Sequel: Here With Me

Sunday in New York

Invitations

Image

September 17th

Hudson, Jules, and I were bringing in boxes of my things into his apartment, I was swamped at work and finally found the time to start moving in. Jules kept giving loud obnoxious sighs, he didn't want to be here helping us move my stuff in, but he had no choice. Hudson had his ways of making cheap threats to him.

"What's in this box? It's like a million pounds." Jules laughed.

"That is just one of the boxes of my books." I laughed.

Hudson had picked up the mail when we first got in the building and was at the table going through the envelopes.

"Alright, let's go pick up the rest of the boxes, I think there's one or two left." I smirked, pushing Jules out the door.

"Avery, come here a minute, I need to talk to you. You can go ahead, Jules." Hudson spoke from the table. So Jules grumbled and left and I walked over to Hudson.

"Yes darling?" I smiled, hugging him from behind.

"Read this." He took out something from an envelope that looked like an invitation and handed it to me.

I moved around him and took the fancy looking invitation.

Holbrook Hudson,

You are cordially invited to the 12th annual Autumn Banquet at the home of Charles Brand and his wife Hilary Brooks-Brand.


It was followed by the house address and an R.S.V.P.

I looked at Hudson with a confused look, "Who's Charles Brand?"

"My father." He spoke.

I made a face, "His name sounds...familiar."

He cleared his throat and walked to the other side of the table. "Because it is. I figured this would be a good time to introduce you to him, even if it'll be the first and last time you meet him."

I thought for a long time, I've heard that name before. Charles Brand, Charles Brand, Charles Brand. Then it hit me, I looked back at Hudson. "Charles Brand, the stockbroker? For Wall Street?"

He nodded, "That's just one of his titles."

"And you want me to meet him?" I asked, hardly able to believe that Charles Brand, the notorious, wealthy, and famous stockbroker was his father.

"Yes, at their party this Saturday. It's just like him to send me an invitation at short notice." He took a pen and checked off the R.S.V.P card stating that we'll be attending.

"What kind of party is it?" I asked, feeling very hesitant about it as I watched him place the card in an envelope and quickly scrawl down the address.

"Charles has this soirée to celebrate a new season for the New York Stock Exchange. It's always around this season that things get hot for the Stock Exchange and it's just to celebrate another season coming to a close and a new season just beginning." After he finished writing, he waved the envelope, "Now this has to be mailed."

"Wait, wait. Hudson, I don't know about this. I mean, is this really the place to meet your dad for the first time? Amidst all those famous and wealthy people? I mean...who will be there?"

He thought for a moment, "Men from Wall St., other popular figures in the stock exchange world and a few celebrities."

I lowered my eyes. "I just don't know about this Hudson."

He looked at me and put his hands gently on my arms, "What's wrong Avery? You usually aren't hesitant like this."

"I just don't want to be introduced into that world as the poor girl from Brooklyn." I looked down. "I never get self-conscious about that, but now that I know who your father is...I'm sorry Hudson."

He lifted my chin and looked into my eyes. "I don't ever want you to feel self-conscious. I don't ever want you to feel that you aren't good enough because you have a humble background. So what if I have money? Wealth does not define who I am, nor you. Avery, you are the girl who made it. You left Brooklyn to live your dream, and here you are in the city and working for one of the most successful magazines in the world. I love you Avery, please don't let money or our pasts get in the way of what can be a beautiful future."

I nodded and smiled, "You're right...but I do wish you told me about who your father was before all of this."

"I'll tell you more about him when I get back. I'm just gonna run down the block and mail this." He kissed my forehead and turned to leave. Jules came in and set down another box that looked heavy.

"Hey, go mail this for me." Hudson tried to hand the envelope to Jules.

Jules pushed it back. "No way, sod off. I'm done with hauling boxes. There's one more, you can bring it up when you come back." He grumbled as he came in.

Hudson laughed, "Alright, no need to be a jerk about it." He left the apartment.

I was at the table re-reading the invitation while Jules went to the fridge and took out a beer. "What's that you're looking at?" He twisted off the cap as he walked over.

"Oh, it's just an invitation Hudson got from his father." I held it up.

Jules smirked, "Ah, dear ole daddy. Is Hudson going?"

I nodded, "And he's taking me with him."

Jules smiled and lightly laughed, "Well good luck."

I looked at him, "What do you mean?"

"Oh, no don't take offence to it. I just mean, that world is completely different from ours." He smiled, sitting down.

"How so?" I asked, sitting down too.

"Charlie Brand is one of the ten wealthiest people in the world. He was the hot shot head of the London Stock Exchange for 20 years and then crossed the pond and is ruling over New York now. Comparing us to him, we're mere peasants." He smirked.

"That's...wow." That was all I could say.

"But don't tell Hudson I told you, he's made me swear that I wouldn't tell anyone. Some friend I am, huh?" He laughed. At the same time Hudson came in with the last box.

"Thanks Jules, this box hardly weighed anything." Hudson laughed.

"No problem and thanks for the beer. I'll catch ya later." Jules got up and left, patting Hudson's shoulder.

After the door shut, Hudson smiled and walked to the living room. "Join me." He spoke. I got up and went to sit with him.

"I mailed the R.S.V.P, I brought in the last box, now I'll tell you about my father." He half-smiled.

And he did, he told me exactly what Jules had said and much more that surprised me.

"So we have to get you a dress." He said.

"What's the dress code?" I asked.

"Formal."

"Oh, so none of my dresses would be appropriate then..."

"They're all beautiful, but gowns are required. I'll get you one, no worries." He smiled, putting his arm around me and turning on the t.v.

"No, I'll get it myself. It's okay." I half-smiled.

"Avery, I want to you get you a dress." He laughed.

"Please Hudson, I'll get it. I get my first big pay cheque this week anyway, I can get it."

He just smiled. "Alright." He kissed my cheek. "What did you wanna watch?"

I watched the screen as he went through the guide and quickly grabbed the remote from him. "Let's watch this! I love this movie!"

"Rosemary's Baby?" He laughed.

"Oh it's great, I love Mia Farrow in this. She has such style."

"Yeah, for being in a horror film." He chuckled.

"And I love her hair. Maybe I should cut my hair that short." I smiled.

"Well if you do you better not be pregnant. I don't want to deal with witches and drugs and a demon baby." He laughed, shaking his head.

I just smiled and then thought about that. We watched the movie for a bit but I couldn't get that out of my mind, the baby thing. Not the anti-christ baby on the movie, just babies in general. I turned to him, "Do you ever see yourself being a father?"

He smiled and gave a laugh, "Uh..." He then went quiet but I could tell he was thinking about it, so I waited. He laughed again, "I don't know, I mean. I've never pictured myself as being the father-type...I guess I wouldn't mind a kid. But not for a very, very long time."

I just nodded and continued watching the movie, but he nudged me. "What about you?" He asked.

I lowered my eyes and sighed, "I'd love to have a baby, but...having diabetes has kind of crushed that dream."

He looked at me, "Why?"

"Well, because of it, if I were to become pregnant the pregnancy would be high-risk and be dangerous for both I and the baby. My doctor has advised against it." I pulled my knees up to my chest. When my doctor first told me about it, I was 16 and I was devastated. Not that I wanted to have a baby at that age, but it's always been something I've dreamt about and knowing that I shouldn't become pregnant saddened me.

Hudson wrapped his arm around me and kissed my cheek. "We'll have a child someday. We can think about it then."

I just smiled and rested my head on his shoulder. "Let's just watch the movie, maybe it'll scare me out of having a child." I made him laugh, but deep inside I couldn't help but feel sad.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comment and Subscribe :)

sorry for all the typos! It's been a strange day for me...