Sequel: Here With Me

Sunday in New York

The Call

Image

The next morning I awoke to hearing sounds from the kitchen and something drop on the floor. I rubbed my eyes and looked around the room, studying the simplicity of this New York apartment. Slowly I sat up and stretched, shivering as I placed my bare feet on the cool floor. I turned the doorknob and slowly opened the door, entering the other room where he was.

He turned around with a smile on his face, looking tired and his hair a mess. I smiled back and walked up to the dining table. We just watched each other for a while, until he quietly spoke up. "Would you like something to drink? I don't have coffee at the moment, but I just warmed up the kettle for some tea."

I smiled and nodded, "I really like tea. I'd love some."

He looked like he was blushing, he pushed his dark hair back and then gestured to the table. "Please, have a seat."

I quietly pulled out a chair and sat down as he fixed us both cups of tea. Soon he came and sat with me, passing me a cup. I held it for a while, letting it warm my hands. I closed my eyes and smiled. The sound of a chair moving caused me to open my eyes again, this time he got up and went into the other room. He then came back with a sweater placed it over my shoulders.

"Sorry, I forgot to turn the heat back up when we got back last...night." He looked down.

"Thank you." I softly smiled at him, my head tilted to the right.

"You just looked cold."

"I mean for last night." I softly replied. "Last night was probably the best night and birthday I've ever had."

His dark lashes fluttered before his green eyes as he blinked and cleared his throat. "I don't want this to result in something bad. Eric has a fiery attitude, I just don't want him to be upset."

I gave a short laugh, "Either way he will." Sighing, I then took a sip of the warm tea.

"But I don't regret last night either...I really like spending time with you. I just feel like we have a connection." He looked down. My heart skipped a beat and I smiled, "I feel the same way Hudson, I like you a lot."

His perfect lips formed into a shy smile, like a little boy. I had looked around the room until I noticed the time.

"Oh no, I'm late for work." I gasped, seeing that it was eleven o'clock.

He quickly turned to check the time, "Oh no, I'm so sorry." Quickly I stood up and went to his room to grab my bag, taking out my phone and texting my boss.

"I'm sorry Hudson, but I need to go." I sadly spoke.

"No it's fine, at least let me drive you to work. I feel terrible." He placed his hand behind his head as he stood there.

"It's not your fault. Don't feel bad. But are you sure you wouldn't mind driving me? I could take a taxi."

"Of course I'll take you, just let me quickly change." He then ran into his room. I walked into the living room and checked myself in the mirror hanging on the wall. My eyes then shifted to framed pictures on the fireplace. One was of a beautiful dark-haired woman with red lips, sitting pretty in a vintage dress holding a little dark-haired boy. I smiled, recognizing Hudson's shy smile.

My phone then chimed from receiving a text. I checked it out and it was from my boss. "You can work through lunch to make up for it. Get ur butt over here." I chuckled and agreed.

Quickly Hudson stumbled out of his bedroom putting on his shirt. I lightly laughed, walking up to him slowly. He froze as he watched me take off the sweater he had let me borrow. I then placed it over his shoulders and smiled, fixing his messy hair. He carefully watched me and then slowly began leaning down toward me. His soft lips pressing against mine in the most tender of kiss.

He gently pulled back and blinked, trying to remember what he was going to say. "Oh, uh...are you ready?"

I chuckled, "Yeah. I'm ready."

He drove me into the city and dropped me off at work. Imagine that, going to work in a dress. I laughed but remembered that I always kept a bag of extra clothes under my desk at work. So as my boss had ordered, I worked through lunch and to my regular quitting time, 7pm. I hailed a taxi when I got outside and got them to drive me home. Getting out of the taxi after paying, I looked up at my apartment balcony and saw that the light was on.

I made a face and walked up the stoop and entered the building. Upstairs as I arrived at my door, I took out my keys and placed them in the lock, realizing that the door was already unlocked. I hesitated and slowly entered in, peaking around the door to see what was up.

I gasped, seeing Eric sitting on the couch silently. I gave a sigh of relief, "Oh Eric, you scared the life out of me." I walked in and tossed my keys on the table, closing the door after me. "Did you use your spare keys to get in?"

"Yes I did." He spoke in an annoyed tone.

I just nodded and walked toward the bedroom. "I'm gonna change." I then heard his footsteps.

"Where were you?" He asked, I turned around and he was right behind me.

"Um, I was at Amelia's place." I lied.

"You were with him weren't you?"

"I don't know what you're talking about." I shook my head, turning to go into my room. He then roughly grabbed me by my shoulder and pulled me back. "Did you sleep with him?!"

"Let go of me Eric, you're hurting me!" I angrily pushed his hand away. "You need to leave."

"So I just wasn't good enough for you, huh?" He was backing me into the corner. "You just needed to go and screw some guy you met at a bookstore, didn't you?"

"Eric, I want you to leave. Get out of here!" I shouted.

"If you had stayed you would've gotten what you always wanted." He then took a box out of his pocket and opened it, showing a ring. I grabbed it from him and threw it.

"I don't want your stupid ring! I wouldn't ever want to marry you. Even if my life depended on it!" I tried to push past him but her shoved me against the wall. I went quiet, seeing the rage in his eyes as he stared down at me. It all went so fast as I was then struck across the face, falling down to the floor in a thud.

Quickly I held my face and tried to scramble to my feet, but a harsh blow to my side caused me to cry in pain. I was hunched over on the floor, holding my stomach and breathing shallowly. I felt his hand run through my hair until it gripped and yanked me up from the floor and he pressed me against the wall.

"You don't get to cheat on me. Don't you forget that Avery." He coldly spoke. He then turned me and hit my head against the frame of the door.

With all that I could work up, I managed to strike back and scratched his face as hard as I could. He hissed in pain and threw me to the floor again. I groaned in pain, trembling and silently crying.

He held his face and turned away, walking to the door and leaving quietly. Pressed up against the wall, I moved into the fetal position, crying in anger and frustration. Balling my fists up in my hair and sobbing face down. My tears mixing with the little blood on the floor. For a long time I lay there, shocked and upset on the floor, until finally I worked up the strength to reach for my bag that was also on the floor. The taste of blood in my mouth sickened me as I pulled out my phone and began searching through the contacts.

I knew I couldn't call Amelia, nor could I call my parents. Co-workers and friends were all out or either still working. I found a number and called it, hearing the dial tone praying that my call would be answered.

"Hello." His smooth voice answered.

"Hudson...Can you come over?"

"Avery, what is it?" A sound of panic filled his voice.

I closed my eyes, "I'm in room 403...I think I need to go to the hospital."

"I'm leaving right now. I'll be right there." He quickly spoke.

"Okay." I slowly whispered, the phone dropping from my hand.
♠ ♠ ♠
Ooh, pretty tense :{}

Leave a Comment