a time or maybe just random points for a night or two. The point is that I’ll have a more flexible schedule so that whenever it’s okay for me to be on the tour I can go and still get my work done,” I explained feeling like I was rambling.

“As long as you get your work done and finish off your degree then I’m supportive of your decisions,” Dad said smiling at me.

I nodded glad that it didn’t turn into an argument where I had to justify my actions. I wanted this and there wasn’t much that my parents could do to make me change my mind. Now I just had to convince the dean that I was a responsible adult and I could handle taking on a change in my schedule at the end of my college career.

-------------------------------------------------

I couldn’t sleep that night. In just a few hours I would be pleading my case to the dean of the business college of my school. That alone was enough to keep me on my toes but it wasn’t the only thing keeping me awake.

For some reason I couldn’t stop thinking about the morning after the concert. The point where Jack and I were actually saying goodbye he had looked like was going to say something when he just stopped. I couldn’t get past the fact that Jack never holds anything back and it made me nervous to think that he had something that he’d almost said.

What could possibly keep Jack from speaking his mind? He’d seemed so shy in that moment…

--------------------------------------------------

I frowned at my pinstriped pencil skirt as I waited for the dean’s secretary to tell me I could go in for my meeting. I wasn’t sure why I’d chosen the pinstripes for today. I decided to dress nicely because I thought it might make me look more sure of my future…. I don’t know it sounded like such a good idea when I woke up that morning.

I frowned at the modest heels I’d chosen. Were heels too much? Should I have chosen flats instead? I should have worn pants the skirt isn’t right. I probably should have left my hair down too. I felt too bottled up.

I sighed to myself knowing that I was nervous over nothing there wasn’t much the dean could do to keep me from actually signing up for the classes I wanted unless they go into the program and block me out.

My phone vibrated in the pocket of my blazer and I pulled it out quickly because it was so quiet in the small room and the secretary eyed me at the sound.

A text message from Jack.

“If I sent you a picture of my privets would you return the favor?”

I did my best to try and laugh it off without replying and returned the phone to my pocket. The secretary’s desk phone rang taking her attention from me, which I was grateful for. Though, it wasn’t long before her phone call had ended and my phone decided to vibrate again. I was hoping that this time it was someone else because lord knows that the boy doesn’t know when to stop.

Of course it was a message from Jack. A picture message of his genitalia.

I literally choked on air.

And he couldn’t just leave it at a picture because he wouldn’t be Jack if he did.

“I eagerly await your reply ;)”

Of course that made me want to laugh but because I was choking already the laugh came out as a strangled cry and the secretary obviously had no idea how to react.

“Are you alright?” the secretary asked raising a cautious eyebrow.

I pulled myself together as much as possible clearing my throat and nodding my head. She gave me an uncertain look, but her phone rang so her attention was directed elsewhere.

“Mr. Wane will see you now,” she told me still eyeing me strangely as she pointed towards his door.

I gave her a smile and attempted not to make a fool out of myself any further and shoved my phone back into the pocket of my blazer making a mental note to murder Jack later.

-------------------------------------------------

The meeting had ended with good news; my schedule for the following semester would be entirely online! And since I had gotten all of the business portion of the day out of the way I could direct my attention to my phone.

I rolled my eyes at the messages still on my notifications as I unlocked my phone and went straight to Jack’s number.

He answered on the second ring, “You know something tells me that sexting is supposed to happen both ways,” a joke evident in his voice.

I sighed heavily. “I was in a meeting with the dean,” I told him mildly.

“You didn’t tell me you had a meeting with your dean!” he exclaimed laughing loudly, “God it’s too bad he didn’t get a look at your phone.”

I tried not to smile but it happened anyway, “Well his secretary thinks I’m a complete moron,” I told him hoping that made this all the more worth it for him.

“I have to best comedic timing,” he said still laughing.

I grinned as a thought popped into my head. “Well I hope you’re still laughing when I tweet this picture out because I know I will be,” I told him knowing full well that I would never do a thing like that.

He gasped on the other end of the phone, “You would not,” he stated astonished.

I pursed my lips in mock thought even though he couldn’t see me.

“I guess your reaction was enough for now but just know I still have the picture, Mister.”

He was silent for a moment probably trying to figure out a good way to respond to his girlfriend blackmailing him with a picture of his penis.

“So why were you meeting with your dean?” he asked clearly deciding that ignoring the problem was for the best.

“That is something that you’ll just have to wait to find out,” I told him wanting to wait to tell him in person.

“You’re going to make me wait until next Tuesday?” he demanded knowing exactly what I’d meant.

I chuckled, “It isn’t even a full week away,” I reasoned rolling my eyes.

“That’s five days!” he cried, “It’s only two days short of being a week.”

“And you will live,” I promised as I made my way to my car.
♠ ♠ ♠
This chapter is a little all over the place... hopefully not in a confusing way.

Thank you to call of the wild for naming this chapter! Sorry the title doesn't really have much to do with the content :)

I'll get back to writing now so I can get the next chapter up soon!