Sequel: Here With Me

Sunday in New York

Pianos



On Monday after my weekend off, I arrived at work on time, at 10:00am surprised that I was here before Christian was. I was busy stressing over an article that I've been working at for over a week now, having writer's block. Then singing filled the room when I looked up seeing Christian laughing and singing a Christmas song, holding what looked like a...Charlie Brown tree.

"Good morning, Avery." He grinned, setting the tiny tree on the table in the back and soon after, began removing his pea-coat and scarf.

I laughed and leaned back in my chair staring at him with astonishment. "I've never seen you so...chipper."

He laughed. "I love that word. Well now that Thanksgiving is over, Christmas is next."

"Oh, so you're one of those kinds of people, who immediately get into the Christmas spirit and begin counting down the days to it." I smiled.

"Exactly." He smiled, sitting down across from me. "But, how was your weekend?"

Memories of my visit to the Brand Mansion crept up, making me shudder. "Um, it was good. We went to my parent's place in Brooklyn, had a big meal, drank a bit too much wine. The usual." I chuckled, "How 'bout you? Did you go to your parent's place?"

He nodded and smiled, "Yeah, my mom made this outrageously elaborate dinner for us. It was nice seeing them again."

"And now it's time for Christmas. Is that our tree over there?" I laughed, gazing past him at the sad twig.

He raised an eyebrow at me. "Yes, do you have a problem with it?" His seriousness dissipated and turned to humour.

"No no, it just looks a little...scraggly...for a tree."

He laughed. "Jann won't let me bring a big tree in here."

I burst out laughing and gave him a patronizing look, "Aw, poor Christian can't have his Christmas tree."

He rolled his eyes and laughed lightly. "Anyways, I wanna ask you something."

I leaned forward, resting my elbows on the desk. "Yes?"

"I was wondering if you wanted to come to a concert with me tonight...The xx are playing at Pianos and I know you love them, just as much as I do, so I wanna to know if you wanted to like, hang out." He bit at his lip, making me smile. I looked up at him and grinned, nodding. "I'd love to. Let's do it!"

He gave a silent sigh of relief and smiled back. "Great. So, should we go after work? Doors open at 8 and I thought we could get something to eat too."

"Yeah, that all sounds great. I'm so excited!" I clapped my hands. "I'll text Hudson to let him know where I'm going tonight." I took out my phone and sent a text to him.

"Hey babe, I'm going to a concert tonight with Christian, is that okay?"

He replied soon after, "Of course, what time are you leaving?"

"We're leaving after work."

"Alright, have fun and text me when you're coming back home. I'm working till eleven tonight. Oh and ask Christian if he wants to come to McGees this Friday."

I smiled. "Will do. Love you <3" I put down my phone and looked up at Christian. "Hudson's wondering if you wanna join us this Friday at McGees?"

He opened his mouth and then smiled, "Uh, yeah sure."

"Great." I smiled. "Hey, do you think you could read this article I've been writing, I just don't feel it's good enough, I think I need to make some changes." I pointed to my computer screen.

"Sure." He smiled, standing up and coming around the desk, leaning in close to me while reading off the screen. I rolled my eyes and knew what he was doing, seeing his grin as he read.

I cleared my throat. He chuckled and then abruptly leaned in closer, whispering in my ear, "Does this make you uncomfortable?" His lips brushed against my skin.

I burst out laughing and flinched, "Christian, stop!" I chuckled, pushing him back.

"Sorry," He laughed, "I like it, I think it's good. Don't change it." He strolled back to his side of the desk.

I was still blushing, shaking my head at him. "I'll just email it to Jann."

"That's a nice perfume you're wearing." He smiled, biting at his lip and staring at me with that blue gaze.

I raised my brow at him. "Get to work Reid." Laughing afterwards.

When the day had come to a close, Christian and I were getting ready to leave the office. Leaving the building, he held the car door open for me as I got in. I admired the soft leather in the luxury car, reminding me of Hudson's car.

When we drove off, I noticed we were going South rather than North. I furrowed my brow and looked at him, "Where are we going?"

"Oh sorry, I'm just gonna stop by at my place to change. I don't want to go to a concert wearing a suit." He smiled. Not long after we left the office, it was only a short distance to the East Side of Central Park where he parked the car out front. He turned to me and cocked his head to the side, "Wanna come upstairs?" He grinned.

"Sure." I chuckled, opening the door and stepping out. I gasped when I realized we were at The Dakota. "You live here?"

Soon he was at my side, staring up at the building just as I was, "Yes."

"This...amazing. This is New York's most exclusive building, the New York Times did a piece on this not too long ago." I smiled.

"I know." He smirked, walking to the door. I followed him in. The doorman greeted him as did the elevator operator, I was surprised that this building still had it's original elevators. When we got to the seventh floor, Christian lead me down the hallway to the last door, unlocking it and holding the door for me to enter in.

I grinned as I slowly entered the room, taking in it's beauty and it's regality. "This is stunning." I smiled, entering the living room.

"Thanks." He chuckled, taking off his jacket and draping it over a chair.

"Is this where you bring all the girls?" I lightly laughed, raising an eyebrow at him.

He bit his lip and smiled, staring at me from across the room. "You're the first girl I've ever brought up here."

I took in a deep breath and watched him, not saying anything.

"Does that surprise you?" He smiled, he began unbuttoning his dress shirt.

I gave a laugh and looked away, not wanting him to see me blush. I walked up to the window and admired the lights of the city. "Sort of...I thought you were a ladies man?" I looked at him over my shoulder.

He chuckled, folding up his shirt and walking up the steps to what I figured was his bedroom. He was up there for a moment and came back down wearing a jeans and a long sleeve shirt, pushing up the sleeves. "I am, but I prefer to go to either their place or a hotel...it's easier to leave them that way."

I nodded. "Oh."

"And Amelia...she's beautiful and full of personality, but I didn't want to string her along like I do the other girls. I told you that night in New Orleans that if ever there were a woman that would make me change my ways, she'd be everything I'd ever need and ever want in another person...Amelia just isn't that woman." He had a pained look on his face.

I smiled and walked up to him, touching his arm. "You don't have to explain."

"She and I have decided to be friends. It's easier." He half-smiled, placing his hand on mine.

I nodded, gently taking back my hand and stepping away.

He took in a deep breath. "How 'bout instead of going out to eat, we have dinner here? Then we'll go to the bar."

I smiled, "Sure. Where's the kitchen?"

"In there." He smiled, pointing at a door, so I went ahead into that room and was amazed by the kitchen.

"I'll make dinner, you can sit or fix yourself a drink." He grinned, walking around the counter.

"I'll make you a drink, I'm gonna abstain from drinking tonight." I chuckled, walking to the bar. "That last time I drank with you, I ended up hammered and stupid."

He laughed. "That was a good night."

"For you maybe." I laughed, fixing him an Old Fashioned. I came back to the breakfast bar and set down his drink for him, taking a seat on the stool.

"Thanks." He smiled, going to the fridge and taking out a snapple, setting it in front of me. I smiled back at him and thanked him.

After taking a drink, I looked at him as he prepared dinner. "You live here alone then?"

He nodded.

"So then maybe instead of you being Christian Grey, you're Dorian Gray. Eternally youthful, handsome, alone. Do you have a portrait of yourself locked away in a room somewhere?" I chuckled.

He laughed and shook his head. "No, I don't...you think I'm handsome?" He looked up at me with that impish smile.

I grinned back, "Indubitably."

He threw his head back and laughed, "I love your choice of words."

After dinner at his place, he called a cab for us to take downtown, when I asked him why he said that he planned on having a couple drinks tonight, so I was glad that he was making a conscious decision to take a cab.

When we were dropped off at the venue, the line was incredibly long, but he ushered me along with him to the front of the line. "What are you doing?" I asked.

"Just wait." He smirked. Soon the bouncer noticed him and nodded, moving aside and letting us in. I smiled back at Christian and shook my head. He just smiled and led me inside.

The venue was packed but we managed to find a seat at the bar giving us a pretty good view of the stage. He ordered himself a beer and got me a lemonade. Over the commotion in the building, he turned to me. "I'm really glad you're here."

I laughed. "Same here."

When The xx took the stage, I was completely enamoured by them as they put on an amazing show. I was smiling the whole time and danced in my chair to their music. Christian seemed to be having a good time too, he was so relaxed especially in his casual attire, something I haven't seen in awhile.

The show ended at quarter to twelve and it took awhile to get outside. People were huddled outside smoking cigarettes and raving about the show and eventually the band came out to talk to the fans, but Christian and I were on the side waiting for our cab to arrive.

"That was fun." He smiled.

I nodded, rubbing my arms. It was a chilly night. "It really was, thanks for inviting me." I shivered, making myself laugh.

"Here." He pulled me close to him and held me, keeping me warm. I wasn't entirely comfortable with him doing this. "Christian?" I looked up at him. His blue gaze staring down at me and in that moment I was really lost in thought, I felt like I knew him better. Like the connection we had was stronger. We understood each other on another level. What he said about Amelia and preferring to go to hotels because it was easier to leave the girl, maybe it was because he knew he was hurting those women but couldn't give them what they needed emotionally. Maybe he wasn't given what he needed emotionally. And whenever we'd have brief talks about it, maybe he was giving me clues because he's either too proud or too embarrassed to say it. He needs to be taken care of. He needs someone who can be everything he'd ever need and ever want.

He began moving closer toward me, about to kiss me, but I stepped back so he could release me. "I think you've had a bit too much to drink." I forced a laugh, bothered by my revelation.

He dragged his hand through his hair and gave a laugh, shaking his head. "Yeah, you're right. I'm sorry, you're not one of those girls. Sorry." He stepped back, his cheeks turning red.

"Don't worry about it...the cab is here." I watched the vehicle pull up. We got in and it was only a short drive to SoHo to drop me off at my place. I slipped the cab driver a twenty. I hesitated for a moment and then put my hand on the handle. I turned to Christian, "Goodnight."

In the darkly lit backseat of the cab, I could feel his eyes on me and knew that he didn't have much to drink tonight. My heart pounded in my chest and it felt like it was in my head. Is this how it's supposed to be? Like in the movies, the guy and girl in the backseat of the cab throwing themselves at each other and going back to the other's place to spend the night. I've already had my movie moment, when Hudson and I left my party on his motorcycle. That was it. And we only get one. As far as I'm concerned we do...

I opened the door and got out, shutting it and going into my building and hearing the distant hum of the cab leave the building.

In our loft, I went into the bedroom and found Hudson fast asleep in bed, so after changing into my pyjamas, I crawled into bed next to him. My arm wrapped around him and my head on his chest. "You are all I need." I whispered.
♠ ♠ ♠
comment and subscribe