Welcome to the Family

1/1

Demi Lovato and her tattooed lover – Is this what she needs right now?

“Are they being serious right now?” I groaned as I read the headline. Tattooed lover. He has a fucking name. I read further on in the online article and that's where I spotted it. Recently divorced Matt Sanders, better known by his stage name M Shadows, accompanied Demi out on a date to the movies in LA this weekend gone. They just had to throw the divorce in there didn't they, make me seem like some fucking home wrecker. I picked up my iPhone from my desk beside me and open up my text conversation with Matt.

To Matt: We have a problem :/ xo

From Matt: What's up babe? X

To Matt: At this moment in time, I'm reading an article online about Demi Lovato out on a date with RECENTLY divorced Matt Sanders :( xo

From Matt: I'll be right over x


It wasn't long before there was a knock on my door and I opened it to see Matt smiling at me. He leaned down and kissed me softly before pulling away and entering the house. “Okay what's going on?” He asked as we made our way to the living room where I had my laptop set up.

“I'm worried, what if everyone thinks I'm the reason for the divorce?” I was terrified. I had a pretty good reputation, I don't think I could handle the backlash of people thinking we had been involved in an affair that resulted in the end of a marriage.

“Baby don't worry, nobody is going to think that.” He said it in such a reassuring tone that I almost believed him. I just couldn't shake this worried feeling in the pit of my stomach.

“Are you sure? What about the guys' girlfriends and wives? They're all friends with Valary. What if they instantly dislike me.” I brought my hands up to my mouth and began biting my nails. He grabbed my hands and pulled them away from my mouth, thank god, I just got my nails done a few days ago.

“Dem what you need to remember is, the girls are my friends too. They aren't going to choose sides. I didn't cheat on Val. I never cheated on her. I just didn't love her anymore. She was devastated when I wanted a divorce I'll admit that but the girls have nothing to be vengeful for. They're all going to love you. You are so talented and you're such a sweet and kind hearted person. Don't worry about what other people think okay baby?” He placed his hands on my cheeks and stroked my cheekbone. He had such a way with words, he could always calm me down with one of his little monologues.

“Thank you.” I whispered just as he placed his lips on mine. This is where I wanted to stay, right now in this moment. “How about we watch some tv and order take out?” I nodded at his suggestion as he turned on the television. I cuddled into his side and sighed in contentment.

...

I stared at myself in the mirror and tugged at my t-shirt nervously. I was officially meeting Matt's group of friends today and to say I was nervous would be a complete understatement. I didn't know how exactly they were going to react to me. Matt had said that he hadn't actually mentioned me to the girls that much, since they were always so close with Val. The guys on the other hand knew about me since the day we bumped into each other while leaving the studio.

“Okay Demi that's it for today, you sounded really great on that last note.” I sighed with relief. I had been in this place for 14 grueling hours and now I could go home and curl up and catch up on Law and Order. Every muscle in my body ached and I had a thumping headache. I collected my stuff and went about leaving this building as quickly as possible. Just as I was rushing out the door of Studio 4 I collided with a body, a built body. I was on my ass before I could blink.

“Oh wow I am so sorry. I didn't see you there, you're so small.” Looking up I saw a buff man, tattoos covering his arms and dimples in his cheeks. I let out a small laugh and took his hand as he helped me up. “Don't worry about it big guy didn't see you either.” He shook his head and grinned at me.

“Of course you didn't, you were rushing out of here pretty quick. You late for something?” He asked and I shook my head. “My bed is calling me after 14 hours of studio time.” His eyes widened slightly and he let out a low whistle. “14 hours? That's dedication there.”

Shrugging my shoulders I pulled out my phone to check the time. “It's what needs to be done to get this album finished. You leaving or arriving?” I asked, pretty sure he was a musician. “Arriving, I'm Matt. Matt Sanders.” He stuck his hand out as a greeting and I took it immediately. “Demi. Demi Lovato.”

“I don't want to seem rude Demi, but I've never heard of you.” Smiling at him, I shook my head. “Don't worry Sanders I've never heard of you either.” I didn't let him answer before walking past him and out the front door.


I arrived back the next day to work on the songs some more and he was waiting for me, dimples and all. After weeks of pestering I finally let him take me out on a date. Four dates later and I was his girlfriend, fully informed that he was recently divorced and that we had a decent sized age gap between us, but I didn't care. He liked me, I liked him and that's all that mattered.

That was three weeks ago and he decided it was time for a formal introduction to friends. The introduction to family being Saturday night. I figured if I could tackle the friends, family would be a piece of cake. His friends were basically family anyway.

“Babe you ready to go?” I turned to find Matt standing in the doorway of my bedroom, looking gorgeous as ever. I nodded without a word and picked up my bag before walking out the door.

...

I picked at my nails nervously as we sat outside Brian's house in Matt's car. We had been sitting in silence for at least five minutes and I was thankful he wasn't rushing me. I was sick to my stomach with worry. What if they didn't like me? What if they didn't think I was pretty enough for Matt? All these questions circled in my head. I remembered the words of the women from treatment. Don't let new situations intimidate you. Be yourself. Don't think bad of yourself. It was just so difficult when they people inside this house had the ability to make or break this relationship. They had all been friends for 18 years, I wouldn't let myself come between that ever.

“Relax that pretty little head of yours. Everything will be fine.” God bless his soul he really believed that. I, wasn't so sure of myself. We finally emerged from the car as I found myself seeping with new found confidence and bravery. Matt joined our hands together and walked me up the drive, not even knocking on the door. “Honey I'm home.” He shouted before closing the door. “Oh dear, dinner will be ready in five minutes I promise. Just please not the cane, anything but the cane.” I looked up the see Brian walking into the hallway giggling. I let out a laugh myself as the two men hugged before I was pulled into a hug myself. “Nice to officially meet the girl that has stolen my best friend.” I felt my heart drop. Did they really think of me as the girl that has stolen Matt.

“Whoa take that look off your face, I'm joking.” I calmed instantly and smiled shyly at him. Jesus Christ when did I become such a nervous wreck? Brian and Matt led me out to the backyard where everyone was located. Once I stepped foot out the backdoor I knew trouble was heading my way.

The glares from the ladies of the group were clue number one, they're notable refusal to speak to me was clue number two. Matt obviously not noting the death glares the women were sending pulled my towards where all the men were standing and introduced me to everyone.

“Dem, this is Johnny, Zacky and you know Brian.” I smiled and did a small wave, before I knew it I was being dragged towards the girls. “Hey guys. This is Demi, my girlfriend.” I smiled warmly at them ah he introduced them all. “This is Gena, Michelle and Lacey.”

“Hi.” I said softly as I waved awkwardly at them. “You girls have a chat, I'll go get us some drinks okay babe?” Not wanting to seem like a clingy needy girl I agreed and let him stroll off into the house. I sat down at the garden chair closest to me and looked towards the girls. One by one they turned their backs to me and resumed whatever conversation they were having before Matt and I came over. Sighing I pulled my phone out of my bag and opened up Twitter hoping to waste some time before Matt came back out of the house and noticed the girls were being less than friendly.

@ddlovato: What are all my beautiful Lovatics up to on this fine Saturday afternoon?

“Baby you okay?” I looked up from my phone to see my handsome boyfriend staring down at my worriedly. “Yeah um babe where's the bathroom?” He gave me quick directions and I wasted no more time in sitting with the girls who obviously wanted nothing to do with me. I found the bathroom with ease and opened up my contacts, quickly finding the person I needed to speak to, my sponsor.

“Dem girl what's happening?”

“I'm meeting Matt's friends. The girls of the group just totally blew me off and gave me the cold shoulder. I don't know why this bothers me so much but I'm just feeling shitty and I knew I needed to call you before I did something stupid.” I ran my fingers through my hair. Of course I would end up having an off day today, while I was meeting Matt's friends.

“Baby girl you need to go back out there head held high and show them what they're missing. They could find an amazing friend in you, but if they don't wanna give you the time of day then it's their loss.” I smiled, she somehow always knew what to tell me to calm me down. “Thank you, now I just have to go out there and eat something and focus on keeping it down.” I heard her soft giggle on the end of the line.

“Nerves or food problems?”

“The first option.” She let out a laugh and I couldn't help but smile. Her laugh was contagious. “Just relax, you'll be fine.” We hung up swiftly after that and I emerged from the bathroom, but not before checking myself once more.

I walked back out to the backyard and was relieved to find that the two groups had formed together, now I wouldn't look like a clingy girlfriend by going to sit beside Matt. “Hey babe, come on before these fat asses eat all the food.” I grinned at him as I sat down and began filling my plate with salads and then taking a burger and a hotdog.

“Demi are you going to be able to keep all that down?” I looked up from my plate slowly to see Michelle glaring at me with a smug smile on her face.

“Excuse me?” I couldn't believe she had just said that. Was he really calling me out on food in front of everyone.

She looked around innocently. “Oh I just thought? I heard you on the phone to someone and you said you needed to focus on keeping whatever you ate down?” She was acting so passive about this but it didn't meet her eyes. I was frozen, I didn't even know what to say. “I was talking about my nerves, not that it's your business about my eating habits, but thanks for the concern.”

“Oh I wasn't concerned about you, I just didn't want you to puke all over my bathroom while you're attempting to get skinny.” Everyone was silent, nobody knew how to respond to that. I did the only thing I could think of and I picked up my fork and began eating my salad.

“Michelle are kidding me right now?” I heard Matt growl and turned to see him absolutely furious. “Matt leave it, it's her house.”

“No I won't fucking leave it! Michelle why are you being so mean and vindictive? She hasn't done anything to you.” I really didn't want this happening, I don't want him to fall out with friends because they don't like me.

“She tore my sister's marriage apart that's what she did.” I had enough by then. I threw my fork down on my plate.

“Actually for the record I met Matt in the studio, two months after the divorce was finalised. You can say whatever you want about me, my weight, my hair. But don't you dare accuse me of being a homewrecker. I have never, nor will I ever be responsible for the end of a marriage.”

“Are you sure you're stable enough to be with Matt little girl. You do know he travels a lot with touring. If you have problems with food because of your self esteem I doubt having a boyfriend on tour is going to help.”

“Oh we'll be fine. I know what it's like touring, I have been doing it for about six years now.” As I was speaking she was taking a drink and once she heard what I had said spat it all over the entire table. “You've been what?”

“Touring, making movies and working on my tv show. Recording some albums too.”

“You're famous?” She was jaw dropped. “Yep, so you don't have to worry about me dating Matt for money, I've got enough of my own thanks.” I stood up, taking my bag with my and walking towards the house. I just needed to sit away from them and calm myself down. They knew nothing about me.

You'd think that with everything I'd gone through I would be able to handle some strangers having negative opinions about me. But these people weren't just strangers, they're Matt's best friends. If we can't get along, how long will our relationship last?

“Baby you okay?” I turned to find Matt lingering in the doorway. I nodded slightly before he made his way over to sit with me. “I'm really sorry about everything Michelle said.” I shrugged, not wanting to say what I was really thinking.

“No don't just shrug it off, I can tell that you're upset about what happened.” Sighing I took his hands in mine. “Matt, they're your best friends. You have been friends with them for years I can't just come in and tear friendships apart.”

“You aren't tearing any friendships apart. If they have a problem with you I won't talk to them until they re evaluate their problems.” I groaned and a smirk fell onto his face.

“You can't just fall out with friends because of me.”

“It's not just because of you. They're supposed to be my friends as well as Val's and right now they aren't acting like great friends towards me. I'm upset with them about picking sides, I've been upset with them since the divorce and today just kind of let me tell them how they've hurt me.” I placed my hand on his cheek and smiled warmly at him. “You're an incredible guy you know that.” He grinned at me before connecting his lips with mine.

“I did know that actually.” He winked and in return I shoved him away, he could be so cocky when he wanted to be.

...
I'm losing myself
Trying to compete
With everyone else
Instead of just being me
I don't know where to turn
I've been stuck in this routine
I need to change my ways
Instead of always being weak

I don't wanna be afraid
I wanna wake up feeling beautiful
Today
And know that I'm okay
Cause everyone's perfect in unusual
Ways you see
I just wanna believe in me
e_in_me.html ]
La la la la, la la la la
The mirror can lie
Doesn't show you what's inside
And it, it can tell you your full of life
It's amazing what you can hide
Just by putting on a smile

I don't wanna be afraid
I wanna wake up feeling beautiful
Today
And know that I'm okay
Cause everyone's perfect in unusual
Ways you see
I just wanna believe in me

I'm quickly finding out
I'm not about to break down... 
Not today
I guess I always knew
That I had all the strength
To make it through

Not gonna be afraid
I'm gonna wake up feeling beautiful
Today
And know that I'm okay
Cause everyone's perfect in unusual
Ways you see
Now, now I believe in me
Now I believe in me


I walked off the stage with a smile on my face. Another successful LA show. I loved playing in California, and not because I got sleep in my own bed afterwards. In fact tonight after the show I was going to stay at Matt's place. He was here with his sister before I had to meet the parents tomorrow night. I was less nervous to meet his family than I was meeting his friends, because nothing could be worse than that meeting was.

I walked through backstage and stopped dead in my tracks when I noticed who Matt was standing beside, all the guys and their wives. What is going on.

“Hey what's going on?” I ask as I was handed a bottle of water by a member of my crew. “I wanted to bring everyone and show them just how hard you've worked to be where you are.” I smiled at him, he was such a sweetheart. The girls didn't say much so I assumed they still weren't fond of me but I could tolerate hanging out with them as long as they refrained from the verbal abuse and death glares.

“Hey Demi can I talk to you?” I saw Brian waving me over behind the others. Matt smiled and walked ahead while I stopped to talk to his best friend. “What's up Brian?”

“I just wanted to tell you not to take the girls' actions to heart. They're being majorly bitchy right now and it's just because Val is convinced Matt was cheating on her. They'll come around.” He pulled me into a hug that I gladly welcomed. “Thank Brian.”

“Oh, and welcome to the family kiddo.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Don't judge because it's Demi Lovato and please don't be a silent reader! Tell me what you think, does anyone want this to be continued as a story?