Sequel: Here With Me

Sunday in New York

Birthday

Image

July 9th, One week later

Today was my 22nd birthday and Amelia had come over to help me get ready for the party tonight. I was laying on my bed still in my pyjamas as Amelia went through my closet pulling out possible outfits as I shot each of them down.

"Ooh, how 'bout this? With those white heels and that cameo necklace." She had taken out a navy dress with white polka dots, noticing the tag still attached.

"No." I murmured, burying my face into a pillow. "Can't we just forget about this? Act like it's just another day and my birthday doesn't exist, and leave me here to wither away in my bed."

She gave a short laugh and ignored me, "You haven't even taken the tag off of this! C'mon Avery, you need to look good tonight."

"Why?" I smirked, being difficult to annoy her.

"If it's not for Eric, then it should be for Hudson." She sat on the edge of the bed, smiling at me.

I glared at her and then held out my hand, "Give me the dress."

After I had changed and put on a bit of makeup, I slowly opened the door of the bathroom and walked out. Amelia was smiling and clapped her hands, "Avery you look gorgeous!"

"I feel awkward." I laughed, adjusting my dress. "You don't think it's too short?"

She shook her head, "It's perfect Avery, and look at those legs! I didn't know you had them!" She laughed, fixing my hair for me.

I smirked and shook my head. Amelia cocked her head to the right and raised an eyebrow. "I still don't understand why you invited Hudson to a party that Eric is gonna be at. I mean, I'd love to meet Hudson and all, but don't you think it'll start some drama or something?" She shrugged her shoulders.

I gave a short laugh, "I don't care, Hudson's a great guy, he wouldn't start anything."

"But Eric on the other hand..."

I laughed again, "C'mon Amelia, let's just go!" I sighed, putting on my shoes.

"Wait, wait." She smiled.

"What?" I growled, looking at her over my shoulder.

"I've got something to tell you." She grinned.

I raised an eyebrow, waiting for her to continue. "Yes?"

She thought for a moment and shook her head, "Nah, forget it."

"Amelia, tell me or I will throw this dress out that window and I won't go to the party." I jumped up once.

She started laughing. "Fine then...I invited someone to the party too." She balled up her hands together and brought them underneath her chin, smiling like a little girl.

"Who?" I smiled back, feeling surprised but also getting excited.

She cleared her throat, "His name is Chester."

I started laughing, "What a cute name! Is he someone special?"

She bit her lip, "Yeah."

"Well then, let's go meet him!" I smiled, grabbing her hands and pulling her to the door to leave. "Tell me more about him on the way there!"

We went to this very posh lounge celebrating. Eric had taken the liberty of being the first to celebrate and he was already tipsy off the drinks. Amelia introduced me to Chester, he was sweet, a little quirky like Amelia, but very handsome like she said. Everyone was laughing and chatting amongst each other as I sat in between them all. I just listened to their conversations and stayed quiet. I glanced over to the doors and saw him coming into the restaurant. I smiled.

Wearing a distressed leather jacket and carrying a bike helmet, he made his way through the crowded lounge toward us.

He smirked and raised his arm, giving a small wave to me. There he was, tall, with dark hair and his green eyes. The lighting in the lounge complimented his slight tan, even making his light freckles more noticeable. Underneath his leather jacket, he wore a white t-shirt that clung to his muscular body and wore dark-wash jeans that fitted just right.

I blushed and looked down.

"Happy birthday." He spoke. His voice was like velvet; that made my heart race.

"Thank you." I softly replied.

We both shared a silent moment just gazing into each other's eyes, but my daydream was quickly interrupted by Eric clearing his throat.

"Everyone, this is Hudson. Hudson, this is Eric, Amelia my best friend, Chester her date, and our friends Jack, Liv, and Gwen." I smiled, introducing him.

His light eyes pierced right through me. I clenched my fist underneath the table. "Nice to meet you all." He nodded.

Eric piped in, being the defensive, jealous type. "Correction, I'm Eric, her boyfriend. Why don't you have a seat Hutchinson."

"It's Hudson." He politely corrected him, sensing the rude tone in Eric's voice.

"Hudson." Eric smirked.

"I will thank you." He sat down, next to Jack. Across the table from Eric.

"I think we need more champagne. Waiter...Waiter! Please, bring us some Moët, or Dom Perignon, whatever is expensive." Eric snapped his fingers at the waiter.

"Eric, please." I placed my hand on his shoulder.

"Avery, I only want the best for my girl. Would you look at my girl, look at her, she's gorgeous. It's been a long time since you've worn a dress. You look like a girl now." He burst out laughing.

I bit my lip and looked away.

He leaned into the seat and dropped his head back with a smirk, "And besides, you weren't as privileged to have champagne growing up, so take advantage of it now." He chuckled, nudging me with his elbow.

I quickly looked at him and made a face and sighed, offended by his offhand comment about my humble upbringing. I looked down at the drink menu, only to occupy my attention. The others all continued with their conversations and began laughing. I took a deep breath. That feeling was sinking in again. Where I felt that I could be in a room, crowded and surrounded my people, and still feel completely alone.

I raised my head and then noticed him watching me. His green eyes, that smirk. All at once it was as if the sound and commotion became muted, everyone was still talking and bustling about, but everything was silent as I stared into his eyes and softly smiled back.

"Babe?...Babe." Eric shook my shoulder and broke my reverie. I looked at him. "The champagne is here, and I can see the cake being brought over right now."

I just smiled.

The cake was set down on the table. It was small and heavily detailed with candles and sparklers on it. They all began singing the traditional song and that made me blush. By the end of it they cheered and clapped and Amelia begged me to make a wish. I thought for a moment and looked up, again my gaze being met by his. I smiled and leaned forward, blowing out the few candles which was received my more clapping and cheering.

"What did you wish for?" Liv asked.

I shrugged my shoulders and lightly laughed, "If I tell you it won't come true."

"Whatever, come on, let's cut the cake." Eric laughed.

While everyone enjoyed the cake and champagne, I excused myself from the table and went outside for some fresh air. I crossed my arms over my chest, feeling the coolness from the July evening. In the distance I could hear traffic, people laughing, talking. But underneath all of the noise, there was silence. Something I cherished and desired so often.

I was so caught up in my thoughts, I hadn't heard the restaurant doors open or footsteps approach. I was startled by the placement of a jacket over my shoulders. I gasped and quickly looked to my right.

"I'm sorry. You just looked cold." He spoke. Hudson stood there, tall and towering over me with an unlit cigarette in his mouth.

"Thanks." I half-smiled.

"You okay?" He asked.

I shrugged my shoulders and nodded, "Yeah, I guess so. It was just kind of overwhelming in there. I needed to get away from that." I lightly laughed as I looked down.

He smiled and nodded. We were silent for a moment and just looked into each other's eyes. We didn't need words. We didn't need cliché jokes or comments on the weather. All we needed was this moment.

"You wanna get outta here?" He asked, lifting up the bike helmet.

I hesitated, but looked past him through the windows of the lounge, seeing a drunk Eric laughing and standing up.

"Yeah." I smiled.

He smiled back and took his cigarette and put it back in it's carton. "Okay."

He took my hand and led me to the motorcycle. He handed me the helmet in which I immediately put on. I climbed onto the bike behind him and he soon started the bike, revving the engine and speeding off into the city.

We didn't sleep together that night. We just spent the entire night and early morning driving around the city that never sleeps. Walking through Washington Square Park, telling each other stories of our childhoods. Stories and secrets we've never shared with any one before. We talked to each other. We listened to each other. It was as if we had known each other our whole lives.

The next morning, we just laid there on his bed, wearing the same clothes from the previous night. I had nestled myself into the curve of his body, his strong arms wrapped around me.

"That was the best night I've ever had." He whispered.

"Same here." I softly smiled. He then placed his gentle hand on the side of my face and moved closer. I closed my eyes and softly his lips pressed against mine in a tender and soft kiss. We both smiled at each other and again I closed my eyes, but this time to sleep. Wrapped in his arms, for the first time in a long time, I felt secure.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comment and Subscribe :)

Avery's Dress