Sequel: Here With Me

Sunday in New York

McGees Pub

Image

November 4th, Friday

The work day was coming to a close and I was eagerly anticipating tonight, the night when Hudson and I would tell our best friends the great news. It was nearing six and I was straightening up my papers and putting things away when Christian cleared his throat to get my attention.

"Are you alright?" He asked, looking at me from across the desk as he straightened up his things.

I shrugged my shoulders, "Yeah, I'm fine. Why do you ask?" I gave a laugh.

"You haven't really talked to me much this week...the way you usually do." He bit his lip.

"Oh, sorry, I didn't realize I was doing that." I cleared my throat. The truth was, I knew perfectly well what I was doing. He didn't tell me that he went out with Amelia and didn't mention it at al this week, so I figured that maybe he and I were getting too personal with our conversations, so I was holding back on him.

He was quiet for a moment and after he put his papers in his desk, looked back at me and began again. "Is this because I went out with Amelia?"

I quickly looked up at him but didn't say anything.

"She asked me out." He continued.

"Okay, what I don't understand is why didn't you tell me that day? You said she stopped by and that was it, you left out the very big detail that you were going out with her." I sighed.

He looked down for a moment but brought his gaze back up to meet mine, "Are you jealous?"

I then smiled and started to laugh, "No, I'm not. I just thought that you would tell me, I mean, we tell each other almost everything."

"I'm sorry," He smiled, "I just thought that since Amelia is your best friend, she should be the one to tell you...and I didn't want to get the talk from you, telling me that if I break her heart you'll break my legs."

I smirked, "I thought that was implied?"

He chuckled. "Okay, well she and I are going out again tonight, just to a bar or something she said."

I furrowed my brow, "Did she say the bar you're going to is McGees?"

"Yeah, that's it, I couldn't remember the name." He nodded.

"Oh, well that's the bar we're going to tonight, Hudson, me, Jules, Amelia. That's where we hang out."

"Oh...would I be imposing then?"

"Not at all, you'll finally get to meet Hudson." I smiled.

"Yeah, wow...I do." He swallowed.

"He's a nice guy, you'll get along good." I chuckled, standing up and pushing my chair in, adjusting the strap of my satchel on my shoulder. I walked toward the door and turned, "See you later then." I chuckled, leaving.

"Oh love, you look great." Hudson grinned, looking me up and down as I wore a dress. He pulled me into a hug and kissed me. I smiled against his kiss and he gently released me, "I think it's finally time to wear this." I smiled, taking the ring off my necklace and slipping it onto my finger, admiring it for a moment.

"It looks beautiful on your finger." He smiled, kissing the side of my head. I wrapped my arms around him. "It's perfect."

"Now let's go tell the world." He grinned, lifting my chin and giving me one more kiss before we left. We took his car instead of mine to first pick up Jules and then go to McGees after. We went in and the bar was busy as usual, filled with sports fans watching football on the screens above the bar and tipsy college students staggering around the room, and the oh so familiar scent of food cooking in the kitchen that my sent my sense of smell into excitement; I was starving. Being greeted by the waitresses and bartenders, I saw that Amelia and Christian were already sitting in our usual booth, talking and laughing.

"Avery!" Amelia grinned, waving us over. Hudson's arm wrapped around my waist and he leaned in, whispering in my ear. "Is that him?"

I nodded and pulled him along so we could join them. "Hudson, meet Christian Reid, my co-worker."

"It's nice to meet you." Hudson shook his hand politely. "This is our friend Jules, here."

"Hello." Christian smiled, shaking Jules' hand.

"So, what's the big reason you brought us together for?" Amelia grinned, putting her elbows on the table and her hands clasped under her chin.

"Let's get some drinks first." Hudson smiled, waving at a waitress who came over right away.

"Hey guys, what'll you have?" She smiled, knowing us from our frequent visits to the bar.

"Hey Pam, two Heinekens, a Corona, and three cheeseburgers for us please.." Hudson spoke, ordering for me, Jules, and himself.

"And a Sex on the Beach, keep 'em coming." Amelia giggled.

"a Stella Artois for me and the burger sounds good, I'll have one too. Amelia?" Christian looked at her.

"Oh, uh, just the house salad. I need to keep my figure at it's best." She laughed, teasing him.

After the waitress left with our order, Christian cleared his throat and turned his attention to Hudson. "So, from the accent, I take it you and Jules are from England?"

Hudson laughed, "Yeah, we are."

"What part of England are you from?" He asked both Jules and Hudson.

Jules gave a laugh, "I'm from the dodgy side of Wandsworth in London, born and raised there. My family still lives there too, I go back for a visit every now and then."

Hudson chuckled at Jules and then turned back to Christian, "Well, I was born and raised here in New York up until I was ten, then we moved to Notting Hill but I was sent to Eton afterwards to attend the Eton College, so I lived there until I was 19, then I came back to New York."

"Oh, so then are you actually British?" Christian asked.

Hudson laughed, "Yeah I am, my parents are both from England, I was just born in New York 'cause my dad took a job over here and had to relocate."

"Wow, then that's interesting for the both of you. So were you two childhood friends then?" He asked.

Jules and Hudson both looked at each other and laughed, shaking their heads. "No, we lived very different lives when we were kids, we actually met in culinary school." Jules chuckled.

"Oh yeah, Avery said you two own a restaurant, in SoHo is it?"

"Yeah, La Maison." Hudson nodded.

"I should check it out sometime." Christian smiled.

"Oh yes, the restaurant is amazing." Amelia grinned, her arm linked with his.

Jules turned to face Hudson and I. "'right, now enough about us, you two have been tight lipped far too long, what's the big news?" Jules chuckled, elbowing me.

Hudson and I smiled at each other and I then placed my hand on the table. Amelia gasped and blurted out, "You're engaged!"

"Are you really?" Jules grinned.

We nodded. "It's true."

Amelia clapped her hands and hugged Hudson while Jules gave me a hug, "Congratulations!" He laughed.

"Thanks Jules." I smiled.

"Congratulations." Christian smiled, shaking Hudson's hand and nodding at me.

"When did you get engaged?!" Amelia asked.

"On Monday, Halloween, when I got back." I grinned. Christian gnawed at his lip again, that was a habit of his.

"I'm so excited for you two." She smiled, "Have you started planning at all?"

"Uh, no...no we haven't." I laughed.

Hudson's arm was resting on top of the booth, behind my head. "But we have talked about it, we both agreed that we want a small ceremony, just you guys. And Jules of course will be my best man."

"And Amelia, my maid-of-honour." I smiled at her. "And Christian, our single wedding guest."

He smiled at me from across the table.

"Well actually, we were talking about Jules officiating the wedding." Hudson grinned.

"No way, are you serious?" Jules grinned, almost jumping out of his seat.

"We would be honoured." I smiled.

"Yes!" He yelled, high-fiving Hudson and I. "Thank you! So much!"

"And what a perfect way to celebrate, the burgers are here." I grinned as Pam and another waitress brought our meals to us.

"But first a toast, to the happy couple and their bright future." Amelia smiled, raising her glass. "Cheers." We all clinked our glasses and I clinked mine last with Christian. He smiled softly and nodded.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry if this chapter is uninteresting, I've been a little slow with my creativity :(

But if you feel inclined; comment and subscribe :)

And in case you didn't know, MacLaren's Pub on How I Met Your Mother is based on the actual McGees Pub in New York. I'm a huge HIMYM fan :}


and do excuse the typos...*sigh*