Sequel: Here With Me

Sunday in New York

Family Matters

Image

Amelia had taken the liberty of inviting Hudson and Jules over to spend some time with us back at my place. They agreed but had no choice but to watch chick flicks with us. Jules spent the whole time making sarcastic remarks, and Hudson kept his arm around me as we both sat on the love-seat.

As we were watching the movie, with the lights out, my phone began vibrating. It was midnight and I wasn't expecting a call so late; I picked up my phone and checked to see who it was. It was Eric.

Hudson looked down at the screen and then looked at me. I ignored his call and turned off my phone. Hudson kissed the side of my head and whispered in my ear, "You don't have to talk to him."

I nodded and rested my head on his shoulder and continued to watch the movie.

Later that night, after the movie, Hudson and Jules had to say goodnight and leave. So Amelia and I ended up having our girls night after all.

* * *

About three weeks later Hudson and I were spending more time together, it wasn't everyday that we would see each other, because we believed that having a distance between us would be better, but we would keep in touch by calling each other.

I had gone back to work last week, but my boss was kind enough to relax my errands and gave me more office work rather than running back and forth for coffee and lunch. I had been assigned to write a critique on the newest album by The Black Keys. If my article was good enough, it would be featured in the next issue of Rolling Stone.

The band was coming to play Madison Square Garden this week and I had been given V.I.P tickets to the concert, and the opportunity to stand side stage and take intimate photos of them as they performed.

I thought that it'd be a nice surprise for Hudson when I'd ask him to go to the concert with me.

Today had been a busy day, I had only been able to text Hudson as he too was busy. I was getting calls all day and working hard on my project. Eric had been calling me everyday for these past three weeks until I finally answered his call, which was today.

It was just before the noon hour when I answered the phone. "Hello." I quietly answered.

"Avery, I've been calling you everyday. I'm so glad you answered." He spoke in a calm tone.

I didn't say anything.

"...Avery, are you there?" He frantically asked.

"Yes, I'm right here."

"Avery, I'm so sorry...I don't know what came over me. I mean, I have no excuse. I'm so sorry."

Again I said nothing, but my silence wasn't for long. "I don't know what to say Eric...I can't forgive you right now, and it pains my heart to be feeling so bitter towards you, but you broke the trust that I had for you...I mean, it was bad enough that you were cheating on me, but to accuse me of doing it. I don't know how to feel."

"I know, I know. I'm not expecting you to forgive me, but I need to see you. Can we?"

I thought for a moment and sighed. "Can I call you back?"

"Of course."

"Okay." I hung up and sat in my chair contemplating what I should do. I sighed and called Hudson, waiting for him to answer.

"'Ello love, how are you?" He answered, I could feel his smile over the line, but I also heard a lot of background noise of the restaurant.

"I'm fine. Hudson I just got a call from Eric, and I answered it."

"Oh? What did he say?"

"He apologized wildly, but I'm nowhere near ready to forgive him. But he wants to meet with me, face to face. I think I want to, but I just thought that I'd ask you first."

"Avery love, this is not my decision to make. Whatever you choose, I won't judge you or try to sway you." He sweetly spoke.

I smiled, "Alright. I'm going to meet him then. It'll only be for a while, I don't want to spend too long with him, and I'll make sure we're in a public place, with lots of people."

"That's fine darling."

"Okay. I'll talk to you again soon." I smiled.

"For sure, take care love." He replied.

"Bye." I hung up and called back Eric, telling him to meet me at Central Park at the coffee shop on the south side. He agreed, so I went on my lunch break and took a taxi down to the park. I ordered a coffee to go and sat at a table outside, waiting for him. He arrived soon after and spotted me right away.

He walked over and took a seat across me, noticing the fading bruises and scars from that night. I was still self-conscious about them and touched my face and looked away. I cleared my throat. "So, how are you?"

He lowered his eyes, "I'm okay...Avery, I'm-"

"I know." I looked at him. "I know you're sorry. But don't make a big deal out of this, okay? I'm having a hard enough time trying to move on, and sitting here with you is...is so hard, Eric. I want to be mad at you, I want to scream at the top of my lungs at you because of how disappointed I am with you. I want to hit you enough times just so you can feel the slightest bit of what I felt that night. It hurts to look at you Eric, because you were once the man that I wanted to spend the rest of my life with. And now that's gone."

He looked down and was silent for a long time. He nodded, "You're right...you know how sorry I am. I don't ever want to hurt you like that again." He placed his hand on mine, but I gently pulled away.

Instead I replaced my hand with the ring box that he had given me that night. "I just need to pick up the pieces of my life and try to move on. And I want you to move on. We need to find our happiness, apart from each other."

He took the box and lowered his eyes, again he nodded, "I know. I want you to have the life you've always dreamt of, and in the back of my mind I always knew I was holding you back...But I'm glad that we were able to see each other again, even if it's for the last time."

I took a deep breath, "Take care of yourself Eric." I then stood up and paused for a moment, taking one last look at those blue eyes that had once enchanted me. But that was long ago. I turned and left, deciding to walk back to work. I felt Eric watching me but soon losing sight of me as I disappeared into the sea of people.

6:16 pm

Later that day after I had finished work, I was relaxing at home, sitting on the counter eating carrots talking on the phone with my mum when Hudson came rushing into my apartment, full of excitement.

"Avery, I've got the greatest news! Oh-" He then realized I was on the phone. I smiled at him and held up my finger.

"Yup...I will. I'll talk to you again...alright, love you. Bye." My phone call had come to a close. I hung up and tossed the cordless phone beside me.

"Who was that?" He asked, coming over and taking a carrot.

"My mum, but what's the great news?" I smiled.

"You'll never guess who came into the restaurant this afternoon." He grinned.

"Who?" I got excited.

He straightened his posture and composed himself, "Famous chef Bobby Flay came to lunch in our restaurant today. He heard about Jules and I, and so he decided to come check us out and was so impressed with his meal, he's coming back tomorrow for dinner. He wants us to be featured in Food Network Magazine. Do you know what that means? We'll be getting more business! Word will get out, and we'll be great!"

I laughed and jumped into his arms as he spun us around. "Hudson that's fantastic! I'm so happy for you!"

He put me down and smiled, cupping my face. "We're gonna be famous! I can't believe it. My only dreams when Jules and I first started were to just be successful, but to be discovered by Bobby Flay and have the chance to have a spread in a magazine. I mean, how can things get any better than that?"

I kissed him, "I'm so happy for you love. Do you have to prepare a certain thing tomorrow?"

"I don't think specifically, but since the restaurant is gonna be closed tomorrow, Jules and I were thinking of making something really divine. Our favourites from the menu. Just completely blow him away." He smiled.

I took his hand and led him to the table to sit with me. "Well Hudson, I couldn't be any happier than I am right now. I'm so proud of you, Bobby will love what you and Jules have for him."

He smiled and was quiet for a moment, probably still in disbelief about Bobby Flay coming into the restaurant and his visit tomorrow. He shook his head and cleared his throat, coming back to reality. "That was your mum you said?"

I nodded, "Yeah, I figured your news was more exciting than mine."

"What do you mean?" He furrowed his brow.

"My parents were wondering if you'd like to come to dinner tonight?...With me of course." I lightly laughed, I couldn't help but feel nervous about asking him.

"Come to dinner?" He looked down, thinking about it.

"I mean, if you're not up for it, that's okay. I know Bobby's coming to the restaurant tomorrow, and you probably want to prepare for it. I can just think up an excuse." I quickly replied.

"If that's alright." He spoke.

I nodded and stood up, "Of course it is." I walked up to him and kissed the side of his head before taking the plate to the sink.

"No, you know what, let's just go." He stood up.

"Hudson I'm not making you do this, if you don't want to that's alright." I half-smiled, turning to face him. He came up to me and took both my hands in his.

"Avery, I know I've been avoiding seeing your parents, and you understand that I've never been comfortable in family situations. But you're in my life...you are my life. And your family means the world to you, so they should be a part of my life too." He half-smiled.

I smiled back at him, "Are you absolutely sure?"

"Positive." He smiled, "And one more thing."

"Yes?"

"...I love you." He spoke. My heart skipped a beat and I was grinning. This was the first time either of us had said those three words. Sure we'd call each other love and sweetheart, but those were terms of endearment. This was the real deal.

I bit my lip, "I love you too Hudson."

He smiled and kissed me, leaving me breathless. I blushed, resting my head against his chest. "I guess I should call my mum, and let her know we're coming."

"Okay." He smiled, "Should I bring something? Like wine, or should I cook something?"

I put my hands against his chest, "Whatever is fine, but maybe don't cook anything, my mother's an Italian woman, she does all the cooking."

He laughed, "Alright, wine it is."

Later after I had called my mum, Hudson went home to get wine and to change, so that gave me time to take a quick shower and also change. When I was ready, I texted Hudson to let him know, only to realize he was in the car downstairs, so I went down to meet him.

I jumped into the passenger seat, seeing a bottle of wine and a bouquet of white daisies between us. He smiled, "I thought flowers would be a nice touch along with the wine."

I smiled back, "She's gonna love them."

"Alright, we're off to Brooklyn." He spoke, putting the car into drive and leaving The Village. It was a half-hour drive to Brooklyn, so we spent the time listening to music, well, I actually was showing him all the new bands I've been discovering. But we also talked more about tomorrow and how he should dress, and how he should have his hair, how he should present the meal. Overall we spent that drive talking and laughing together until we pulled into the neighbourhood of Bensonhurst. It wasn't the most glamorous of neighbourhoods, especially when compared to places in the City, but this was where I was raised.

We pulled up to one of the many white townhouses and Hudson parked the car. He took a deep breath.

"Ready?" I smiled.

He sat there for a while but soon nodded, "Yeah. Yeah I am."

We got out and he took the wine and flowers as he followed me up to the door. I knocked first before opening the door and coming in. I called for my parents. "Ma, Pops. We're here!"

Jonny came down the stairs and pulled me into a hug, "Avery!"

"Jon boy, you remember Hudson." I smiled.

"Of course, Avery's knight in shining armour." Jon laughed, shaking hands with Hudson.

We went in and were greeted by Paulie, and my parents. They all hugged me, and Hudson, a little hesitant, stuck to shaking their hands.

"I brought you wine, and flowers." He spoke, holding out the gifts.

My mother lit up, "Oh Hudson, you didn't have to." She smiled as she admired the flowers and handed the bottle of wine to my dad.

"Wow, this looks expensive." My father smiled, examining the bottle. "2006, is that a good year for wine?"

"Yes, fairly good. I mean, it's great now, but in 6-8 years it will be at it's best. But you can still drink it. Amerone released this as Monte Ca’Bianca. It's one of the best." Hudson cleared his throat.

"Well thank you Hudson, this is really nice." My dad smiled.

"Shall we go into the living area? Dinner is almost ready." My mother smiled softly. So we all took a seat in the living room, Hudson sat next to me.

"So we finally got you to come over." My father laughed jokingly.

"I'm sorry it took so long...things came up." Hudson quietly replied.

"Oh that's fine dear, you're here now. That's all that matters." My mum replied, lightly hitting my father.

"So Hudson, what do you do?" Paul asked.

"I'm a chef." He replied.

I smiled and held his hand, "He's being modest. He and his close friend own a restaurant in SoHo, it's very popular. Bobby Flay came to the restaurant today."

My mother gasped and sat on the edge of her seat, "Bobby Flay! What an honour, you must be a great chef!" My mother watched Bobby Flay's shows all the time.

Hudson nodded, "I guess so. It was really nice for him to come by today. He's coming again tomorrow, he wants to feature us in a magazine."

My father placed his hand under his chin, "Well isn't that neat, good for you Hudson, you're on your way to fame."

I smiled and looked tenderly at Hudson, he looked at me and smiled. My father started up again, "So when did you two start going out?"

Hudson swallowed and looked at me, I knew he wanted me to answer my father. I looked at my parents, "Um, shortly after...Eric and I broke up. Hudson's been really great about it, and patient. That's what I love about him, how patient he is." I kissed Hudson on the cheek.

"Oh John, they're just like us when we were young." My mother smiled, holding my dad's hand. Paulie and Jonny almost immediately started to gag, lightening up the mood by making us laugh.

Hudson was quiet throughout the visit and during the dinner.

After dinner I helped my mum take the dishes to the kitchen and began to wash them. My mother nudged me with a smile, "He seems really sweet."

I blushed, "He is. I really love him."

"But he's really quiet." She spoke quietly.

"He's just naturally quiet, and he's kind of nervous. Family get-togethers aren't his thing."

She nodded and continued washing the dishes. "What about his parents? When we asked him at the table, he really didn't say much, or he seemed to not want to talk about it."

I looked over my shoulder then whispered in her ear, "He doesn't have the greatest family situation, he won't even talk about it with me."

"Oh." She nodded.

Later after we said goodnight to my family, we drove back to the city. Hudson again was still quiet, staring ahead and focussing on his driving. The radio was playing quietly as I stared out the window. "Was it really that bad?" I looked at him, with a half-smile on my face.

He glanced over at me, "Huh?"

"You've been quiet since we left my parents house...that was twenty minutes ago." I replied.

"I'm sorry." He spoke, looking back at the road.

I looked back out the window, "I told you that we didn't have to go. I didn't want to make you do anything you didn't want to."

"You didn't, I said I'd go, and..."

"You regretted it." I sighed.

"Don't put words in my mouth, Avery. But I told you that I don't know how to deal with family, it was my choice to go."

"Well that's all you told me Hudson, you won't even talk about it, and I don't want to force you to talk about it, but some sort of feedback would be nice. You don't say anything."

"Well what am I supposed to say? I-I don't like parents? That's not true, I loved my mum, I hate my dad. My dad treats me like shit and doesn't care what happens to me. All he does is throw money at me and expect that to take care of things." He pulled the car up to my apartment building and put it in park. "You wanna know why I had nothing to say in there? You wanna know why I couldn't even work up the nerve to speak?"

I just looked at him.

"Because I see how much your family loves you. And your mother...your mother reminds me exactly of my own. How loving and caring she is..." He wiped his eyes, as tears began to well up. He sniffled and took a deep breath.

"Hudson." I softly spoke, now understanding his pain, as I placed my hand on his arm.

"I'll just talk to you tomorrow, okay?" He spoke.

I brought my hand back, taken aback by what he said. I just nodded and got out of the car, walking up the stoop into my building. In my apartment I tossed the keys down on the table by the door and walked to my bedroom. I sat down on the edge of my bed and sighed, about to undress when there was a knock at my door.

I furrowed my brow and walked out of my room to the front door. I looked through the peephole and saw him, so I opened the door up and was met by his kiss. Hudson cupped my face and shut the door after him. "I'm sorry, I'm so sorry." He whispered.

Tears came to my eyes as I hugged him, "No, I'm sorry. I know it hurts to talk about it. I'm sorry." He kissed me again and picked me up, taking us to the bedroom. He set me down on the bed as I pulled him into a kiss, kneeling on the bed before him.

"I love you so much." He spoke as he took off his shirt, laying me down and crawling over top of me. I began unbuttoning my top as he unbuttoned and pulled off my shorts. He paused a moment, hovering over me, panting. "You're so beautiful." He whispered, lowering his head, his tender kiss meeting my lips. I ran my fingers through his hair and dropped my head back as he kissed my neck, leaving a trail of kisses along my bare collarbone.

He unzipped his jeans and pushed them off, continuing to kiss me and whisper sweet nothings in my ear. I let out a small sigh as I let my hands caress the smooth skin of his strong and sculpted back. I felt his hands move to my back, gently unhooking my bra. I gently held his arm, stopping him for a moment.

Looking up into his light eyes, I told him again that I loved him and left a soft kiss on his lips.
♠ ♠ ♠
Leave a Comment and Subscribe!

I updated the character list, so you can see what Eric and Amelia look like!

Avery's Outfit