Status: pull up a chair and dig in.

Sinners Never Sleep

i was your chance to get out of this town

A fucking empty yogurt cup.

That was literally all that was in the fridge. I grabbed the empty thing and threw it into the trashcan before shuffling my feet over to Dee's room.

I knocked on the door loudly. Her music was blasting so I highly doubt she heard. No food in the refrigerator and now Sleeping With Siren's screams hurting my ears? This day was starting out pretty shitty.

I was getting impatient. My knocks turned into bangs and then I just opened the door.

"Whoah can't you knock?" Dee asked. She was lying on her bed while on her computer. I resisted the urge to cuss her out.

"There's nothing in the fridge! Weren't you supposed to go shopping?" I remembered annoying her about the lack of food last night. She had agreed to going out to get groceries.

Her eyes widened, "Shit. I forgot." She threw her head back on the pillows and shut her eyes. "I'll do it later."

I rolled my eyes. Days like these, I regret letting my younger sister move in with me. "Yeah, you better. Listen I have to go to work soon but you should really do something about your room. It smells like an old guy's ballsack."

She took a sniff and wrinkled her nose. I closed her door and walked across the hallway into my own room. I grabbed my towel and headed for the bathroom.

My long showers were important to me because they were the only times where I really had time to think about things. Boys, work, the future, family...anything. This shower consisted of thoughts about my sister who seemed to be taking advantage of my generous hospitality.

I needed to do something about it but maybe I would save those ideas for the next long shower. I got out, dried my hair and changed into my work outfit which was high waisted blue shorts, some brown sandals, a floral crop top that I tucked in, and a beanie. I was feeling a bit reckless with my outfit today.

My thick hair was being better than usual so I let it become its naturally wavy self and left it down.

I worked at a cupcake bakery. It was actually alot of fun because you could experiement with new flavors and there was no dress code for the people who worked in the back. You just had to wear an apron and that was all.

I drove my green Ford Fiesta over to the shop which was called 'Sunshine Bakery'. It was named after the boss' kid who was actually pretty bratty.

I walked in through the back and threw one of the frilly pink aprons on. It wasn't so bad but all the ruffles got annoying when making batter.

My usual work schedule consisted of making, baking, and frosting a shitload of vanilla, chocolate, marble, and then the surprise flavor.

Today the surprise flavor was pumpkin. Not too bad. Sometimes, we get some really weird or creepy ones. Surprisingly, people actually still buy them.

All the vanillas and chocolates were done and ready to go. I tricked the intern into making the marble so that I could get out earlier. As I injected yet another pumpkin cupcake with its whipped cream filling, I got a phone call.

None of my co-workers seemed to be paying attention so I walked out back and answered. "Hello?"

"Kelsey, darling. It's your mother." I recognized the voice instantly and regretted answering. She kept trying to get me to come to Maryland to visit. I really didn't want to.

Maryland was never really my scene. I lived in California all my life with my mom and my sister. When my cousin Lisa died, my mom packed up and moved out East to be with her sister(my aunt).

She had begged me and Dee to go with her but we refused. We never knew our father and all our grandparents were already dead when I was born so we were never good with death or people leaving us. I shed a few tears for Lisa but I never felt like visiting her family would be right.

Although, she was one of my favorite cousins. She came and spent her summers in California with us all through our childhood. Maybe Maryland wouldnt be so bad?

"Oh..." I said awkwardly, "Hey mom."

"Listen honey, I really would like you and your sister to come out here." I contemplated on hanging up on her right before she added, "Please don't hang up on me again"

Damn, I thought. I hung up on her last time and blamed it on the "poor connection".

"I...I don't know mom." I started. I was going to start lying about how I just got some important raise and it wouldn't be right.

"Please", she practically begged. That was it. I had to do it. I never wanted to make my mom have to beg her own daughter to do something.

"Fine." I muttered. She let out this noise that was like a cross between a squeal and a giggle and I assumed it was out of excitement.

"I'll see you soon then. Oh thank you so much, sweetheart. You will not regret it!" She said happily.

I told her I had to get back to work and hung up. I ran a hand through my hair. What the hell did I just do?

I finished the last few pumpkin cupcakes quickly and left a note for the boss that said I was going to be going away for a couple of weeks.

I drove home and practiced in my mind how I would tell Dee. She definitely didn't want to go so I knew it might be a struggle getting her to pack and actually board the plane.

The ride home seemed faster than usual. Ughh...

I opened the door slowly and hung my purse on the jacket rack that was by the door. The music was still blasting from her room.

When I opened her door, the room smelled better but it looked like she had never moved. She was still in her plaid PJs and was still lying on her bed on her computer.

"Dee, we're going to Maryland." I expected her to begin yelling so I started to defend myself. "In my defense, mom wa-"

"Okay, when do we leave?" She said flatly. I was taken aback. Where was the teenage angst!?

"Um..well we have to buy the tickets and find out who is going to watch the apartment." I explained. She nodded her head.

"Why are you not freaking out? I thought you hated the idea of going to Baltimore?" I blurted out.

"Eh..I got over it. Besides, I miss mom. I actually kind of want to see the Ruocco clan." She said quietly. I smiled at her before closing the door and heading to my room.

We were going to Maryland, it was official. The more I thought about it, the more I wanted to do it. I was ready to get out of my normal surroundings. I wanted to meet new people, go on new adventures.

Hopefully Maryland would be exactly what I needed.
♠ ♠ ♠
kelsey's outfit: http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/set?id=54707412